Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:24AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:57AM

While we live in a nearby town, both sons & families live right in Joplin. One son lost everything but his family, & is fortunate to be alive. It is a nightmare. Besides the obvious physical damage & loss of life, it will put Joplin in an economic crisis as many businesses were totally destroyed. Phone lines were overloaded so it was hours before we found out about our boys & their families. Thank you for caring, to ask about this devastation.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 10:29AM

so we didn't see very much of this storm, my thoughts are in Joplin though and my husband MAY be sent there to help.

Redwing, please let us know if there is anything we can do in the area, or where donation points will be etc. Glad to hear your family is safe.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 12:47PM

Wait ... isn't this where the faithful were supposed to be for the rapture? So god sent devastation to where the mormons were supposed to be gathering. Hmmmm.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:00PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 01:23PM

that area on the edge that is known as Tornado alley!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 03:35PM

I was so saddened to see the devastation on the news this morning. It seems there's little we can do against the dreadful forces of nature.

The closest my family has come to anything so devastating is a relative's home that was flattened in WWII and I recall as a child they were still distressed by it all. The thing that hurt the most I recall was the loss of family photo albums and precious personal belongings, memories etc.

I'll never forget Aunt Mary's tears as she recounted the tragedy to us, even though they personally survived, their loss was great.

I can only send my best wishes and hugs to those poor folks affected by the awful conditions around the US at the moment.

Briggy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 03:46PM by brigantia.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 10:16PM

So sorry for the loss of life and property. My heart goes out to all of you.

Anagrammy

Date: May 24, 2011 07:29AM

You cannot imagine the devastation in Joplin; it looks like a war-zone. So many lives lost. The local officials were doing house-to-house searches, looking for survivors. Our sons are living together in the same house, trying to make do, as we say here. Friends & family are gathering up clothes, food, etc., to help them out. I really don't know what has been set up in Joplin for donations, etc.

We are expecting more storms today. It rained all day yesterday, raising flooding concerns & hampering search & rescue.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 07:35AM

But I am sorry for what they've lost and that y'all had to go through that ordeal. I can't imagine what it was like those hours when you didn't know if they were OK. My thoughts are with you and all the residents of Joplin.

Date: May 24, 2011 10:01AM

One son set out on foot to find his brother, as we could not raise him on his cell phone. When he got to his brother's sub-division & saw not one house standing, he panicked. Then when he got to his brother's house & saw nothing but the foundation, he thought his brother & family were dead. They had gone to seek some kind of shelter, and my boys eventually found each other. It was about 1 am before I got a call, saying they were safe.

Thank you, too, NormaRae, searching 27, & anagrammy for your kindness. Some may think this thread is OT, but for those of us living this nightmare, the kind words & caring thoughts mean a lot.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:25AM

I'm so glad your kids and their families are okay!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:08PM

No one who has never felt it can possibly understand. I never knew that death packed a punch, and that fear of death also packs a physical wallop.

It is like being punched in the stomach, you want to vomit...scream "no"...cry, all at the same time, but you are doubled over in disbelief.

(((hugs)))

All of America is with you in your sorrow and you will soon see the generosity of your neighbors as we support you in your recovery.

Anagrammy

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:15AM

that things will improve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.