Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 05:41PM

http://www.ldsliving.com/story/64680-jacob-isabella-most-popular-names-of-2010-but-not-for-mormons

So, are a lot of TBMs really giving their kids BOM names in the Morridor, or has that become too much of a liability in this day and age? I did know one family that gave their boys names like Ammon and Nephi. I don't remember any TBMs having the balls to go really hardcore with Abinadi or Mahonri Moriancomer (or however you spell it). Do remember though, that my ex had a cousins with BOM names, including a girl named "Liahona".
Another thing I find particularly nauseating is the TBM fawning over GA's, to the point of naming their kids Benson (nobody I know) or Kimball (know of several families who've used that one). Packer, anyone?? ;P
Yep, lots of Mo names to choose from, for the guys, that is. For the women, not so much:
"With so few women named, scriptural sources leave few options for girl's names"........"because of the lack of scriptural women, Church history may be another source parents are using to name their daughters". Church history, eh? Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing lots of sweet little cherubs named "Fanny" anytime soon *wink*
Anywho.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 05:42PM

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 06:04PM

There have always been lots of Emmas but the most used name for mormon women is one I have never seen on a birth certificate..."Hey You!"

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 06:19PM

For Mo boys, I've always been impressed by "LaDew", or LaVon", and such like (hee hee).

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 06:24PM

Mormon hillbillies trying to sound like they are French cultured.

Posted by: Gullible's Travel's ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 07:19PM

If our last baby had been a boy instead of a girl his name would have been Wolf Mahonri.
Our only son is named Enoch and his initial spell ENOS.

On a side note: I had a huge facepalm moment the first time I had to fill out a form that asked for his middle initials....N.O.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 07:23PM

wifey & I named our First (son) after pres Lee; 'Lee'.

now he's TBM, and I'm NOT!

go figure!!

Posted by: Poopstone ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 07:59PM

My Husband wanted to name our first son "Redd" After Bruce R. McConkie. I vetoed that one. Our son's middle name is Anthon after Anthon H. Lund, a member of the seventies. I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about how Mo we were.

Posted by: Anon for this please too much irl ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 08:18PM

How about Mormon names???

Men:
Alma, LaVern, Verle, Lemoine, Helaman, Nephi, Moroni, Mordechi,

Women: Relva, Viva, Shirleen, Shelaman,

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 08:39PM

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 07:55AM

Shelaman???
Seriously? Makes me think of She-Ra and He-Man...
Lord help us all...

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 08:34PM

I don't care how "cute" the name sounds. I still would not have saddled a kid with it.

Btw, I saw a picture of her eating a bowl of strawberries covered with whipped cream. She is cute. :-)

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 11:59PM

I had a niece that named her girl Heavenly. Her married last name was Flowers. I said what not just name the little girl Vasa.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:05PM

They named her that to go with her last name, which I won't repeat but you should be able to figure out. Poor girl. I also know a guy named Nephi. I guess that means he's stuck in the church and can't get out. And my daughter tells me about some poor guy named Helaman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 09:07PM by cludgie.

Date: May 25, 2011 09:14PM

...and the first thing you get is a guy who obviously left the Mormon church.

Date: May 25, 2011 09:19PM

It's like doing genealogy or something.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 11:27PM

If my search popped up the same guy as yours did, then I too have a mutual friend with him. Shit!

Posted by: Seriously? ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 11:34PM

The first one that pops up for me is Nephi Lawson and from the looks of it that dude is chugging along in the mormon religion just fine. And strangely enough we have a mutual friend.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 11:36PM

Nephi Gold was my dude. Clearly not a Kolobian if he is mutual friends with my buddy.

Posted by: Seriously? ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 11:40PM

Yeah, that cat is not an active mormon. Man with a name like that your parents really put a low ceiling on your future.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:03AM

Remember that poor girl who posted here who had been saddled with the name Liahona?

I would just change the flippin' name to Anohail* and thank my parents.

Anagrammy

*Liahona spelled backwards. JUST CHANGE YOUR NAME. Half my kids did because they didn't want their Moron father's name.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:40AM

I was in a ward where two different families named their little girls "Charlie." What is up with that? Can anyone tell me the significance of that? Then one of those families named their little boy "Brigham." Seriously?

Posted by: girlincognito ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 02:02AM

Charlie is short for Charlotte.

And my name,complete with La prefix, is on the Utah babyname website. Sigh.

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 03:05AM

Wasn't there a popular mormon movie called "Charlie" too? I think the wife died, it was a sad movie. Based on a book. But it seemed to be pretty popular with mormon friends.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:28AM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 02:27AM

Billyboy, Billygirl, Ladown, Lapeon, Lazee, LaLa, Periwinkle, Lajazz, Lapoint, Lahinck, Lanephi, Lamormon, Ladrone.

Posted by: ticachapin ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 03:23AM

For those talking about "Charlie" as a girls there's also the Disney Channel sitcom "Good Luck Charlie" in which the baby girl's name is Charlie.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 07:17AM

I can't think of it now, but it's one of those La- names. It came to him when he was walking through Temple Square.

Speaking of La- names, there was a kid on my floor in the dorms when I was at BYU named "LeGrande." I think it was with the "e" at the end. Whatever contest his parents were trying for - they won.

Posted by: newblacksheep ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 08:08AM

I served a mission in Brazil and a popular name for boys among the members there was Moroni. There was even one well known member named Moroni that was a local politician and then he went on to be a state senator and got some national recognition. His name didn't seem to impede him. Oh, I think he was a counselor to the mission president at some point too...

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 11:54AM

I have nephews named Jarom Maroni, Jacob Nephi, and Joshua Malachi (sp?). My daughter is friends with a Brigham, and an Ammon, and I have a distant cousin named LaGrande. I also know a girl named Sariah. Blech!

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 11:56AM

And what is really funny, is that to a xtian, the name Ammon must seem very unusual. The Ammonites of the bible were not good guys. I'm sure to them it is equivalent to naming your daughter Jezabell or something!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:02PM

Alma is a girl's name. The hint is the -a ending. :-/ Poor guy.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:19PM

I was very glad they're not considering any "mormon" names.

(shuddering at the possibility of "La Kenneth")

Years ago, I heard of a family in Virginia who had 5 girls, all named after flowers:

Flora
Violet
Rose
Lily
Snap-Dragon

True story.

;

Posted by: exmomedic ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:30PM

Is benaiah a Mormon name? Or just a religious name?

I'm trying to enlist and my recruiter keeps coming off as thinking women are very second class and don't deserve to serve. He just emits the Mormon vibe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.