Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 04:55PM

It's really cheap (30k), good condition, a modular on about 1/3 acre, a foreclosure (would get a full inspection first), in a little town (pop 1000) that's only part Mormon, not too far from places I like to go (canyons), and would give me a cheap base while I get my act together financially.

Would I be crazy to buy something in Utah? I can't afford anything much more and everything's too expensive. I'm tired of moving and renting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 05:59PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 06:01PM

-EXTREMES in Politics

-EXTREMES in temperature / climate

I guess that lets me OUT, huh?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 06:22PM

lostinutah, do you have a reliable cash flow? Will you be happy to live there indefinitely, in case you need to? Such a move could secure your retirement, if you stick with it.

Many years ago, I bought a cheap two bedroom attached house here in North California. I have re-financed a couple of times to lower my monthly mortgage payment. That was my best financial move ever. Now I'm retired, and my mortgage payment is very low.

Date: May 20, 2011 06:38PM

I have a small cash flow and the house would be financed by a friend, so she would be OK if I had a month or two every so often I couldn't pay. But I would want to pay it off fast, say in five years or so.

I could stay there indefinitely, it would be OK. It's right on the edge of the desert, which I like, also great for dogs.

I'm a terrible commitment phobe, after being stuck most of my life taking care of others. But I need a place to live bad.

Posted by: surfkitty ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 07:17PM

Dang, 30k? Is that unusual for those parts? Because if I had a job and could buy a house for 30k I'd jump on it (even if it was in Utah.)

Date: May 20, 2011 07:26PM

Yup, 30k, and it's in good shape but needs a yard put in. But you have to LOVE the desert. Which I do. I'm going to go see the inside tomorrow. I looked through the windows (with permission) and it looks OK.

It's unusual for there, but not unheard of. It's a small town w/ not much going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 07:27PM by lostinutah.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 07:33PM

No I'd rather stay in the mission field, thank you.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 08:34PM

I say Why Not? IF there aren't 90% Mormons around you, if you like the area...scenery and all, if you can see yourself getting around in the winter....I see no reason not to. The price is right. If it is mostly desert maybe winter is not too much of a problem. You have to think of it regarding "things to do" or perhaps you want quiet and serene. Only you know if it would work for you. The key was a mix of Mormons and nonmormons, so with that info I say "go for it!"

Posted by: Thread Killler ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:18PM

Sure, why not? Maybe you'll find another $40,000 in the attic!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/20/man-finds-40000-cash-utah-home-returns-owners/

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:45PM

And it were a really big one, I'd buy one of those condos in the Mo Vatican. Not one overlooking the temple though.

Otherwise, no.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 12:56AM

Certainly, I love the scenery just not all the people. But if it's anywhere close to where my SIL lives no way.

stormy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.