Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 04:26PM

My friend recently received a request for an appointment with the stake president. He said he had no idea why they wanted to talk to him. I said it was because you seized the opportunity at F&T meeting to give a church talk. (He is never asked to give a talk because he's been married 4X, so his stock is real low). You talked about Christ- they will be calling you to a position in the Elders Quorum. Anybody who says anything remotely inspiring gets a calling out of it.

He laughed and said, Nah, it doesn't work that way. Well, they did, so now he tells me he is being set apart and does not want to invite his family. Wants me to come (cold day in hell) and his children, but not his five siblings who live nearby.

I asked why not and he said "I don't know. I just don't want them there." I suggested it was because they are judgmental and would be whispering because he is 60+ and so thrilled about being called to be second counselor. That it's not important enough position. He agreed.

Is this common that there is a timeline of some kind? That by age 40, expected PL position is....by age 50 it should be....etc?

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 04:33PM

aka the General Authorities. (yack)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 06:32PM

family that attended-one or two people. An unmarried person might have their parents there. A wife or husband would have their spouse there.
It's not a big deal. It's more of a private thing. I was not "Set Apart" for every "Calling" I accepted.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 12:41AM

Well, then I wonder what the big deal is? I guess I thought it was going to be done in front of the congregation.

ANa

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.