Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 06:32PM

I don't believe in a lot of the crap they put out there, but I actually still try to stay prepared and keep food storage on hand. I sure as heck don't have a year supply, but I think it's a good principle to save in times of plenty in preparation for the lean times.

I also put my family first (even though that's just lip service with the morg). I actually practice it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 06:52PM

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 06:53PM

I don't have a food storage plan but it makes a lot of sense. Nobody can argue with putting your family first.

I believe in a lot of LDS doctrine. Not neccessarily because it's LDS but because it just happens to make sense to me anyway.

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 06:54PM

the only parts of kolobian tradition that make sense are the parts that aren't unique to kolobianism, like food storage and family preservation.

Posted by: KB ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:19PM

I believe defining a mixture of jell-o, cool whip, vanilla wafers and raspberries as a "salad" is perfectly fine.

I believe that Saturday is a special day, because it's the day we get ready for Sunday. I really like to have all the work done on Saturday so I can just hang out on Sunday.

I'm always glad when grandpa comes to stay because he babysits so I can go on a date with my wife.

I still look out the window and see popcorn popping on the apricot tree every spring.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 08:51PM

I know lots of teachers that are resolvable for kids as young as 4 or 5 years old.

Now here is a moral dilemma question for you...If something like the recent disaster in Japan is happening in the area where the teacher teaches and during the time while the teacher is teaching, thus responsible for 30 children that are 4 or 5 years old does the teacher:

A) Place their own family first and abandon those 30 young children and dash off to take care of their own family?

Or

B) Place the safety of the those 30 young children first hoping that the other teachers are taking care of their kids?

Is putting "family first" always the correct moral action?

And another question:

Is a church that would exclude a mother from her daughter's wedding because the mother did not meet the worthiness requirements set by the church really teaching "family first" values?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 08:53PM by MJ.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 08:53PM

But I usually keep my children and grandchildren close at hand -- so I might be cheating somewhat.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:01PM

Itisnt just Kolobians that harp on about us being children of god and children have to grow up some time.

I did like the idea that there was a proper progression and things happend.

I didnt like the basic christian stuff of our sole reason for existing is to worship someone who really has no good reson for us worshipping him as he dsoent need it.

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:01PM

I seal myself to tons of women without them knowing. So far after I die I get:

Natalie Portman
Grace Kelly
Audrey Hepburn
Kate Beckensale
etc....

Won't they be surprised when they get to heaven.....

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:03PM

We also are spiritually wed.

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:06PM

Shakes fist at sky....Natalie!!!!!

Date: May 19, 2011 08:58PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 08:44PM

I know it's true because I believe it.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:02PM

I agree with a small food storage too, but I don't go crazy with it. Buying stuff in bulk makes sense if our family uses it and it's less expensive, but I don't go for the year plus storage, either. Most of the time, there's simply no place to put things and they tend to go bad. I can't believe the amount of money I wasted over the years on wheat...

I too, put my family first. I agree with you wholeheartdedly on that one also. Mormons just blow a lot of hot air at that one, especially when it comes to $. Imagine giving the church your kid's college education account? Insane...

The only other mormon teaching that I agree with is taking care of your body. Curiously, mormons as a general rule don't often exercise or watch what they eat or even get the proper sleep, though that's part of the Word of Wisdom as well. Yet, some mormons harp on and on about not smoking, drinking liquor & coffee, etc. etc. Pretty hypocritical to knock people for not following a law that you yourself don't completely follow.

So glad I got away from the cult...

Posted by: george ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:03PM

"Man is that he might have joy." One teaching I like. Also, "The Glory is God is intelligence." I continue reading from the best books. I keep family out in front (church probably doesn't like that). I still maintain most of the WoW ideas. With seventy years under my belt, why change? (except for iced tea, bring it on). I am now into meditation, not that the church really suggested it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 07:04PM by george.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:09PM

I know that isn't an idea that originated with Mormonism but that is where I learned it. That's about the only moral guidance I have anymore. Seems to be working for me.

Date: May 19, 2011 07:12PM

Shameless grift.

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:13PM

My wife and I went through the Temple before they quit making the women covenant to "obey your husband"! I occasionally remind her of that covenant..... she thinks I am kidding! Just because most of it is crap doesn't mean you should toss it all.

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:23PM

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 08:30PM

FYI

Pre 1990 sisters covenanted to "obey the law of their husband"

Now, they covenant to "obey the law of the Lord" and hearken unto their husbands counsel

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_ceremony.htm

Posted by: Anonymous ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 09:48PM

Law of Obedience (women): You and each of you solemnly covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar that you will each observe and keep the law of the Lord and hearken unto the counsel of your husband as he hearkens unto the counsel of the Father. Each of you bow your head and say "Yes."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:27PM

We have some food storage and emergency preparedness stuff but I tend to think more in terms of a couple of weeks or months, rather than cataclysmic end of the world, year's supply.

I don't smoke either or cheat on my spouse or steal etc. Most of the Christian stuff Mormons teach but often don't live by, I still think is important.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:28PM

Date: May 19, 2011 09:19PM

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 08:47PM

Well I've never been all that big on raping and killing. Lusting after my neighbor's wife turned out to be way more trouble than it was worth.

So other than floating down the gutter a time or two I guess I follow some LDS teachings.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 08:58PM

Except on the weekends, especially if the weather is lovely for BBQ.

I also like to scrapbook and am pretty thrifty.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 09:36PM

I like the food storage idea, but I don't take it to extremes as a few weeks to maybe 3 months are adequate for most situations. The portable kit is even more important since if there's a mandatory evacuation, someone won't be able to carry a full year's supply of food. When I buy things in bulk, it's things that I normally eat, and I don't have a lot of room for storage so there's a lot of things I don't buy in bulk.

I didn't need a church to tell me not to smoke, so even though I've left, I still don't smoke. I do follow the concept of moderation, as there's a lot of benefits to coffee and tea, especially green tea, and I don't really eat a lot of red meat.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 09:39PM

I still don't smoke or do drugs. I still don't drink alcohol, coffee, tea, or even cola drinks. I shall remain virginal. Those things were 'me' before I became Mormon, so they're still me.

However, I no longer pay tithing, go to church, read my scriptures, or pray, and I like the occasional colourful word.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 09:42PM

Anything that makes good sense,(always have some food storage, don't smoke, don't steal or covet), universals truths like: love one another, the Golden Rule, service. I like these ideas: man is that he might have joy,line upon line.
There are others, I'm sure, but that's all that comes to mind right now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 09:43PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 09:57PM

What? We don't know that we teach that? Dude!?!?

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 10:03PM

In fact I have tried harder to do better as a human being, just in case TBMs are watching me to accuse me of being worse, now that I have fallen so far into apostacy

I find things like, Kindness - Honesty - Integrity - Friendliness - Compassion - Sympathy - Sorrow - Charity. etc...
are things though cannot be specifically ascribed to the Mormon church in particular, are good to hold on to.

JB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.