Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 01:12PM

It's even less impressive and wrong than when I first learned about it!

Just sayin...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 01:22PM

Not only is it wrong, but JS made this "prophecy" at a time when many newspapers were predicting that a civil war was imminent, beginning in South Carolina. SC had just defied the federal government and declared that the states did not have to honor federal legislation. President Jackson was ready to mobilize troops to put down the rebellion. The nation was already on the brink of war.

This was all reported in newspapers, including one published near JS' home, in November 1832. His "revelation" is dated December 1832.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 01:48PM

Section 87 was far less prophetic than believers now days think because they don't understand the events surrounding it.

Nullification Crisis - 1832
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullification_Crisis

"Twelve miles from the Mormon stronghold of Kirtland, Eber D. Howe’s Painesville Telegraph predicted “civil war” was near and perhaps “our national existence is at an end.” Four days later Joseph Smith 'prophesied.'"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 01:55PM by badseed.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 01:36PM

Indeed, and it's the "biggie" that apologists like to hang their rock-in-a-hat on, prophecy-wise. Joe Smith had some good guesses, like the Jackson County prophecy about "only the chimneys will remain standing"; well, Joseph had probably seen a house or two burn down in his time, and the stone or brick chimney would be a stark remnant. It sounds poetic, but that's what happens in a fire.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:01PM

The chapter reads as if it is the prediction of the apocalypse. I might be crazy, but I could have sworn the section used to say something about "my second coming." I will have to pull out my old copy of the LDS canon.

Only a truly ethnocentric person would imagine that a problem in a small country thousands of miles from most civilization would lead to the end of the world. And I have never heard a Mormon try to show how the civil war linked to any other conflict.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 02:03PM

This prophecy was not even in the D&C until AFTER the civil war, IIRC, it was in the 1870s. So, take that for what it is...

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 04:47PM

Thanks for the info. Family has brought this up in discussions over my dilike of JS-He predicted the civil war and where it would start so he must be a prophet. If the discussion ever comes up again I will now be more prepared.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 04:56PM

LochNessie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info. Family has brought this up in
> discussions over my dilike of JS-He predicted the
> civil war and where it would start so he must be a
> prophet. If the discussion ever comes up again I
> will now be more prepared.

You can also counter with the equivalent "proof" that the Seventh-Day Adventists use to validate their prophet, Ellen G. White: she predicted the 1906 earthquake that destroyed San Francisco!!

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:23PM

Anyone who uses this as "proof" of the ability of prophecy, ask them why Old Hickory continued with nullification and the policies to avoid war and why JS didn't prophecy THAT first. You'll get a deer in the headlights look because they absolutely do not understand the politics of the time at all. AJ's my second favorite President ever and I've read extensively on him and his policies. He wasn't a fool - unlike JS.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:28PM

One thing I would point out to my fam is that some ga's said the south would win the civil war. Of course then they just said that they were speaking for themselves as men, not for the lord. You can't argue with brainwashed.

Did not know that about the San Francisco earthquake. That is cool!

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 06:56PM

and that would allow the Church/Deseret/Utah to break free of the Union. Didn't quite turn out that way.

Funny how all of Joseph's screw ups like Zion's camp etc are canonized and scripture while BY's were never adopted in the same way. BY didn't shoot his mount off in prophet mode nearly as often but he did say the saints could take any of his words as scripture though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 06:56PM by badseed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.