Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: monomore ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 03:19PM

This is a continuation of a post I made on "Women's garments are not modest" thread.

I am very curious though as to what the reasoning was cutting out the markings when throwing away the garments. What horrible thing was supposed to happen if you didn't?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 03:29PM

My nevermo guess is that the leaders did not want anyone to find them-to see them....many questions may get asked and we can't have that can we?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 03:33PM

Simply treating garmies like normal trash is unacceptable. Cutting out the markings and respectfully burning them makes the garmies into normal fabric to be cut into cleaning rags or dumped without guilt.

I'm not kidding.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 03:34PM

"To dispose of worn-out temple garments, members should cut out and destroy the marks. Members then cut up the remaining fabric so it cannot be identified as a garment. Once the marks are removed, the fabric is not considered sacred."

"The garment is sacred and should be treated with respect at all times. Garments should be kept off the floor. They should also be kept clean and mended. After garments are washed, they should not be hung in public areas to dry. Nor should they be displayed or exposed to the view of people who do not understand their significance."

http://lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng&query=garment+care#21.1.42

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 03:55PM

There's something wrong with a group that tells you want underwear your put on every day.

It's there to protect your clothes. Anything that touches your butt and privates all is not sacred.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 04:36PM

When Polygamy was being secretly practiced in Nauvoo, the Garment was only for those who were involved in the secret and illegal practice. Cutting them up and using them as rags after the marks were destroyed would help to hide the fact that the owner was living in sin. Today, Mormons still regard them as secret/sacred and try to keep them from public eyes and ridicule, despite that the reason for wearing them has changed dramatically.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 07:28PM

save underwear for rags today, so we don't think of that.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 06:03PM

I was taught that they had to be washed by themselves, not included in a batch of towels or sheets. Anybody else hear that?

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 03:39PM

I remember one day when I found mine on the floor when my wife was sorting the laundry. I freaked out! What the hell was wrong with me?! Brainwashed!

Posted by: tamm ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 04:15PM

My mom saw me accidentally drop one of her tops on the floor last time I was there cleaning my clothes. She FLIPPED and yelled at me to hurry and pick it up.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 05:57PM

It adds to the mystique and magic in the mind of the believer, helps boost their belief in the magic of the magic panties, as I think the Mighty Kymba called them on this very board.

I miss Kymba and Doug.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 06:57PM

They are not made of good fabric. I would wash mine with my whites and they would still come out gray and dingy. I use bleach with my whites and it must have reacted with the deoderant in the armpits, because that area would turn yellow. They were horrible! After just a few wears and washes, I felt dirty putting them on.

And they were pretty expensive, so you couldn't replace them every couple of months when they needed it. Gentile underwear are much cheaper and stay the color they are supposed to (white or otherwise).

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 07:04PM

On my mission in Colombia, we paid someone to do our laundry. In my poor areas, no one had a washing machine, and not even the wealthy had dryers. I remember going to pick up our laundry and walking around the corner to see 7 pairs of my xxl garments (washed by hand in a cement sink made them 4xl) hanging out to dry in plain sight of everyone. No wonder people thought we were freaks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 07:32PM by lazarus.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 07:50PM

To help my mom nearly burn down the house. Several times.

Posted by: Mom of 8 kids ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 08:38PM

When DH & I stopped wearing them, it was very liberating to just throw them in the trash!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 11:02PM

If you have to keep them top secret and treat them different than normal undies, they MUST be special.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.