Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 03:20PM

Have you ever tried to get Mormons friends or family to read the real truth about Mormonism by using any of the websites below? And if not why? And if you did how did it go?

www.mormonthink.org
http://20truths.info/
www.utlm.org
http://home.teleport.com/~packham/tract.htm
www.i4m.com
http://www.lds-mormon.com/
http://mrm.org/first-vision
www.irr.org

By the way I think the above websites are excellent resources for learning the problems in Mormonism and helping people out of the Morg. I think a majority of Mormons would bail from the cult if they learned these things, but the problem is actually GETTING them to look at the evidence (and ALL OF IT too).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:20PM

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:00PM

I have. I thought, "Oh man, she has got to read this. It'll change her mind or start the ball rolling."

All it did was for her to say that such sites and posts just made her feel stressed and upset, and to please not send them to her anymore.

Mind control and phobia indoctrination much?

Boy, didn't I feel shut out.

The church uses the "seed of faith" idea or the idea of even if you only have a desire to believe then that is enough to start with. Of course once people are in, church leaders warn members not to open their minds to anything else that might disagree with the church.

A convenient double-standard for the church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 06:45PM by derrida.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:14AM

Ditto on this comment. All I've done, apparently, is cause stress by recommending these sites.

Posted by: tanngrisnir ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:34PM

I once recommended http://www.mormonthink.com to this girl who said she wanted to know if the Morg was really true, as she was having doubts. Just got a temple wedding invite in the mail from her, so it looks like it didn't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 06:36PM by tanngrisnir.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:57PM

Makes me wonder if she even got past the first page. Many Mormons start to read "anti" and then get scared and stop. Its insanely frustrating to watch them stick their head back in the sand when they barely scratched the surface of the truth.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 08:57AM

You can lead a Mormon to the truth, but you can't make him think.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:12AM

Only the StayLDS website and the video.

I've sent lots of information from various places, but not the sites themselves since they are so easily dismissed by believers. Sending people to a link that they think will help them to save me is a better way to let them see those same facts.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:27AM

JoD3:360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only the StayLDS website and the video.
>
> I've sent lots of information from various places,
> but not the sites themselves since they are so
> easily dismissed by believers. Sending people to a
> link that they think will help them to save me is
> a better way to let them see those same facts.

The site with JSmiths geneology and shows all his wives is Kolobian. Married so many young girls, in 1844 springtime, it was an orgy.

Doesn't matter, until a person wants to see it, they won't, many in my family took death oaths, like I myself did. I show them scripture, from JSmith condemning it, show them prison gang oaths that are just like it.

They still say "but the gospel is true anyway"

Posted by: faboo ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:24AM

Those kinds of sites are easily dismissed by TBMs as "anti-Mormon", and cause them more anxiety than anything. However, they can be a good starting point in figuring out references to bring up if a TBM asks why you don't believe. I've found unflattering things church officials have said or done on sites like that, and then later dug them up on the church website or in BYU's online archives.

Those are the sorts of things that TBMs can't really argue against. Unfortunately, this won't necessarily stop people from latching onto apologist sites and books as a way to counter them.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 12:18PM

It is Mormonthink.com not .org

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.