Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 04:57PM

This guy is awesome!

Representative Steve Simon (DFL Hopkins/St. Louis Park) says a proposed Minnesota constitutional amendment is largely about religion. He says if sexual orientation is innate as science is showing us, and not a lifestyle choice, then God created gay people. He asks how many gay people must God create before we accept that he wants them around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpOA3jPC04&feature=player_embedded

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:11PM

Leviticus 18:22 & Leviticus 20:13

Was the x-ian god speaking as a man when he said these things?

Just curious. It's hard to pin down just exactly what x-ians believe these days.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:25PM

I'm not a christian, but I believe christian only heed the old testament insofar as it is confirmed by Christ in the new testament. By the same token, they don't believe in 'an eye for an eye' but in 'turning the other cheek'. Right?

Date: May 24, 2011 05:28PM

I've read the new testament, and the jesus figure never contradicted the bronze-age superstitions surrounding homosexuality.

Money changing was a problem for him, but murdering homosexuals didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Edit: and the new testament god sure didn't turn the other cheek when Ananias and his wife held back some of the money they got from selling their land. He struck them dead on the spot. Guess he needed the money...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 05:30PM by kolobian.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:34PM

Well then where exactly in the new testament does Jesus repeat the homophobia from Leviticus? I only found it in Paul, a career guru who never even knew Jesus. Well?

Date: May 24, 2011 05:38PM

or by the voice of paul, x-ians don't make a distinction. The earliest new testament manuscript dates to 125ad, so no one who wrote down those superstitious fairy tales could have "known jesus."

The point I'm making is that x-ians see all of the bible as the word of god, and the ones that don't (like kolobians) are guilty of special pleading.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 07:27PM

If Jesus where to confirm the scriptures AS A WHOLE, that would have included the scriptures and homophobic rhetoric of Leviticus:

http://www.greatcom.org/resources/reasons_skeptics/ch_06/default.htm

"Jesus believed that the Old Testament was divinely inspired, the veritable Word of God. He said, "The Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35). He referred to Scripture as "the commandment of God" (Matthew 15:3) and as the "Word of God" (Matthew 15:6). He also indicated that it was indestructible: "Until Heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law, until all is accomplished" (Matthew 5:18). Notice that he mentions even the words and letters!"

What I was taught is that Christians are to obey the OT as the word of God EXCEPT for where Jesus laid down now laws. Since it seems that Jesus did "confirm" the "scriptures" (OT), then I see no reason to doubt such a statement.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 08:17PM

Excuse me, even if a god, any god, actually said this I must inform that I have never lain with a man as with a woman. That would be confusion. Read the friggin context at least!

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:08AM

Note the Leviticus prohibition only refers to guys, so lesbians are home free, right?

Quit eating that shellfish and be nice to your slaves!

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 05:04PM

Acts of lesbian intimacy do not qualify for condemnation as there is no penis involved.

Modern Israel has made up for this deficiency by transmogrifying the Law of the Gospel from "Love the Lord..." to what they teach in the temple. Masturbation as well as oral and anal sex along with lesbian acts fall under the cloak of "every other unholy an impute practice." And don't forget god don't like no loud laughter or evil speaking of the BIG 15.

Posted by: fmrly ExmoinCO ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 07:54PM

Adding another layer to the story...

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/05/watch-conservative-lawmaker-iraq-veteran-stands-up-for-marriage-equality/

In regards to the Maddow clip, I just hope TSCC & NOM go broke fighting gay marriage.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 08:37PM

Just one.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 03:52AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:26AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.