Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:48PM

Was hangin at my mo friends today with her and some of her 12 kids. I decided to ask her some religious stuff like she does to me. I asked her first if she believed everything, and she said, I think so, why?

So I asked her if and when she knew JS was a polyg. She was like, I don't know when I knew that. Then, do you know about the Adam-God theory? Nope, never heard of that. She said that God means different things to different people.

Then I asked her about polygamy in heaven, and she said, I have heard people discussing it, but it doesn't matter to me, we just have to have faith that it will all work out. Also that she has never heard of it in scriptures.

I also asked her about the different versions of the first vision. Then she said, well, whatever books are going to have different versions. I told her that scriptures have different versions (not sure on that) and that there are different versions in books written by and put out by the church.

I am not good at the details, but she just says it will all work out. That the person who really matters in heaven (C kingdom) is your spouse, and that is it.

Her dh works for COB/ROB and makes darn good money with no degree, and can retire earlier than someone else. Of course she thinks this way, it is her livelihood. I don't think she realy has any doubts, I don't get that. I always had questions. Anything that she wonders about she just says will work out and it will all be good.

My gf abused me for years as a child, and the resulting issues as you can imagine were life-altering. I told her I do not want to be forced to be with him or around him and forgive him, and she said that you will udnerstand when you die, and that he had an illness, and i feel sorry for people like that. Whatever happened to free agency? I'm sick in my own ways, so thats fine and I should never try to get to feeling better>

At least I didn't get upset. I just thought I would ask. I wonder what will come of it. But she just blindly accepts it all, and she is much smarter than that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:55PM

I have a friend whose intelligence I always admired. But when I told her that I'd left the Church, she really doubled-up her efforts at church, would hear of no ill words towards it, and dumped me after 30 years of friendship.

Now I wonder how someone so intelligent can believe without a single doubt in her mind. She really has none.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:57PM

That the person who really matters in heaven (C kingdom) is your spouse, and that is it.

Er....The only persons that matter in Heaven are the the God head

You see this is the kind of strange stuff that makes me wonder what the hell!

I had a conversation with my TBM VT and I am not sure what they believe because I NEVER believed this rubbish!

I guess I never had a testimony of the church.

Isn't it funny, they are not concerned with my faith in Christ and God, it is about the Church!

Yuck!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 09:50PM

IMHO, the Most Important thing to know abt MoMism is (at least includes)

Simon Says: Pray, Pay Obey

Don't bother us about Christian Basics: they either Don't exist, or, we d/won't acknowledge them!

Mormonism is a religion that will Completely take over your life:

It's not 'Do What Is Right'; It's not 'Live the Golden Rule'

it's devoid of substance, it's surrendering your personal sense of good/bad, Right / Wrong to those above you on the next rung of the ladder.

This suggests what Sociologist James A. Beckford has classified the organizational structure as Totalizing, characterized by an assertive leadership, specific and narrow objectives, control over competing demands on members' time and energy, and control over the quality of new members. Other characteristics of the classification include likelihood of friction with secular authorities, reluctance to co-operate with other religious organizations, a high rate of membership turnover, a low rate of doctrinal change, and strict uniformity of beliefs among members... (this comment is regarding his assessment of JWs)

IOW, emasculation of the individual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 10:35PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 10:29PM

The information could eventually free them or perhaps cause their brains to go mushy with time.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 12:32AM

It's so easy to think/say "it'll all work out". After that, no more thinking is required.

I remember hearing some women talk about polygamy long ago and one said not to worry; if we reach the CK we'll be perfect and there'll be no jealousy or family problems.

Posted by: Dr. Nick ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 12:33AM

Hi everybody

Mormons are conditioned all their lives to obey. When they encounter conflicting information, they compartmentalize it; they have to. As many other posters will confirm, Mormons are taught that their church is the only true one and that happiness can only be found within the church. Considering those 2 tidbits, TBMs will rationalize anything because the alternative is much more unpleasant, namely that everything they have built their identity and lives around is a fraud. Then add the communal social pressures and the resultant ostracization of questioning members, it's no wonder that TBMs hide behind blind faith; it is impervious to rational thought.

Date: May 22, 2011 01:47AM

Date: May 22, 2011 01:48AM

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 09:38AM

I have come to realize that most TBMs live in the "HERE & NOW"
They have absolutely no clue what the LDS Church has taught, compared to what it teaches now. History is not important to them.

--If the prophet said from today we will sprinke in our baptisms instead of total immersion, they would all say YES - and in less than a year no one would remember *baptism by immersion*--

I have one of those friends also. I have found that is really useless putting quarters into an empty slot machine (her mind). So all I try to do when she asks me "difficult" questions" is to show that her thinking is 10% out of wack. If I try go any further her mid snaps shut like a steel trap, and she goes into protective church mode. However the thinest edge of a wedge is still useful.

"I FOLLOW BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I BELIEVE"

JB

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 09:43AM

That was my line of thinking. I brushed off the polygamy thing in my head by thinking "well, if I'm worthy enough to get to the CK, I'll understand it and will accept it then and if I'm not worthy enough, it's a non-issue."

Everything that didn't make sense wasn't supposed to make sense--it was God's way of sifting the wheat from the tares. The more absurd things you can believe, the more he knows that you are faithful and will reward you accordingly. So for a long time when the a-ha moments started coming fast and furious, I dug my brain in and felt good when I could blow them off.

People who will argue doctrine with you, who study and still believe are the true believers--deluded, yes, but they are really TBMs. The ones who blow it off, say "it will all work out," don't want to discuss it becuase they just have faith, etc. are the ones with very fragile beliefs. They have to go into defense mode. Not because they are true believers, but because they want more than anything to be and they know they are not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.