Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 06:42AM

Just saying folks.

:-)

Briggy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 08:10AM

And they ship around US vehicles with them, all of which have left-hand drive, which could be dicey, since in the UK and Ireland drive on the "correct" side. I know from once having a LHD car in Japan that that's awfully annoying to do. Can't imagine doing it with some behemoth armoured limousine.

Date: May 24, 2011 08:51AM

That was in the days when the USAF base was still operating nearby.

I've seen a couple of stretch limos stuck on hump-back bridges, carrying eager partygoers. A very expensive see-saw and about as much fun as they would have for a while.

Sharp narrow bends are good fun to watch when these vehicles are about.

Another entertaining pastime I enjoy is watching lorry-drivers from Eastern Europe, following their sat-navs, suddenly meeting one of our low bridges. There is a cute little bridge on my little road, which is often used as a short-cut for traffic between two main highways.

Briggy

Posted by: brian-the-christ ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 09:16AM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 09:33AM

I met a lovely Irish woman back in '07. Her mother came out for a visit that summer and I asked her, "What's the one thing you don't understand about Americans?" And she responded, "I donna understand why ye have to drive such big automobiles!"

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 09:37AM

Date: May 24, 2011 10:00AM

I'm sure that we would drive them if we could, though our roads don't make the prospect very attractive.

I love zipping round the lanes in my little Renault. She's called Clio and delivers very nicely at a modest price. I'm constantly on the alert for cyclists but Clio can stop on a pin.

Briggy

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:01AM

I'll take the large "royal barge" vehicles any day if only I could afford the gas.

And did I mention my fear of hitting animals ? Would probably kill me in the little shitbox car.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 12:14PM

One time I was driving on I-80 westbound in Salt Lake City. I was approaching the overpass that takes the freeway over 9th East street, and I was going 60 mph.

A deer suddenly popped up from the median and tried to cross the westbound lanes. I was in the center lane when I saw the deer. I made a split-second instinctive decision to veer right, but unfortunately the deer also moved right. I hit the deer in the right-hand lane without ever touching the brakes.

If I had held a straight line in the center lane I would have passed behind the deer and not hit her. My split second instinct to move to the right was the wrong thing to do.

The deer was doing its bouncy gait at the time I hit it. At the moment of impact the deer was at the high point of a bounce so its body hit the windshield of the car. That car happened to be a 1994 Subaru Impreza, which fortunately had the windshield sloping back a lot. So the deer hit the windshield, then shot 20 feet straight up (according to the driver of the car that was following me), and then was stone dead when it hit the ground.

The safely glass windshield disintegrated inward into the passenger compartment and the glass fragments hit me and my wife full in the face. Fortunately we were both wearing eyeglasses so our eyes were saved from any damage. The plastic bag between the two layers of glass ended up hanging limply down.

If that accident had been in a vehicle that had a more upright windshield, it is highly likely that the deer's body would have come straight back into the passenger compartment and killed both of us. We were lucky to survive with zero damage to ourselves.

The car sustained about $3000 in damage, which my comprehensive insurance paid for. I had zero-deductible comprehensive so it cost me nothing. Believe me when I say that I am spooky about driving in areas where I know deer could be present.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.