Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:06PM

were told the name of the second token of the Melchizedek PH?

You know, "Health in the navel, marrow in the bone, etc..."

I remember thinking..."you have got to be kidding me! I am expected to repeat that?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:08PM

"that is not a name. It just isn't. Nothing has a name that long, not even my Spanish ancestors."

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:09PM

I hope my daughter felt the same thing. She is a convert and told me two days before going to the Temple that she was going. I told her nothing spiritual was going to go on there and I felt very sorry for her. So if she had the thoughts you had I'd sure be happy.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:12PM

Perfect end to the most fucked up day I've ever had.

Date: May 20, 2011 10:19PM

You guys are so funny. You make a sad mom of a convert laugh....and we need that. Thanks.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:17PM

K, any minute now a camera man and a bunch of my friends are gonna jump out and start laughing. This can't be serious. Oh, wait, it is serious because god will not be mocked and certainly-No loud laughter!

Date: May 20, 2011 10:21PM

Love it....yes, don't laugh although you must have wanted to. The Candid Camera reference would be what I would think of as well. And it just goes on and on being ridiculous generation after generation. Don't you guys talk to your parents about those odd statements? Or aren't you allowed to?

Date: May 20, 2011 11:03PM

They time the endowment perfectly so you are on your way out the door, to a mission or a marriage. There really isn't a way to bring it up years later without seeming like a doubter.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:57PM

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 11:01PM

I kept wondering if I would have to repeat the thing from the beginning every time I messed up a word, the way they make the poor Priests do over the sacrament prayer.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 11:01PM

Also if this the rational for the new name

New Name: Rev 2:17 "To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it."

What a farce!

So no MAN knows the name expect the one who receives it!

Hmmmmm now how is that for a fake out!

Posted by: SisterSue ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 11:05PM

of Houldah on my wedding day in 1985 when I had to give the new name upon the five points of fellowship through the veil. I thought, "OMG, I'm going to nearly have sex with someone that I can't see." It's okay to do that, but don't think about sex outside of marriage. Okay, I don't believe in that crap any more. Whew!

Date: May 20, 2011 11:06PM

Houldah?

Houldah?

Oh, I am SO SORRY.

Date: May 21, 2011 09:33AM

You guys are killing me here. Meant for SisterSue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 09:52AM by honestone.

Posted by: SisterSue ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 11:12PM

My boys yell it in Walmart when they can't find me. My never-Mo husband (second marriage) tells me to "holda his rod." I've never been struck for lightning either.

Date: May 20, 2011 11:14PM

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 11:15PM

Yeah, the perfect end to a really stressful screwed up day.

I was on my way to going on a mission and being the new missionary in the session they had me go up there in the prayer circle to learn the true order of prayer WITH MY MOTHER. Fine and dandy, but I had just been in a fight with my mom before we showed up at the temple and I was really ticked off at her. "Only the best of feelings should accompany those who are in the prayer circle, blah blah blah..." I'm thinking, great, now I'm really going to hell. I'm raging mad at my mother and I have to stand with her in the prayer circle.

Then we top it all off with the nonsense at the veil.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 11:18PM

Out of curiosity I looked up online the endowment ceremony before I went (secretly of course). Unknowingly, I read the Pre-1990 version, so the whole endowment was a lot less weird than I was expecting.

In hindsight now, i think it's so stupid. How about spending A few hours doing something of real value like mentoring kids, or community service. Heck, even taking care of your yard to keep the neighborhood home values up would be better!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 01:25AM

I always thought the temple was kind of mystical and spooky, in a witchcraft sort of way. The whole thing really scared me the first time so by the time I got to the veil, I was just so relieved it was almost over and it wasn't going to get even weirder. Even in the days when I more or less liked going to the temple, it was never spiritual. More ritualistic - like Druids or something.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 01:54AM

Date: May 21, 2011 09:34AM

After all these responses you sure do. Thanks for the laugh also.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:03AM

I didn't think much other than WTF...repeatedly

It became my mantra in the temple

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:38AM

It didn't bug me.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:56AM

...and remember, this was after pantomiming my own violent demise three times, finding out my new name was the name of a girl I hated, realizing that I wasn't going to learn any secrets of the universe, doing the most sacred thing in the world--changing my robe to a different shoulder, and all the other total nonsense, my brain was so numb that all I could think was "WHEN will it be over." I was so glad when I got back to the locker room so I could cry where no one could see me. The only thing going through my head was "WHAT the heck was THAT?"

Date: May 21, 2011 09:20AM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
doing the most sacred thing in the
> world--changing my robe to a different shoulder,
> and all the other total nonsense,

Ludicrous.

Date: May 21, 2011 09:55AM

Yep, and I guess you kept saying...Get me out of here!!! Sorry you had to endure all that.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 01:57PM

NormaRae Wrote:
realizing that I wasn't going to learn any secrets of the
> universe, doing the most sacred thing in the
> world--changing my robe to a different shoulder,
> and all the other total nonsense, my brain was so
> numb that all I could think was "WHEN will it be
> over." I was so glad when I got back to the
> locker room so I could cry where no one could see
> me. The only thing going through my head was
> "WHAT the heck was THAT?"

The whole thing was completely baffling to me...I kept thinking THIS is what I have been told is so "sacred and special" that it can't be spoken of?

I had always wondered about the term "taking out your endowments" and had in mind some kind of physical object that I would take home with me. I still came out of the temple wondering what "endowments" were.

After all the other folderol, the new name was nothing!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 10:08AM

Sadly, I had that thing memorized at one point. I could probably still recite it, if I sat and thought about it for a few minutes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.