Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:12AM

I haven't decided on anything concrete yet, it's so nice just to "be" for now, since resigning from the LDS church in January. This weekend I am moving from the Salt Lake City area to Nevada to live and work with my nevermo boyfriend (he was raised Methodist), so I am free to ponder. I am considering attending the Methodist church, it has stained glass windows and a BELL CHOIR. I love bell choir music.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:27AM

I've been out of the church for 30 years. The greatest relief I have ever known is my belief that uncertainty is reality and I'm fine with it. (but I'm not certain that's 100% true....)

Buddhist thought suits me fine because I can meditate in my living room with music and candles and no one asks me questions or guilts me or wants my money. I can read, or not read. Chant or not chant. This is what free agency is all about!

Anagrammy

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:39AM

So I won't be redundant this time.

Posted by: formerMormon ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 03:02AM

atheist&happy:-) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I won't be redundant this time.

Same here! Life is good.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:47AM

I just live life to the fullest. Right now I am pretty disenchanted with any organized religion. After a lifetime of being told about "the one and only true church on the face of the earth" and then realizing it was all bullshit, it's pretty difficult to accept anything remotely close to church or any religion. I find "the spirit" and true hapiness with family, friends, a good bottle of whiskey or on top of one of Colorado's 14,000 ft mountains, or any combination of the aforementioned!

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 02:55AM

The church was bad for me. I suffered from emotionally crushing guilt most of the time and felt I'd never live up to Gods standards.

Once I realized it was all B.S. my life was instantly improved. I'm actually able to function better and accomplish more now than I ever could before.

I can't imagine ever subjecting myself to that kind of torture and slavery ever again. Some people claim that faith makes them happy. They are welcome to it.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 08:12AM

I came to the conclusion that religion is about control. So i never bothered to search for another church. I didn't want someone controlling my life. I also came to this conclusion: If there is a god, he or she or it isn't really involved or concerned about our affairs here in our little dusty corner of the galaxy. So I guess you could call me agnostic.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 11:50AM

I don't believe in Gods or Demons, and I don't believe in eternal rewards or punishments. I do believe in Karma, not in any cosmic sense, but in the very loose sense that usually reap what we sow.

I operate on the assumption that this is my one and only life. I'd better make the best of it.

Trying to make the best of my one and only life is very challenging. It's so easy to get distracted and pressured by outside demands/requests and waste my time and stress on things that I don't really care about, and then neglect the people and activities I love.

Life is a constant balancing act and that's enough of a challenge for me. I don't need to believe that I'll get to be a goddess if I live a good life. No thank you. If I live my best life, I'll be happy and fulfilled and that will be reward enough.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:41PM

I'm an agnostic going to a liberal Protestant church for the social aspects. But I dabble in the study of Goddess worship for the fun of it. Not because I am an ardent believer. And it makes Christians squirm at times. lol

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:44PM

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:45PM

Atheist and very happy.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:52PM

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:56PM

now I am an agnostic.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 12:58PM

who is also raising 2 amazing freethinkers and happy!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:42PM

I consider myself an agnostic atheist. I am a skeptic towards religion and can't help but come to the conclusion that they are man made. I can't say 100% that there isn't a higher power because I feel the universe is so vast and difficult to comprehend for my small brain.

If there is a god out there I don't believe he was behind the religion(s) as described in the Bible. I believe he knows our hearts and he has given us our own conscience and common sense that we don't need religions, churches, scriptures, or other men to try to tell us what he wants.

I really like Budhism, though it is more of a philosophy and mental mind set than a religion where you worship/follow a god.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:50PM

My feelings are very much like Ex-CultMember's. In reality, I'm agnostic, that is, I don't REALLY KNOW whether or not there is a god. Maybe yes, maybe no. But as a matter of lifestyle, I live as if there is no god. I prefer to consider myself a freethinker.

What is my reason for living? To be a good person, husband, father, grandfather and citizen. I try to live the Golden Rule to the best of my abilities, educate myself as much as practicable and to spread a little happiness wherever I can.

Life is good!

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:47PM

Maybe atheist. I know there can be no proof of God, but suppose I won't deny the unlikely possibility.

Posted by: Finally out ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:50PM

Christian - Non denominational.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.