Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Prideful but how cares ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 04:43PM

My son informed me that they had a special session at his ward dealing with pride. I guess some pride is now ok. It is OK to be proud of your son if he is good is soccer but not be proud that he beat another team.

I thought there was "No Righteous Pride" for the MORmONS.

I hated having to analysis myself every time I felt good about myself to make sure I was felling good for the "right" reasons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 04:47PM

Posted by: Anon here now ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:07PM

I know...a counteracter to shame, but neither shame nor pride is warranted by what simply IS. A lot of contradictory things seem to squeeze under the umbrella of "pride."

Date: May 25, 2011 09:10PM

But give me no reason to accept that as a valid premise, why can't I be proud of "what simply IS"?

But the reality is, gay pride is about unlearning the shame that many of us were taught.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 09:12PM by MJ.

Posted by: Anon here now ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:29PM

Broadens the idea to the point it's meaningless. Proud that I was born? Proud that I have a foot? I question even the "proud that I'm an American" premise because that is also a strange use of the term. Maybe "satisfaction" or "feeling of inclusiveness" would fit better. Pride in one's country or one's race often carries the danger of feeling superior simply because of birth circumstances. Most people can't even claim a pre-existence or karmic rationale for this. If every individual or group is entitled to feel pride, and not at the expense of another, then EQUALITY is the goal.

Date: May 25, 2011 09:45PM

> If
> every individual or group is entitled to feel
> pride, and not at the expense of another, then
> EQUALITY is the goal.

Yes, EVERYONE CAN FEEL EQUALLY PROUD OF WHO THEY ARE, what is so wrong with that? I hope to see the day when everyone can be proud of themselves as they were born, as they grew, as they are, YOU?

Equality is a Goal, so is pride (get it, they are two different things and two different goals). I can and do have pride in who I am as a gay man even though I do not have equality because I am a gay man. I am grateful for the fact that I can have pride in myself even though society tells me that I am not deserving of equal rights.

Pride isn't a if some people have it others must not sort of thing, every one on earth can be proud of who they are. ALL of who they are, including their sexuality.

I honestly don't see why this is such a difficult concept for you to grasp. I CAN BE PROUD OF ANYTHING, that includes being born, my foot, being gay....

But clearly, you are not proud that YOU were born.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 10:00PM by MJ.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 04:49PM

When the LDS Church talks about pride, its a different pride than what we think of. It has nothing to do with being proud about your kids getting good grades or making your yard look nice. It has to do with blindly obeying the Morg. If you dare to think for yourself and don't "humbly" submit 100% to the Morg then you are being evil and full of "pride."

The LDS church loves to accuse those of us who left the church as being full of "pride."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 08:55PM

"The LDS church loves to accuse those of us who left the church as being full of 'pride.'"

When really, the complete opposite is true. Church leaders know perfectly well that they are receiving no revelations and no inspiration from God would only humble themselves, but their pride keeps them in place. An apostle, if he were a good man, would say at some point, "You know, this just isn't right," and then step down.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 05:29PM

In either the April or October priesthood session of general conference in 2010 there was a talk about this, about how being proud of something isn't the same as being prideful. It happened about 2 weeks after we spent probably 30 minutes in sunday school with a bunch of TBMs telling people why it's wrong to be proud of your kids, proud of your accomplishments, etc because of some comment some general authority made a while ago.

So yes, it's ok now.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 08:51PM

That was Ezra Taft Benson.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 05:44PM

For example, being proud of having gone on a mission, marrying in the temple, having a current temple recommend, birthing lots of baby Morgbots, or holding a high-status calling.

“Bad” pride: Being pleased with oneself for any other reason, such as setting personal boundaries, refusing to ignore evidence contrary to claims, and standing in integrity rather than conformity.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 05:48PM

Don't know, but as far as I recall this inconsistency existed back when I was a member too. We were supposed to not feel pride as it was the worst kind of evil, but at the same time we were indoctrinated to feel superior towards all nonmormons. Afterall we were the "chosen generation" and bla bla bla. It didn't add up then either.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 06:25PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:59PM

in Mormonism is having the almighty gall to do something other than what you are told to do. It's especially prideful if you are proud of yourself for going against the herd, thinking for yourself, questioning or in any way standing up for yourself. It's OK to be proud of yourself for knuckling under and doing what you are told OR to be proud of yourself for anything that reflects well on the church - puts it in a good light.

Those are the rules.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.