Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:02PM

Just joking.

In actual truth everyone in a free society has every right to believe anything, be it sage, be it true, or be it the dumbest most stupid idea known throughout the history of human kind, in other words. football. I hate that stupid game. I've gone along with it though because I know that logical arguments and my more lucid reasonable point of view won't sway foolish deluded football fans.

We can mock and bash dumb ideas, but that doesn't stop anyone from believing what they want to believe.

I hate liver and for good reason. Others love it.

I hate short winter coats. Others love them.

I hate sushi. Others can't live without it.

I'm an atheist. Others love Jesus or Budah or some other god person like Joe Smith, the plyg master.

I like attractive underwear. Mormons love their garmies.

The fact is that I like the good, decent, wonderful things of value. Others don't. They're wrong but what can I do? Diddley, at best.

I deeply and seriously do not care that others are wrong. Why? Because they have a right to believe any darned thing they want to believe.

I only care if they insist on infecting my personal space, my home, my children, my front porch with their religious junk, their liver or sushi, their short coats which don't keep anyone warm below the waist. or worst of all, their violent and boring sports, especially football.

Would you say that some of those things are good? I'm not surprised. Do I have to like them? No.

Do I respect everyone's right to believe in those things I know are wrong? ABSOLUTELY!

I do honor everyone's right to believe whatever they choose, including what every I don't like unless it's hurtfult to little children and destroys the society for all of us or particularly, if it's jammed down my throat.

But what about magical thinking? Don't I have to stamp that out? In reality, humans will be human. The most magical thinking of all is the idea that someone can stamp out magical thinking. It will never happen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:06PM

Posted by: staind ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:19PM

Cheryl wrote: "The fact is that I like the good, decent, wonderful things of value. Others don't. They're wrong but what can I do? Diddley, at best.

I deeply and seriously do not care that others are wrong. Why? Because they have a right to believe any darned thing they want to believe."

Priceless. That's all. Just priceless. Mo-think much?

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:26PM

I enjoyed your thoughts.

However, I think majical thinking is losing it's hold on many of us, more of us than ever before.

I don't think metaphysical nonsense will ever go entirely extinct either, but the more we can teach people to depend on logic and reason, the better.

Posted by: fifteensixty ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 11:25PM

Your liberal attitude is most progressive but when magical thinking becomes a hegemonic legal system and people are stoned even today we have got to get off our liberal high ground and say I respect your right to be but to sit back and allow abuse is wrong in every reality.

Date: May 25, 2011 10:26AM

Child sexual abuse is more common in cultish religions and on religious compounds than it is in the general population. Let's start looking into it in the morg, in JWs communities, Amish compounds and particularly in the 100s of mormon polygamous groups in Utah, Idaho, Arizona, and other states.

Incest is a severe problem in religious compounds. The Kingston plyg clan may be the worst, but it's also a problem with the Allreds and other groups who appear less extreme.

Mormons have a serious problem with abuse of children who are interviewed by the bishop one on one at age eight, then several times a year starting at age twelve. These sessions can be sexually abusive.

Let's also go after the Sientologists, a horrible cult!

Another serious problem is the parental abuse of Christian Scientist children who don't get needed medical care. In fact medical care is poor to zero in many cults, including many plyg cults.

I would also like to see normal educational expectations enforced for the many cults which claim to homeschool and who don't teach rudementary academics or socialization skills.

We could also look into taking away tax exept status for churches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 10:27AM by Cheryl.

Date: May 25, 2011 03:29AM

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 03:49AM

I also believe it is perpetuated by certain cultures, and discouraged by others. People will believe what they want, but overall I think it will diminish.

I totally agree about the short winter coats! They defeat their purpose. A short winter coat is HALF a coat, in the freezing cold. I walk almost everywhere, and never wear a short coat when the weather is below 40 degrees. They only work if you go from your house to your car via your garage, and then straight to a parking garage to an elevator to the interior of a building i.e. if you do not set foot outside in the cold.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 03:50AM by atheist&happy:-).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.