Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 10:16PM

I just LOVE reading the Journal of Discourses for the wacky stuff. I sure found some in volume 1 as Brigham gave a very delusional and whitewashed talk about jackass Joe:

"Joseph Smith was not killed because he was deserving of it (HELL YES HE WAS!), nor because he was a wicked man (DOES POLYGAMY COME TO MIND?); but because he was a virtuous man (ROTFLMAO). I know that to be so, as well as I know that the sun now shines . . . No law or Constitutional right did he ever violate (DON'T GET ME STARTED); he kept the law of his country (WHEN IT WAS CONVENIENT FOR HIM), and lived above it (BEING A LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND) . . .He was pure, just, and and holy, as to the keeping of the law. (TIME FOR A BARF BAG!)"

No wonder TSCC wants to distance itself from shit like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:17AM

Yeah, right. And all those T-shirts with Che Guevara make him a kind, lovable rascal...

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:55AM

Good point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 11:57AM by roflmao.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:20AM

He was a great cover-up artist. Lied at almost every corner. He even testified that there was no polygamy in the church in Joe's time. Total lie.

Ron

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:30AM

He was lying; he had to keep up the "rep" of the founder of his group to preserve his own power.

BY was all about power and authority over other people, and he was a "ends justify the means" kind of jerk.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 11:31AM by cl2.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:47AM

As much as I hate admitting it, I believe I fit right in there with them at one time. I fear that I might be that guilible again given some set of circumstances. I hope not; I attempt to educate myself and to practice a level of skepticism to protect against being so. It comes from having recognized that I once was in a position to have been the bobble-head doll nodding in agreement with whatever the brethren spewed out (for their own justification and re-inforcement of their positions of power).

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:50PM

He knew exactly what he was going. He was simply so full of himself he felt he could do or say anything.

Brought in San Francisco prostitues and set up brothals so the girls could spy on the US Army officers.

Stated that the elders could out steal, lie, drink, curse the gentiles... because they held the holy priesthood.

When the Q12 was not ready to sustain him ps&r set up a private meeting in the "Log Tabernacle" in Far West where he supposedly transmogrified into Joseph. Several of those in attendance later denied having seen or heard any of the supposed miracle.

on and on and on

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.