Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BOMusical ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 04:35AM

This video has been linked to before but the thread closed so here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobQRytGvp8

It's an interview with Joy Behar, Donny and Marie Osmond.

Some of my observations one is the issue of Polyandry. The main issue that many people have expressed is that Donny Osmond claims to have never heard the term Polyandry.

However on Donny Osmond's website it is noted in answering a question about the Patriarchal Order:

"[Donny] stated that polygamy exists but not polyandry because of patriarchal order."

http://www.donny.com/question/doctrinal_specific_queries-questions_and_answers/patriarchal_orderwhat_is_that

So either Donny doesn't actually answer the questions on his website himself or he was lying. He doesn't mention Joseph Smith's Polyandry on his website so maybe he is ignorant about that, who knows.The other issue is divorce being "serial polyandry" in Marie's case especially if she maintained a relationship with the first husband. This is especially true when talking about "eternal commitments" that Temple marriage is supposed to be about.

As for the creepiness factor Donnie is being extremely creepy and controlling. It does remind me a lot of Tom Cruise. However Donny fails, it is funny how Joy owns him everytime he tries to. This is especially true with Joy turning the popping the question into popping p*ssy!! Poor Marie didn't get the reference but Donny did.

As for bringing up Mormonism, I think Donny and Marie wear it on their sleeves so it's fair game.

I like the response to Donny's "13 million, more mormons outside the US" Joy just replies "Oh really where are they?" and then Marie's response "We are still looking for them."

I'll give Joy the answer that they should have: 2/3 of them are "less active" and don't consider themselves mormon. Outside the US activity rates are even more dismal, with ficticious baptisms galore!!

It seems Marie has heard about "untruths" in the Book of Mormon Musical, it also contains a lot of truth. For example "Turn it off" about supressing homosexuality contains a sad truth despite the catchy tune. I remember reading that one of her adopted children committed suicide because of their homosexuality. Maybe Marie would learn something from the musical.

They try to argue that Mitt Romney's Mormonism is the same as JFK's Catholicism, but Romney is no Kennedy. Kennedy wasn't a devout leader in Catholicism, a previous Pope had never run for President before, set up an alternative government or been anointed King in the US. Romney failed where Kennedy was succesful. The fact is people do view Mormonism as weird.

They can't simultaneously argue that Book of Mormon Musical proves they are mainstream and then say that it doesn't reflect their beliefs and attack the play. While they do have a point about all religions, there are degrees. Mormonism as it exists today is an extreme. I do have to give it to the Church though their response to the Musical was actually impressive.

As Joy says and every review I've read the BOM Musical is a masterpiece which deserves the 14 Tony's it has been nominated for. It is sad that because of their closed mindedness Donny and Marie will both miss out on it.

D&M were right about one thing it is very important to be careful where you get your information from and definately don't Google if you want answers. That is if you want to stay a Mormon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 06:00AM

BOMusical Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They try to argue that Mitt Romney's Mormonism is the same as JFK's Catholicism, but Romney is no Kennedy. Kennedy wasn't a devout leader in Catholicism, a previous Pope had never run for President before, set up an alternative government or been anointed King in the US. Romney failed where Kennedy was succesful. The fact is people do view Mormonism as weird.

Going into the 1960 presidential election, citizens were very worried about JFK's Catholocism. There was concern among the Protestants and others that JFK's decision-making would be controlled by the Pope. Average, middle of the road Catholics knew that JFK, being likewise, was no more likely to closely follow the Pope's counsel than they were. However the rest of the country would have to find that out through experience.

> They can't simultaneously argue that Book of Mormon Musical proves they are mainstream and then say that it doesn't reflect their beliefs and attack the play. While they do have a point about all religions, there are degrees. Mormonism as it exists today is an extreme.

I agree. Mormonism is a highly controlling religion. Mormons are told what to wear (down to their church-sponsored underwear,) are banned from ingesting routine substances, are assigned to their church "volunteer" work, hold closed weddings, often feel compelled to "donate" two years of their lives to missionary service, spend inordinate amounts of time in church and on church-related activities, are forced to tithe and make numerous other offerings if they want the full benefit of church membership, are told how and how not they are to express themselves sexually, are forced to entertain official church visitors in their homes, are subject to frequent and intrusive interviews and disciplinary procedures, and are often hounded if they fall into inactivity.

Any one or two of these facts about the church might not be conclusive. However when you add them up, the result is a church that would be considered controlling and extreme by most people.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 07:24PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BOMusical Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They try to argue that Mitt Romney's Mormonism
> is the same as JFK's Catholicism, but Romney is no
> Kennedy. Kennedy wasn't a devout leader in
> Catholicism, a previous Pope had never run for
> President before, set up an alternative government
> or been anointed King in the US. Romney failed
> where Kennedy was succesful. The fact is people do
> view Mormonism as weird.
>
> Going into the 1960 presidential election,
> citizens were very worried about JFK's
> Catholocism. There was concern among the
> Protestants and others that JFK's decision-making
> would be controlled by the Pope. Average, middle
> of the road Catholics knew that JFK, being
> likewise, was no more likely to closely follow the
> Pope's counsel than they were. However the rest of
> the country would have to find that out through
> experience.

If Kennedy had repeatedly engaged in a secret Catholic ritual in which he consecrated all his possessions, time, and talents and everything with which he might be blessed [like maybe the presidency?] to the building up of the Catholic Church, then I think there would be grounds for making the parallel.

If any candidate has repeatedly engaged in such a secret ritual I think the voters should know about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 07:29PM by baura.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:27AM

I don't think he was wearing the regulation jesus jammies at all but he was in such an attacking and lying mind frame, he just did the quick look down blink and said he was.

IMHO they both are artists at misrepresentation and lying. Very incongruent in what they say and what they do. Not my kind of people. Integrity and honesty - I don't think so.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:46AM

I saw Marie on some talk show, maybe Oprah after her son's death. She said he wasn't gay. She does have a gay daughter that she admits is gay and says there's nothing wrong with it, so I think if her son had been gay she'd admit it.

Posted by: BOMusical ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 02:37PM

I only read Roseanne's loud mouthed attack after the suicide and I never saw any response from Marie. Suicide is a horrible thing especially when people are throwing false accusations about the person who killed themselves. So I apologize about continuing the spread of quite a hurtful thing.

It seems Marie is one of the only Mormons who has the right idea about gay marriage so you have to give her credit for that. I wonder what Donny's view is on gay marriage.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 11:24AM

Re: Marie's gay children: I wonder . . . if men are more valued by LDS, Inc., perhaps it is more acceptable for a daughter to be gay than a son?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 01:30PM

It seems to be OK if two female "old maids" (you know, girls 25 or older) live together, even for a lifetime. And even if it's pretty obvious that they're Lesbian, they take a don't ask--don't tell approach to it. Look at Sherry Dew. We probably all know female couples who have been together so long they're thought of as a couple by everyone in the church. And quite often they are. Even if they're not, no one cares if they are roomies for life.

But if two guys live together, they're hounded, especially if there is any suspicion at all that they might be gay. If they aren't, just don't want to get married, but want to have a lifetime partner, it is never accepted. They would be pressured to marry until death.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 01:37PM

Q: how many lesbians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: who cares?

(meaning this is a reflection of how society feels about lesbians -- it is not my wife's personal opinion)

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 03:12PM

And when Donnie said we practice the same thing in the temple that they did in Solomon's time. That's a crock. Per FAIR, they practiced the ritualistic slaughter of animals n Solomon's temple. Masonry (on which the LDS temple ceremony is based) has it's origins in the Middle Ages.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 04:01PM

ARE sme Mos trying to tell that they had 'Temple Marriages' in the O.T. temples? That's WEIRD!

I myself don't understand why Christ would worry about 'money changers' if the temple was corrupted, not endorsed by God.

Oh Well

Posted by: Questioner ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 08:56PM

Marie IS A LIAR, or does not keep track of her life very well. She stated in this interview she has been divorced for six years. In her book, "Might As Well Laugh About It Now", she was married to Brian Blosil at Christmas time 2006. In the book, he left the family to go back to Utah when Marie was out touring for Christmas concerts. Per Marie, everyone was miserable when he was around. This led Marie to question whether she wanted to continue the marriage. She filed for divorce in March 2007. (I do not know the exact date the divorce was granted) This would only make it four years between her divorce and remarriage to Golddigger and Adulterer Stephen Craig. I think Marie wants everyone to think her life is going to perfect now with Golddigger and Adulterer Steve Craig and would like everyone to forget she had a "Sealed Forever Together in the Temple Marriage" with Brian Blosil.

Posted by: Belle ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 09:49PM

Last I knew a man named Verl Doman used to do the belief's section of Donny's website. I think that is the right first name - in any event he was a senior citizen, experienced public affairs missionary with the LDS Church. His wife also. ( Google him)

It used to be a female fan who converted to the church because of the Osmonds who did this for Donny but he booted her out for Verl Doman. Patriarchy and priesthood being what it is, I guess. She did it for a long time.

I think Donny himself used to do it early on and for a very short while. If you read some of Donny's answers from that time there is oftentimes an elaboration or further explanation from Bev ( the convert fan) attached to Donny's answer. I think she may have screened questions for Donny AND sent him research to facilitate his answers.

There were hard feelings when he discontinued her service.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:01PM

Donnie could very well be telling the truth as most ppl I talk to in the church do not know about Polyandry.

This is the church's biggest dirty secret outside of the book of abraham.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.