Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 03:41PM

It's crazy weather day here in Missouri. I found out that we're under a tornado warning from weather.com. That was almost 30 minutes ago and I have yet to hear my town's tornado sirens. With the way this spring has been and especially with the destruction of Joplin, you'd think it might be a priority to let your citizens know that they need to take cover.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:14PM

Hmmm well it will be well.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:25PM

I don't have the firmest grasp of the difference, but a watch would be an advance prediction of conditions that could form tornadoes (or other weather conditions) but does not mean that such and event is eminent. A watch would be issued when a tornado is imminent or occurring.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:35PM

A watch is issued when conditions are ripe for tornados. They hope that civilians will keep an eye out and call in warnings if they see funnel clouds. At which point sirens generally go off and radio warnings go out to get under cover. And when the first funnel is sighted that's when you get tornado warnings.

At least that was the case when I visited in South Dakota.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 10:36PM by Rebeckah.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:16AM

It was a warning. I double-checked when I saw it and hadn't heard the sirens. Lots of people spent an hour or so in basements, stairwells, and other interior rooms. A former co-worker took a pic from her office window and the storm clouds definitely had tails. Ultimately, nothing happened except some hail and strong winds. This has sure been a wild spring.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 02:30AM

You can say that again. :)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:28AM

We had tornado sirens blarring for several hours this evening in Memphis. Lost power for an hour or so, but amazingly very little damage. I usually don't pay much attention but after what happened in Joplin I have a little more respect for those warning systems.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:33AM

Yes, left MS and was thankful to get away from all of that "crazy" weather and not in Austin but they've been in TX(Dallas,FW, areas) overnight. UGH.......I am glad to hear you are ok almostfell. Crazy all of these natural disasters which are occuring. Just crazy.....

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 09:47AM

morning and evening both.

The sirens hurt our dog ears and Buster and Baby get scared so I hates em. The StalkerDog™ of course ain't scared a nuthin!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.