Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:05AM

Or has he done anything that could be characterized as prophet-like by any stretch of the imagination?

I've been out of touch with the goings on in Mormondom for quite a while now, but have become curious as to whether it's still basically going forward like a slow-motion train wreck with the engineer (prophet) napping in the cab or whether Monson is actually showing signs of any kind of spiritual leadership.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 07:09AM

I'm pretty sure the stretching of the imagination continues on and on forevermore, and that he has -formally- absolutlely no clue (empathetically) how words and sentences may be understood. Unless, of course, it turns out a success, which is generally that it doesn't stir up slightly negative reactions directed his ways. Then that emptyminded word-production tradition continues stronger.
Geniuses of the spirit?

Date: May 24, 2011 08:11AM

...continued to prudently parse his pronouncements so as to prevent any potentially problematical publicity beyond the level of a bifurcated limited hangout and all risk avoidance mechanisms continue to be fully operable.

That said, although I realize that no genuinely prophetic or revelatory utterance will ever be forthcoming, I've been wondering whether even by the low standards of the make-believe world of Mormondom Monson has done or said anything at all that would make it seem to Mormons that reading and listening to the words of their latter-day "Prophet" is somehow a more worthwhile use of their time than, say, spending an hour everyday looking at a wax figure of Paris Hilton's chihuahua.

I've looked through some Church news items recently and it seems like all that Monson has been doing for quite a while is announcing plans to build new temples. By my calculations, he announces a new temple once a week and then takes the rest of the week off. I understand that he's been running out of cities and towns to make the announcements for and is starting to announce temples for unusual locations like "Jake Funk's backyard" and "the parking space located at the northeast corner of the dumpster in the parking lot of the Taylorsville Walmart."

But I may be mistaken. If Monson has said anything that someday may be found worthy of canonization, I'd like to know about it. Mormons pay so much to be members of an organization that is led by a "living Prophet, Seer and Revelator." I hate seeing them getting such a little bang for their bucks. ;o)

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 08:35AM

Here's a website of one rabid ultra TBM in Tomato Monsoon's shadow:

http://www.followtheprophet.net/

Be sure to check out the area where he has pictures of stuff in Tomato's office, especially the Joseph Smith nutcracker! LOL

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 08:42AM

Wow he plays Monopoly. Now that is testimony to me. These Morgbots are so brain dead.

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 09:13AM

it's insane

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 06:46PM

Can someone photoshop a picture of Warren Jeffs over Tommy. They're both the same after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 06:47PM by brett.

Date: May 24, 2011 09:17AM

The heading at the top of the page announces that it is a record of "The Words and Deeds of God's Living Prophet."

You can almost hear the swelling chorus of "hallelujah" as you read that earth-shaking introduction of what is to follow. Surely the trumpet fanfare and stirring drum roll can't be far behind.

Then the curtain slowly draws back, as you realize you have stopped breathing in the excitement of the moment as God's Living Prophet comes into the spotlight and opens his mouth to speak:

[Cue voice of Pee Wee Herman]

"Hey, I'm the Prophet guy, but I joke around with the little people like I'm some kind of regular guy. I know every property on the Monopoly board game. Maybe I'll take me a walk on Boardwalk, nyuk, nyuk..."

"Hey, I'm a better man for having visited New Zealand."

"Hey, look I'm in Cebu and I'm giving these Cebu people their own house of holy handshakes. They just love it."

"Hey, don't forget to love god and read your scriptures. Take it from me. I'm the Prophet guy!"

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 09:22AM

Well, he did get some ghost-writers together who compiled his stories and then made it look like he had written a book called (dun,dun,dunn) To The Rescue!

Date: May 24, 2011 10:19PM

Further hilarity and irony from the ostensibly faith-promoting "Follow the Prophet" website.

Being curious, I decided to look at the next page of the website to see if I could find anything that would count as being prophet-like among the words and deeds being reported as "The Words and Deeds of God's Living Prophet."

The first item reported on the second page is titled "The Huntsman Jet President Monson Flies In."

http://www.followtheprophet.net/page/2/

You know, there are times that I would really like to follow the prophet, but I don't have a private jet and my bicycle just can't keep up! ;o)

Date: May 24, 2011 10:27PM

In the continuing saga of "The Words and Deeds of God's Living Profit," we find our Profit speaking at the dedication of a new bank: “You can rest assured that this church doesn’t put its investments and its confidence in anything that isn’t stable, honorable and (having) a record of performance and integrity.”

http://www.followtheprophet.net/2010/05/15/president-monson-dedicates-zions-bank-financial-center/

As I read that, I had this strange buzzing in my ears that almost sounded like someone was speaking--maybe a still small voice or at least a buzzing small voice--saying "Kirtland Safety Society Anti-Banking Company" over and over and over. What's that about?? ;o)

Posted by: Unchained ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:05PM

Monson is getting a bit senile so I wouldn't expect much from him. At conference he is just reading prepared talks so it is difficult to gauge, but when he is talking off the cuff you can tell that there isn't much going on upstairs. I saw him in the MTC in 2005 and he was rambling but he still had some bite. I saw him again at a temple dedication last year and he is really deteriorating mentally. He kept repeating himself and loosing track of where he was in his semi-improvised talk. Don't expect anything prophetic from him. Age has certain irreversible effects.

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:28PM

Maybe he'll say something about genital piercing.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 01:03AM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 01:33AM

We all like to imagine the meeting of the top guys where they came up with that one.

I also think he's dying his hair a less harsh shade.

Date: May 25, 2011 02:10AM

a "Living Prophet," you'd kind a think that the it would amount to something more than a guy who cuts ribbons at building dedications, rides around in a rich guy's private jet, advocates scripture reading and gives his opinions on the advisability of wearing panty hose. But I guess not. ;o)

Posted by: Grubby Gert ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 02:11AM

he works for a church

he lives in salt lake city, utah

his voice cures insomnia

he is... the least interesting man in the world

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:38AM

LOL...he is... the least interesting man in the world

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 03:44PM

because it's sourced from a beer commercial and I hear the voice clearly. Thanks!

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 04:27AM

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 04:44AM

Monopoly represents the robber barons, and greed of the late 1800’s, before the trust busting of Theodore Roosevelt.

TSCC wants a monopoly on you, your devotion, time, talents, everything you have, a tenth or more of your gross income, and one day ALL of it. They are greedy, unscrupulous, and in the end always look after their own interests. Members are exploited, and when in need, left on their own, and expected to get help from an imaginary sky daddy. The few at the top, and their family, and friends, are the ones who benefit, and are secure.

A quote from from Derk Solko, cofounder of BoardGameGeek.com, in Wired Magazine:

"Monopoly has you grinding your opponents into dust. It's a very negative experience. It's all about cackling when your opponent lands on your space and you get to take all their money."

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/magazine/17-04/mf_settlers?currentPage=all
“Monopoly Killer: Perfect German Board Game Redefines Genre”

Sounds familiar to me.

from Wikipedia:

"In popular American culture, robber barons were usually depicted as men in suits with black top hats and walking sticks as typified by Rich Uncle Pennybags, the icon for the board game Monopoly.[10]"

TSCC has Rich Uncle Pennybags as their profit, and he has a quorum of brethren - that would be 13 Rich Uncle Pennybags - minimum!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 04:49AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:14AM

Did I miss this revelation. When was it given? Who gave it?

I am glad thatwith the mess in the world we have a prophet to guide us in how we dress.Panty hose. An intimate part of a women's clothing and we need a prohet to tell us something about it!!!!

I am shocked, really shocked.

Would I ever like to ask Romney about his take on this revelation?

We thank thee of God for a Prophet
To guide us and dress us in these latterdays.
We feel it a pleasure to serve you
In our very intimate underwear ways.
We thank thee for sending they counsel
To keep our skin nice and cool.
We thank for for sending us directions,,
And we wonder who is really the fool!!!!

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:43AM

SEcular Priest..you posted:

Would I ever like to ask Romney about his take on this revelation?

check out Romney on Revelation- doesn't get any clearer that this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiQdIwUrejc

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:27AM

Other than his ability to put you asleep at GC, what has he done ever?

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 01:42PM

Read more poetry!

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 02:54PM

Who's he?

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 02:56PM

The prophet of God...not sure why God isn't telling him about everything that is going on and how to prepare us!

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 04:03PM

Tommie boy must have the biggest collection of widow stories on Earth. Why would he need to do anything on top of that?

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 05:36PM

I think he's too busy out "servicing" widows to do much of anything. His diabetes that was brought about by a steady stream of pepsi and count chocula cereal keep him pretty sedate.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 06:20PM

Wow. I just went to followtheprophet.net, AKA: "The Words and Deeds of God's Living Prophet". Kind of a "Where's Waldo" on Mormon Koolaid Steroids. Even that doesn't come anywhere close to describing this......this.......thing.
I'm forwarding it along to a couple of Non-Mo friends so they can see the pathetilarious (pathetic and hilarious) CULTISHNESS. This one website is a template for the deep-end fantaticsm of GA worship. And OMG!!! WHY do Mormons not see what CREEPERS these old geezers are! I mean come on!! Count Chocula, with (one of my favorite Monson descriptions ever), Polygamist Teeth!! Gah!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 06:32PM

the pic (now Deleted, of course) showing GBH & a couple of others... with MARK HOFMANN! looking at something...Could it Be....

Some of THE FORGERIES THAT MH SOLD TSCC?

ah yes, Life on the half-shell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.