Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 10:28PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-05-23-camping-apocalypse-october_n.htm

Camping's description of May 21st as just a "spiritual" apocalypse, i.e., the day Christ put the earth under judgment reminded me of Joseph Smith's "spiritual" wives explanation.

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:23PM

“the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.”

Posted by: Just Thinking ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:29PM

Along this same line comes a great article in "Slate" which describes the common methodology whereby members reconcile failed prophecy. From the book "When Prophecy Fails":

"A few people might abandon the group, typically the newest or least-committed adherents, but the vast majority experience little cognitive dissonance and so make only minor adjustments to their beliefs. They carry on, often feeling more spiritually enriched as a result."

http://www.slate.com/id/2295099/

Explains why the 'sheeple' hung in there even after all the failed Joseph Smith prophecies, such as:
* Many then living would return to reclaim Missouri
* Lord would return in 56 years
* US Government would be overthrown if Missouri wrongs not made right
* Treasure would be found in Salem, Mass.
* Pestilence, Hail, Famine & Earthquake to Destroy the Wicked, and "there are those now living upon the earth whose eyes shall not be closed in death until they see all these things, which I have spoken, "

It's time now for a stirring rendition of "We Thank Thee oh God for a Prophet".
Yup!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:36AM

It came out before Camping's revised prophesy and even before May 21, and it predicted exactly what he and his followers were going to say. It's like Camping and his people read that article as a how-to guide to get themselves out of this fix.

Camping looked so sad and forlorn when he came to the door. I almost felt sorry for him, except that we all knew he had no intention of apologizing or giving the money back.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:29PM

Posted by: wwfsmd ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:33PM

Frankly, this guy really pisses me off...

He's stated that he had a really horrible weekend.

Yes, I am sorry that your God didn't come back. I can understand that may be disappointing.

Yes, I am sorry that we (i.e. 6 billion of us) made your weekend bad by not dying in really horrible rotten ways. That seems to be the thing that disappoints these people the most.

F**er.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:37AM

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:29PM

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:33PM

I just shared the link with the comment.."I'm glad I don't have to worry about this nonsense with my faith"

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:38PM

So, this new timeline gives Harold Camping a few more months in which to spend his approximately $72 million fortune.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:23AM

Camping revised his date to Oct. 21. In the comments section, someone with a moniker of Seashore wrote:

"It's a shame that stupidity can't be converted into a usable energy source."

I think that is about the best comment I've seen on this whole debacle ...

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:46PM

Make your own conclusions.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 12:59AM

I need to go into the apocalypse business. There's big money to be made !

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:45AM

I've been holding my breath to see if he raises his head and says the Missouri tornado and the volcano in Iceland are what he's been talking about...

The beginning of the end, only he was wrong about it being an earthquake...

So sorry to spoil your weekend, Mr. Camping, by staying alive.

Anagrammy

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:25AM

I'm supposing this means that all true and rightious believers are taken up to heaven while their bodies have been turned into mindless robots defending their earthly possesion from lootings by people like me?

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:30AM

My husband was irritated about the new date because (as he put it) he'd miss out on Halloween candy.

Until I pointed out that we were definitely NOT on any list to be raptured.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:28PM

If Camping is a wealthy man he certainly doesn't appear to spend his money on clothes.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:30PM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/benson/bensondex.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 02:57PM by steve benson.

Posted by: zarahemwhat ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 03:24PM

"We've always said May 21 was the day, but we didn't understand altogether the spiritual meaning," he said. "May 21 is the day that Christ came and put the world under judgment."

Just kidding!!! Those were SPIRITUAL earthquakes and fires and zombies... we're keeping the money though!

I know I shouldn't even try to make of this bullsh** but were we NOT under judgement already??! How stupid can you get!

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:00PM

This is the same as the Adventists said after the Great Disappointment in 1844, when they claimed Jesus would return on October 22. When he did not appear, they claimed he had really entered the heavenly sanctuary in preparation for the actual return.

And it is about the same as the Jehovah's Witnesses said when there prediction about the return of Jesus in 1914 was not fulfilled. They then explained that what had really happened, was that Jesus had thrown Satan down on earth - hence World War I.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:20PM

Gimme five minutes alone with Camping, and I'll teach him the meaning of the phrase, "spiritual warfare".

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 06:11PM

This woman cut the throats of her two daughters (to avoid the May 21 tribulation) five months too early.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/national/california-mother,-lyn-benedetto,-tries-to-kill-kids-before-the-tribulation,-deputies-say

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.