Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 08:29PM

so we can be tested? If Satan was really trying to thwart "the Plan", he should be giving us all the correct answers and helping us pass so there won't be a true test after all.

Just thinking how silly the whole story is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:36PM

perhaps his greatest tool is to remove belief in The Plan. Not so silly when we deny God/Christ.

+1 for Satan.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:09PM

. . . So, what's the point?

He should just go out with a bang, blow his 401K and party.

Looking at it realistically, Loser Lucifer really doesn't appear all that bright.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 10:19PM by steve benson.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:17PM

What if Satan does nothing?

Why would he participate in a plan he did not want or invent?

If he is intelligent then why would he play the part of the putz?

If Satan does nothing then who plays the part of the putz?

Bit of a quandary ain't it?

Posted by: The Motrxi ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:20PM

I'm glad it's all bullshit -- I can't wrap my mind around all the twists and turns of this theology (or any for that matter).

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:30PM

across the street from the Temple of God and try to get more liquor licenses for it.

But he definitely would not spend it on building free hospitals or missions for the poor. No no he definitely would build a mall :)

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:33PM

I have heard it taught many times that if satan were to repent, then God would forgive him and restore his blessings. The only thing is, satan is so evil he could not and would not repent. I think the first time I heard of this is when I read Jesus the Christ by Talmadge.
Perhaps he is just bidding his time and then will repent and laugh at all those he has lead astray.
What an idiot I was for falling for all this L,D.S. bullshit.
Another thing that I've thought about is; If God is present everywhere in the universe where could outer darkness be because God is already there ? If God is already there it stands to reason that there would be no place for satan because God and satan cannot share space or whatever the church wants to call space.
One other thing that I have heard taught in P/H meeting is that satan is doing the will of the father and will someday take his rightful place in the celestial kingdom because he has obeyed the father and acted as our adversary so we could be tested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 10:39PM by orphan.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 10:58PM

Satan was present at the meetings where the plan was presented.
Satan knew the FALL was necessary for the plan to happen.
Satan could have thwarted the entire plan by not tempting Eve.
Satan knew that opposition and temptation were necessary to prove righteousness.
Satan could have thwarted the plan by not tempting anybody.
All of the alleged evil Satan does is a necessary condition of the plan of salvation, AND HE KNOWS IT.
In the Temple when Satan is asked what he is doing, he replies (paraphrase) "that which was done on other worlds." He has no veil of ignorance. Satan plays his necessary role in the plan, although he could easily ruin the whole thing. His lack of motivation for being god's willing servant is a gaping whole in LDS doctrine.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 11:11PM

Hello, people,

Nothing is needed to prove righteousness because God already knows who is righteous, righty-right-right?

So who is it being proved to? Someone not all-knowing. Who would that be? SATAN! Who proved he was not all-knowing by setting off on the fool's errand of being the putz.

But if God is proving things to Satan, then they must be equal or Satan at least must be somebody with an opinion God cares about... Can God read Satan's mind AND see the future? OF COURSE HE CAN!

So he already knows what Satan would do and how it will end, so he could just not do any of it. So he has to be in it for the experience. What experience could that be since God is all-perfect already? IT HAS TO BE IMPERFECTION.

Now I could go on with this fascinating train of thought, the video game that the humans are playing, but I suggest instead you read "Butterflies are Free to Fly" by Steven Davis.

Everybody loves a bedtime story...

Anagrammy

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:01AM

Because Satan is the Holy Ghost... think about it.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
Both have no body.
Both are "angels of light".
'feelings' are carnal.

Posted by: dye ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:23AM

If you contend that Satan is necessary to the Plan of Salvation, and that Heavenly Father knew before-hand what was going to happen, and that being relegated to Outer Darkness is an undesirable existence even for Satan, then couldn't you say that Satan is suffering for us more than Jesus?

Yes Jesus suffered for a few days, a week tops. Satan is going to suffer for eternity. Who is the sacrifice?

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 03:31AM

The shepard needs the dog to play the role of the wolf in order to get the flock to go where he wants them to go.

Satan should not be seen as trying to thwart God's plan. Satan is an integral part of the plan. He is the testor. The refiners fire. The rock against which the spirit it broken and humbled.

Satan is adversity. God is our better nature, our humanity, the force within everyone that allows us to survive and rise above the challenges we encounter in our life.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 08:05AM

I apologize if this is stupid, but I honestly don't know... what do other religions teach about Satan (who is he and how he got to be the devil)?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 08:07AM

He is 'in on it' and gets a proportion of the income in return for keeping his mouth shut and playing along.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 08:36AM

I've raised this question before. Wouldn't the best way for Satan to fulfill his "no choice" plan would be to do nothing?

My TBM wife says that that never was his plan really, and all he wanted was the glory.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.