Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ennen ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:01PM

So, I've been slightly baffled by the sudden appearance of mail from "my" relief society president and the unannounced visits from "my" new home teacher (thank goodness I was never home for those, wonderful boyfriend answered the door to him twice before deciding to just let him knock and leave). I've only lived at my current address for a few months (just left my parents' house) and definitely did not give my new info to anyone at any church. It was a small mystery, until...

Today my tbm mother tells me she ran into someone at some church event, who asked her if she knew me. He then introduced himself as my home teacher. The rest of the conversation between us went something like this:

"But mom, how do they even know where I live? I haven't told anyone."

"Well I guess I told them. See, if your records were still at this ward they would assign teachers to you here."

"But couldn't they just stop sending people and keep my records so they don't get transferred all over the place?"

"I told them that too, but apparently it wasn't an option..."

"So you told them where I lived so they would stop harassing you?"

"Basically, yeah."

We both started laughing! I feel bad that my mom has had to deal with that - I really thought nobody came to visit for me anymore. But I'm really glad she found some humor in this!

And as a plus, I'm moving again very soon, so neither of us have to deal with any of my "church friends" again - nobody's giving them my next address! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:37PM

I had tscc call and ask about a grandson's address.
My reply was "I am not at liberty to divulge that information"

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:42PM

I've also had TSCC call me about a bunch of my husbands relatives.

Unfortunately I was TBM at the time and gave them what they wanted...now I know beter!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:54PM

I'd be *FURIOUS* with anyone who ratted me out to mormons. But even so, mormons don't stop tracking and harassing just because they can't find rat finks to help them.

It's especially poor form to give out information on anyone to strangers on the telephone. That's how violent stalkers and house burglers get the information they need to do their dirty deeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 05:59PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:02PM

I'd be mad too, I was glad to see ennen could laugh with her mom about it.

My mo mother used to give my info to anybody who called and said they knew me. It only took me yelling at her a few times that she stopped. But I still think she's the one who gave my info to TSCC the last time. After all, they're MORMONS! They wouldn't hurt anyone, right? Arrgghh!

Date: May 23, 2011 07:03PM

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:50PM

I resigned so I don't have this problem. But if someone I knew gave my contact information away I'd return the favor in every way I could - Jehovah's Witnesses, Amway, magazine subscriptions, the communist party, every pushy, obnoxious organization I could think of!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:06PM

Isn't anybody's address pretty much available via the Internet?

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:26PM

Public records searches online can turn up your info but it is often outdated or slightly incorrect. I have done searches on myself and I am still listed at adresses I moved away from over 10 years ago. There is still plenty of plausable deniability on your part if they turn up your info from a web search. My policy before resignation was to simply deny that I knew or had ever heard of myself since I know that my DM is very safety conscious and won't even give my info to known friends of mine without clearing things with me beforehand.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:24PM

have landlines. Once you get a landline, you are cooked.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:33PM

The only way to stop this is to formally resign and have your name removed.

Posted by: Laban's Head forgot her password ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:59PM

The conversation went something like this"

I told him I wasn't about to give that information to a perfect stranger.

"But I'm not a stranger..."

"You are to me."

---silence--

"I'll tell you what -- I'll give you my sister's address, etc., if you'll give me your sister's address, etc."

---end of conversation!!

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:00PM

Mormons are super CREEPY.

Date: May 23, 2011 07:06PM

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:00PM

The old fogies from the COB called our house every few months to ask about a foster child who had lived with my in-laws for a couple of years, but after DH was long gone from home. How the hell would we know? Her former foster mother had no idea either. We kept telling them they were wasting their time. It was so annoying. The VT's and HT's didn't show up at our house though until we had lived there at least 7 years. Go figure.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:36PM

with my Dad about 20 years ago. We laughed, too. :)

The last place I lived (I moved about 10 years ago), I kept getting church calls looking for my younger brother. My husband and my brother have the same first name. However, I kept my name when I got married. So, these old idjits kept calling me and insisting that my brother was obviously my husband as we had the same last name and my husband's first name was "X".

I could not shake these people. They called constantly for the 7 years I lived at that address. They even continued calling looking for my brother after I resigned! Then my brother resigned and the calls finally stopped.

If it weren't so creepy, it'd be funny!

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 08:27PM

There are websites whose purpose is to provide information about people. By paying a fee to subscribe to such a site, it is possible to search for people based on many different criteria. The data used by those sites comes from various public sources. So even if nobody rats you out, TSCC may be able to use the Internet to track you down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.