Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 01:36PM

have officially resigned my membership and will be giving them NO money, EVER, as it is obvious why BYU wants the updated info on any and all alumni.

Here is the copy and paste email they sent me yesterday: Oh, and I went their one year ONLY, as a freshman.

(I expected it to say, and BTW, if you are a Dr., dentist, or atty, or making a lot of money in whatever your chosen profession, we would REALLY like to hear from you!)

Dear BYU Alumnus/Alumna:

We're looking to strengthen our employment network to help alumni and current students. Employment data also helps us track the career paths graduates have taken with the degrees they've received from BYU. Please support our efforts and take a minute to update our database athttp://byu.imodules.com/redirect.aspx?linkID=11510&eid=980268.

Respectfully,

Linda M. Palmer
Executive Director
BYU Alumni Association

Brigham Young University
224 Hinckley Center
Provo UT 84602
If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here

It is SO obvious they want to track anyone that ever went there to ask them for MONEY.

Actually, they have always contacted BYU alumni asking for cash, as when we lived in Texas my ex was on the BYU alumni phone calling committee 2 years in a row. It was like a mini calling. He HATED it!

They were told to always ask for double whatever the person gave the year before.

He was in graduate school, but we lived in a very affluent ward, and one family especially, the Maloufs, were extremely rich.

Well, he got their name in his stack of names to call and he saw they had donated 10,000 the year before and thought to himself, "NO WAY, am I gonna ask them to double that", but he did call them, and they gave another 10,000.

They must REALLY be sucking air for money because the stories I hear are constantly about their begging the members for money.

They should just get a revelation stating that from that this prophet on, since only what the current one says counts, tithing will now be 20%, or at a bare minimum 15.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 05:55PM by think4u.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 01:41PM

burn their mail if you need to = shred it

but don't make your declaration to them- you may require college transcripts to apply for admission to later dreams

second bachelors, certificates, masters, another masters,

even to apply to some employers will want transcript verification of your credentials or certificates should you move or transfer employers (employees of schools)

so no, I wouldn't make your apostate declaration to them, I would save them to use when I need them

I also call myself POSITIVE now not apostate I am not reacting or labeling as a not them- I am myself. I am a positive.

Date: May 22, 2011 01:46PM

I already went back to another university and got my RN years ago. I am 60 now and retired, so do not care what they know about me.

Being an "apostate" to me means taking the time to learn of the truths behind the lies and deceit, and then having the courage to call them out and leave.

It is honestly embarrassing to think that I ever believed in all of it, and I totally did. Where was my brain for all those years?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 05:35PM by think4u.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 01:43PM

ALL of them. I had to look up the word "alumna" though. I think that most of the US has switched to calling all former students(I thought only graduates) ALUMNUS. I could be wrong about the alumnus thing though.

Date: May 22, 2011 01:51PM

I am sure all school do this, however, I doubt they get free labor to do it, by making the local ward members do the calling.

Even my TBM ex thought it was disgusting. I mean, don't they take enough from the members in tithing and other offerings as it is?

He actually graduated from there and we never gave them a dime.

They could at least PAY people to do the calling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 01:53PM by think4u.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 02:02PM

The university and alumni centers pay hefty salaries to those who ask for money.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 02:43PM

bingoe4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ALL of them. I had to look up the word "alumna"
> though. I think that most of the US has switched
> to calling all former students(I thought only
> graduates) ALUMNUS. I could be wrong about the
> alumnus thing though.

True. My mother made her University dreams come true by going for her degree, then her Honours and then her Masters, starting at the age of 55.

Now at 83, she constantly receives calls, with them asking for money. And it's a regular Provincial University. Not a religious one.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 07:35PM

It's not just a BYU thing. I went to Boston University and receive a few letters similar to that per year.

All universities try to hit their alumni up for money and success stories (it's good for promotional material).

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:39AM

Posted by: M. ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:46AM

It doesn't seem unfair to me considering that you got 90% + of your tuition paid for by church funds while you were in school.

Date: May 24, 2011 02:13PM

Sure looks like it, do a search on your own posts, gee, there is only one from M and it is right here to me. You are so clever!!!

Here is the truth: you are afraid of me talking to your kids one day when they are adults about the church because you are afraid I just might be right.

Well, here is my question for you: if you are so very sure you are right, what have you to fear of anything I might say in front of your children, ever? You need to honestly ask yourself THAT question.

And because you deny who you are to others in the family, makes me even only more certain of your identity. You stuck your nose into my business and have lied to me more times than I can count. NO Boob Job ????? Are you kidding me? hahahha- I laughed myself all the way home on that one!!!

And BTW, thanks for making me lie to the entire family about the whole well incident, though I have NO doubt once you told DH your intentions, he insisted you indeed would pay them in full!!

Did you know that on your wedding day your very own mother told R. and me that YOU are " the MOST MANIPUATIVE person we would ever meet in our lives? That whatever it is you want, you ALWAYS get!" Sorry, but that is a true fact. Ask her should you not believe me. I hardly knew the meaning of the word, but, she was spot on! And let me tell you something, those days with me are LONG over!

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 10:42PM by think4u.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.