Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 06:25PM

It's been 11 years for me since I stopped being TBM. A few lessons I've learned:

1. ASAP it's important to get past Stage #1 Denial to Stage #2 Anger and then realization that steps 3-5 of Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance will come. Specifically I'm talking about the Kubler-Ross model.

2. Don't get rid of the garments. In fact buy more to keep for the future (or to sell to exmos & nevermos who are curious). They'll become excellent props & things to show friends in the long run future.

3. Don't apologize for not believing anymore. It's not your fault. Nothing that you did or could've done can change the fact that Mormonism was always false (even while Joseph Smith was alive). In fact its certainly not the fault of any of your grandparents because they all were born after Joseph Smith died.

4. When people try to put you on guilt trips that you need to "keep your covenants" then I'd just remind them that you never made any oath at baptism or any other occasion before your first church so-called covenant to lie about church history/doctrine. This whole "keep your covenants" game is just a shameful manipulative guilt trip attempt that falls apart quickly when they realize that the covenants forgot all about making sure a person explicity agreed to lie for the church.

5. Anytime an apologist opens their mouth (or provides information) its of ZERO use unless it's accompanied by a "thus saith the Lord" endorsement from the First Presidency presently. Any apologist who tries to defend the church frankly lacks all credibility or standing w/o such an endorsement. They seem to conveniently that the only standing that the church has at all is its "We Thank thee O God for a Prophet" mantra.

6. Establish and maintain consistent discussion/communication boundaries with TBM relatives. From time to time I've had relatives try to get me thinking or verbally engaged in conversations that would help me "see the light". A simple "in follow up to last night's conversation I will not engage verbally or in writing on such a subject again until direct official answers are provided by the church on my personal questions" email worked. Then if they ever violated this again I had an email trail I could just forward back to them showing how they overstepped boundaries. In some cases this would result in a few exchanges but it always worked eventually because I made it clear that any in-depth discussion on any topic would require the "truth, full truth and nothing but the truth" in-depth discussion of the problems I have with the church.

7. For me this was the hardest one and plenty of heartache between 2000 and the present ...... clearly and fairly conclude how the realities on the church's actual history vs. the lies I had believed pre-marriage are impacting marriage, spouse, children, and responsibilities. I was too much of the "sacrifice everything" mentality which caused me to let my spouse behave irresponsibility when she became an exmo and this led to plenty of resentment by me in the long run + plenty of unnecessary drama + ups/downs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 06:34PM

8. There are going to be plenty of ups/downs in life. When the downs come there will be plenty (yourself especially) who will think you need the church as an anchor to get through the problem. Life has proved this fear/idea is bogus. Its just a fact that life has its ups/downs.

9. If you get offended on RfM (or on other IRL or online exmo forums) don't fret. This message board (and others) go through their ups/downs. Just because someone is offensive here (or you offend someone) doesn't have any impact on whether or not Joseph Smith had his First Vision in 1820. That matter was settled long before any of us were born.

More on #7 - by the "lies I believed" I mean completely about the church being what it claims to be. An outcome of me being TBM was that I married before I was really ready and had kids right away and that there were plenty of issues that me & their mom should've solved up-front before marriage and definitely before we had kids. We would've done all this IF it hadn't been for the church's teachings. However we didn't and the responsibilities of fatherhood/marriage weighed on me. Looking back I wish we would've addressed our differences 11 years ago.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 08:07PM

:)

Well thanks. I needed to hear this.

I am working thro' the whole leaving process.

I still have a VT, got a calling, not sure why I accepted, so I am going to have to go in and decline and now it is going to be a spectacle.

The folly of talking to TBMs so that got me all confused.

Very worthwhile points....

I really just out the gate.

I know I don't want to be there. I hate it. So...that takes care of that.

But now its just me!

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 08:50PM

It gets easier!

At 11 years out I had not even come across this bulletin board (that came at 12 years).

Warmest wishes for wonderful lives for those all along the weird journey that is escape.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:43PM

I like your number 6. Boundaries, so important. You set that stage and stuck to it. Good for you.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:47PM

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:56PM

I like those lists.

I never imagined that these people that I had been such a rock for would turn out to be a "little nuts!"

I mean if they were so awed by knowledge...why do they not want to know the truth, the good, the bad, the ugly?

I love the testimony bearing they do.

I just know Joseph Smeeth is a prophet.

I know the gospel works, the church had been so good to me.

I know president Monson is guided by God.

God wouldn't reveal to you to leave the church

You are so intelligent, think of all the women you could help.

The church needs people like you with a strong testimony!

Yes they do need me...they need me to tell the truth!

Yes I do know better: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!

Boooyah!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.