Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 11:55AM

I grew up on farm with goat milk. We never made cheese, and I don't know if different breeds of cow produce milk that makes "better cheese."

I ask because the famous Thomas Marsh "milk strippings" story is one of the all-time favorite apostate lessons, and has been debunked several times as the primary reason.

The beginning of the story: "While living in Far West, Missouri, Sister Marsh and Sister Harris decided to exchange milk so they could each make a larger cheese than they otherwise could. They agreed to send each other both the milk and the cream from their cows. But Sister Marsh saved a pint of cream from each cow and sent Sister Harris the milk without the cream."

So why would someone exchange milk to make larger cheese? Why not use your own damn milk? From your own damn cow?

Please forgive me. After 2 cups of coffee I'm still not awake today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 12:30PM

I have same questions so would love to know the truth.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 01:11PM

http://www.cheesemaking.com/learn/faq/milk.html

What is Milk?

Cow's milk is 88% water, 5% lactose (milk sugar), 3.5-5% protein and 3-5% fat (which supplies flavor and texture in cheese). The rest is composed of minerals and enzymes. Goat's milk is similar to cow's milk, except that the fat globules are smaller and more easily digested. Also, it has no carotene, so it produces a whiter cheese. Sheep's milk has twice the solids as cow's milk, so the cheese yield is higher. The butterfat content of sheep's milk is 9%. The balance of all the components of milk is influenced by the breed of the animal, the stages of lactation, the geographical location, environmental conditions and the seasons. All of these factors affect the final outcome of your cheese. For more information about the content of milk, see Chapter 1 in our book, Home Cheese Making.

How are the different breeds of cows and goats a factor in cheese making?

Any milk from any breed will work nicely for making any cheese. Generally speaking, however, there are certain breeds of cows and goats that are well suited for specific types of cheeses. The choice is based on the size and amount of butterfat globules in the milk they produce. Cow's milk - Jersey and Guernsey milk has the largest fat globules. It is perfectly suited for the soft and semi-soft cheeses. Ayrshire milk has the smallest fat globules, so it is preferred for the sharp Italian cheeses and long aged Cheddars. Holstein milk is the standard, so it is used across the board. Goat's milk - Saanen milk is the standard. Nubian milk has larger fat globules, so it is often used for the soft and semi-soft cheeses. Toggenburg milk has smaller globules, so it is traditionally used in sharper, aged cheeses.

Date: June 23, 2017 03:30PM

I'm going back to church~!

Actually, I was raised on Nubian milk--it's almost sweet it's so good.

Except when the doe is in heat. yuck>......

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 07:06PM

I have goats. Have milked them, but, can't stand the taste. To me, the milk tastes like the goat smells. Yuck! But, to each their own.

On the plus side, my daughter drank goat milk when she was small and never had any health problems. The doctor always seemed surprised that she never had colds since apparently most kids do. I think the goat milk helped.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 04:04PM

The LDS Story is silly and makes no sense.

I was very young and lived on a farm in the country. I remember watching/helping my step-grandpa milk the cow. He used a horse and wagon to haul the large metal can to the road to be picked up as it was sold. Then he brought some in the house and grandma skimmed the cream off the top and put it in the wooden churn to make butter. I got to help churn the butter. Some was used to make cottage cheese which they collected and hung outside in cloth on the clothes like to set up.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 05:22PM

Date: June 23, 2017 06:11PM

That's why there's Trader Joe's...

:-) :-) :-)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:10PM

So, the Marsh story should be called--

Traitor MOs!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 07:19PM

I see two possibilities

First.

Neither cow produced enough milk to make it worthwhile to make the cheese. Rather than saving milk for a day or three to get enough, by alternating days they could make a good batch using fresh milk. You need 4 to 5 gallons to get enough curd to make it worthwhile. When one considers the amount of wood used. Time spent boiling the milk, pressing and cutting the curd etc.

The second possibility is the were making English Cream cheese. That requires a certain amount of cream skimmed off the milk.

So if one person contributed say 4 pints of cream and the other (Marsh) sent 3 pints of cream maybe mixed with milk. Then the first person's cheese would not come out well and produce less while the Marsh's cheese, her receiving the full 4 pints would be tasty and produce more cheese plus she'd have the extra cream she held back to make butter.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 07:56PM

Depending on the kind of cheese, it can be a difficult process and if someone put all that work into it, only to have something sub-par while the other person held back a quality product and ended up with a better product plus extra, I would be pissed, too.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:46AM

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 12:13AM

Monson telling the milk/cheese lie.

https://youtu.be/oZWY3r5EV3Y

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 12:26AM

I'm a farmer but was an abject failure at cow milking. But I LOVE cheese.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 02:13AM

"Cheese us"

M@t

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 07:59AM

Blessed are the cheesemakers ...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 08:15AM

I'm trying to be like cheese ass....
For these are the things that cheese ass taught.....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.