Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 01:03PM

The lease on my car was up, so I turned it in and got a new car. I learned later that my old car had sold in two days. Obviously, someone was happy to have my used car, even though it had "been around the block a few times."

It made me think of LDS attitudes about virginity. Oh no! A penis had been in a vagina and now and their owners are USED and almost WORTHLESS! They're licked cupcakes, chewed gum! Who could possibly want someone who isn't 110% pure?

Um, LOTS of people would.

I realized how silly the virginity thing is the instant I was no longer a virgin. All that hype and worry and guilt over.... what? Did I care whether any of my partners had been test driven or had been previously owned (some with high mileage)? Not at all. I only cared whether they were free of disease -- the same way I'd want a car to be mechanically sound.

My new car was no longer new the moment someone drove it out the factory door and onto a transporter. It was no longer new to me the moment I drove it off the dealer's lot. So even if you and your partner are virgins the first time you have sex together, poof, you're no longer virgins. Now what? Where did that thing you've been saving all those years, through all those temptations -- that Most Precious Gift -- go?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 01:19PM

I absolutely agree...1,000,000 percent!!!

Posted by: Lori at 48 ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 01:29PM

I remember my thoughts whenever this topic would come up: But sister so-and-so had two kids and has "done it" but that didn't stop brother so-and-so from marrying her.

I'm glad I only bought into that myth for so long. In fact, my first boyfriend really wasn't into girls that didn't know anything and tried to bring me up to speed as quickly as he could! ;-)

Lori

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 01:39PM

Rather than viewing romantic partners as cupcakes or cars to be used, view them as people and sex as a skill. Virgin sex may be kind of a fun idea, but they don't know what they are doing.

Who wants to ride in a car with a driver and his learner's permit? I'd rather ride with someone who knows the equipment and handle it.

This goes beyond sex. Virgins have little relationship experience, because you can only become so intimate with someone without sleeping together. Besides the actual sexual acts, you miss out on the foreplay, the pillow talk, and walking up together to start your day. You don't get past the sexual tension to the comfortable relationship of getting to know each other and discovering your compatibilities and areas of friction. Non-sexual relationship are adolescent relationships, and virgins have never really known what it's like to date someone.

It can take years and several tries before you find out what you really want and the person who can give you that. Marrying the first person who makes you horny is like buying the first car on the lot and never taking it for a drive first.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 08:32PM

I resent that comment!

I am sure I am going to be an ACE out the door.

Ha ha ha ha!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 08:38PM

Actually, I was a virgin when I married my husband (and for two weeks after the wedding). He had only been with his ex wife. We are very sexually compatible, though, because we found out through talking that we liked the same kinds of things... He'd read some of my erotic stories and I'd read some of his. ;-D We also lived together for six months before we tied the knot... slept in the same bed, but did not do the deed until we were man and wife.

We've been married for 8.5 years and still get along famously. For many reasons, I'm glad I waited. He truly is the best lover I've ever had. But then again, I am a nevermo, so I didn't have the hangups about being a "licked cupcake."

Date: May 30, 2011 08:42PM

Ha ha ha!

Date: May 30, 2011 08:46PM

What's that? A nervous giggle?

The world is full of different people and there's more than one way of learning about what turns someone on. That being said, it wasn't necessarily my plan to save myself for marriage. That's just how things turned out.

Date: May 31, 2011 01:39AM

No.

It was funny so I laughed!

You know since I decided not keep my covenant loud laughter is the order of the day!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 09:21PM

My feeling is that at least one person in bed should know what he or she is doing. Two virgins together is shared cluelessness.

Date: May 30, 2011 09:26PM

Yeah, I guess I can agree that two virgins, especially if they're both really young and indoctrinated with too much religious BS, has the potential to be disastrous.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 01:42PM

This is set so everyone (with a Facebook account) can see it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1332202602109&set=a.1326247093225.35274.1742341268&type=1&theater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2011 01:43PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 09:01PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 09:07PM

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 09:15PM

Actually - I have been saying that for 11 years now because I think it is a cute thing to say. If I were indeed committing the act of puppy making with anyone other than the obvious suspect no one would hear about it.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 09:48PM

It's a weird obsession with something that is an abstraction. There are no "pure" people like there are no "perfect" people. It's antiquated and downright pathological, IMHO.

Date: May 31, 2011 01:40AM

You leave my pure and delightsomeness alone

:D!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.