Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 11:06AM

http://www.slate.com/id/2295099/

Interesting article at Slate that apples to Mormons.

"What Festinger failed to understand is that prophecies, per se, almost never fail. They are instead component parts of a complex and interwoven belief system which tends to be very resilient to challenge from outsiders. While the rest of us might focus on the accuracy of an isolated claim as a test of a group's legitimacy, those who are part of that group—and already accept its whole theology—may not be troubled by what seems to them like a minor mismatch. A few people might abandon the group, typically the newest or least-committed adherents, but the vast majority experience little cognitive dissonance and so make only minor adjustments to their beliefs. They carry on, often feeling more spiritually enriched as a result."

"...When a Pentecostal group led by the God-channelling housewife Mrs. Shepard emerged after more than a month from self-built fallout shelters, they were pleased that the divinely ordained nuclear holocaust had not come to pass—and grateful for having passed a test of their faith..."

"...For those not waiting for the world to end in a storm of fire and light it is easy to write off the believers as deluded, but Festinger was not so wide of the mark when he suggested that we adapt to even the most unlikely of contradictions using nothing more than our methods of everyday rationalization. The faithful could just as easily be those who stubbornly stand by disgraced politicians, failed ideologies, dishonest friends, or cheating spouses, even when reality highlights the clearest of inconsistencies. Armageddon is unlikely to arrive this weekend, but most of us have lived through it many times before."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 11:07AM by Stray Mutt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 12:15PM

The Seventh Day Adventists grew out of a similar "great disappointment" in the 1840's. The 'false prophet' in that case was a man named William Miller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment

The lesson to take from this is that people who want to believe will twist evidence, logic and everything else to avoid admitting they were wrong or deceived.

When I was a new Mormon attending BYU, I constantly engaged in mental gymnastics to justify what I was hearing and doing. After a while, I realized that you can justify ANYTHING if you are willing to abandon reason.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 02:14PM

There's always an explanation, always: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/the-beginning-of-the-end-122381453.html

May 21 was just the start of The End that will occur on October 21. I'm on pins and needles, I tell you.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 02:30PM

Is a clipping of a horoscope with this "prediction" highlited:

"One of your wishes may come true."

hahahahaha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.