Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 05:56PM

I'm only posting this because I wrote this whole stupid thing, only to find the thread closed when I tried to post.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,202992,202992#msg-202992

I've historically packed a larger bag, because I like to have choices, and ended up wearing half of what I brought with AND wishing I'd brought something else instead.

I took six pairs of shoes (including the ones on my feet) to DC in April, and wore four. Didn't wear all the clothes, either. Then there was my long black trench coat, which I love, but I could have gotten by without that and had to open the extra zipper on the big suitcase I call Fatass to bring it home. I'm 6'1", so my stuff is big and takes up a lot of space.

It's not a big deal because I have to check a bag, anyway, with a wheelie briefcase and a purse, and my hair tools are big and I use too many kinds of goo to fit in a single quart-sized zippy bag, even if I put them all in 3-ounce bottles.

I have good luggage that wheels around easily, but I always say I'm going to die on a down escalator at some airport somewhere, trying to get two wheelies on behind me. The bigger the second one, the more dangerous it is. Plus it's dumb to schlep around (and risk losing) the excess wardrobe.

So, last week when I went to Houston for a 2-day meeting, I did something radical: figured out exactly what I was going to wear and packed only that. Two jackets, two tanks, one pair of black pants, and one pair of shoes. Then I threw in my flip-flops, comfy pants, and a T-shirt to kick around the hotel, and it all fit in my smallest suitcase (the one that would fit in the overhead or be gate checkable if I didn't have so much goo).

It was nice with two small wheelies, and I cheated death on the escalator once again, and I'm converted! I might even look at a goo-reduction program.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 06:01PM by munchybotaz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 07:04PM

That was great, just hysterical.

Now, NOTHING beats a military PCS (permanent change of station, or simply, a "move" for all you civilians) overseas with multiple little children though.

Just imagine: 10 large-large wheeling suitcases (all labeled with duct tape since I have OCD issues and husband has ADHD issues), one double stroller, one single stroller, 6 backpacks, 2 carseats, 2 laptops, several baby-dolls, stuffed animals, pillows and blankies.............

I get shakey just remembering it all.............

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 07:27PM

and, since I got my matching hard-sided suitcases with the black-and-white print that you have to look at closely to see the flaming skulls (makes me feel so badass, and yes I've taken them to clients' offices and gotten compliments), I feel sorry for the people with the black fabric suitcases. I see Skully or Fatass or either of the two I haven't named yet coming down the conveyor, and I know whose suitcase that is.

Then the person next to me says, "Cool bag!" Best money I've spent in years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 07:37PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 10:42PM

Confession time. I am like, totally, um, well, let's just say I arrived in Northern Ireland well (but tired after missing two connections due to airline incompetence-- Heathrow is my nemesis) and have made myself quite welcome at a local pub. I just got back to my lodgings and I'm drunker than two skunks. I don't even know what that means, I just love everybody. I didn't come here to drink, but apparently I have a gifted constitution.

Anyway, whatever my point was when I started typing this post is a mystery to me. munchyb, I totally love you, and your suitcase, and your posts, always have since I started here. You have an iconic username and I've always loved reading what you have to say.

Gawd, I need to cut myself off, I'm so full of love and feeling. I mean every word, but I usually keep such things to myself. But, maybe I just need to spread it around. Seriously, I love you all.

And, Mrs. Solar Flare-- RESPECT. Seriously. PCS-- not for me. Nicely done.

Well folks, you know I need to be cut off about now. I have serious liking for you all and enjoy this board enormously. Now I must get back to whatever is in store for me here.

PS: RfM, thanks for all the advice. It put me at ease. I was stressed out before and during the whole trip here and once I touched ground in Belfast, I suddenly felt comfortable and I've had a scream since. You guys really helped me. I took a lot of your ideas to heart and adjusted my bag accordingly-- and passed some of your suggestions on to friends. Good advice, really. Thank you sweets.

Later :0)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.