Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 07:06PM

http://www.history.com/shows/how-the-states-got-their-shapes/videos/playlists/full-episodes#how-the-states-got-their-shapes-state-of-rebellion

Religion can be the only thing in my mind. A rebellious state? I guess Utah is rebellious to the Feds but not their prophet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 07:11PM

The only one that they've fully rejected in modernity is facial hair. Polygamy is partly under the rug, but still visible at the corners and by the bumps it makes. Underwear continues to shape Utah in a major way.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 07:50PM

Brigham Young pretty much single-handedly shaped Utah, IMHO. His influence lingers to this day (in less benign ways as his "inspirational" layout of SLC streets).

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 04:35PM

jan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brigham Young pretty much single-handedly shaped
> Utah,..

I doubt it. In the program following this one it said that if Yong had had his druthers Utah would have been bigger than Texas.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 04:57PM

Brigham Young and Joe Smith were megalomaniacs. JS wanted to be General, King, and President, and BY wanted to rule his own empire - the larger the better, which is why he sent so many people out as far as he could to settle in outlying areas.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 07:51PM

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:07PM

The history I have read shows Brig wanted to control almost half the area of the western U.S. As far South as San Diego and North into Idaho and Oregon. Remember that when the mormons arrived,,Utah area was controled and belonged to Mexico. That is why Brig and the boys wanted to come here,,no goverment control.

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:45PM

Utah underwent three revisions of it's boundaries. The first one was huge. Taking in what is now part of Oregon California and Wyoming. This was what Brigham Young envisioned as being the State of Deseret. It even had a seaport in California near San Bernardino.

When Utah applied to become a territory congress immediately saw trouble brewing and reduced it to what is now Utah and Nevada. During the second application for statehood during the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln was a ticked off at Brigham for petitioning to enter the Union as a slave state. This angered Abraham so much that he split Utah Territory in two and made Nevada a state.

This is why the Nevada state motto is "Battle Born" and why Nevada was the only state created during the civil war. After Nevada became a state Utah's boundaries were pretty much what we have today.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:54PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wpdms_deseret_utah_territory_legend.png

I gotta correct you though, there are no sea ports near San Bernardino. The sea port BY wanted was San Diego Harbor. That's right folks, San Diego would have been part of Deseret (Utah) if BY had had his way!

Date: May 29, 2011 06:02PM

It was San Diego. I had San Bernardino on the brain.

Date: May 29, 2011 06:06PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 06:24AM

You left out West Virginia. It was created from the counties in Virginia that did not vote to secede from the Union during the Civil War.

Date: May 30, 2011 11:40AM

Indeed. I stand corrected twice! LOL. Apparently only two states were created during the Civil War, W Virginia and Nevada.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:57PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 12:50AM

I'd add lust to that.

Ana

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 10:21AM

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/statehood_and_the_progressive_era/struggleforstatehoodchronology.html

The Project Gutenberg EBook of Under the Prophet in Utah
by Frank J. Cannon and Harvey J. O'Higgins http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7066

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:31AM

to Wyoming because the feds didn't want the mormons to have control of Fort Bridger and the Oregon/California/Mormon Trail crossings over the Green River.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:39AM

Green JELLO

JB

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:51AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.