Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 06:10PM

"I am sad when people say they don't need to go to church to worship God. That is partially true. We can worship God anywhere at anytime. By going to church and partaking of the Sacred Sacrament, we are edified, uplifted and we renew sacred covenants we made with God. We are spiritually fed, which we need as much as we need food. We are more ready to face a week in the WORLD."

I CAN'T STAND THIS WOMAN. Edified and uplifted? More like bored to frickin tears and depressed. Spiritually fed? I was spiritually starved to the point where my spirit almost died. I was a shell of myself as a Mormon.

And then her friend wrote this which brought a smile to my face...

"At church today, they said that out of about 600 members, only 150 attend (about 23%) and only 8% of home teaching gets down. I knew there was a problem around here."

Yeah, I know what the problem is...the CHURCH IS THE PROBLEM and no one wants anything to do with it dumb asses! Seriously, I felt like I was taking crazy pills as a Mormon. I felt none of this goodness my MIL speaks of. I was very depressed. Is this her way of just brainwashing herself because she knows damn well there's no uplifting or edification going on. I honestly feel like asking her if she even knows what the word edify means or if she's just parroting her LEADERS.

Sorry, thanks for letting me vent :p

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 31, 2011 06:12PM

Oh, and my MIL likes to front and be all churchy on FB but in reality, she's a horrible, selfish, stupid person.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 06:17PM

Are you going to call her on her stupid shit, or is it not worth it?

For me, I just post my own really offensive things on my own FB, and that usually shuts them up. I'm pretty sure that my MIL has hidden my feeds.

Haha!

Date: May 31, 2011 06:32PM

It's not worth it. At all. She already has convinced herself that the reason for my disaffection is because I've SINNED. That, and I'm a minority and was never good enough for her white and delightsome family.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 06:37PM

I'm sure it's somewhere in the scriptures that were originally written by "minorities." My MIL is convinced that I'm the reason that Mrs. Raptor Jesus "left" the fold. Whatever.

It's not worth it for my MIL either to confront her on her turf. Plus, it's her goddamn Facebook page. But I reserve the right to put whatever I want on my own.

If'n peeps can't handle it, then peeps should nay be my Facebook peeps henceforth.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 07:46PM

Ha ha ha ha ha of course.

Always its not that you see the farce, its because you are a SINNER!

Please ask her how well she is doing Keeping ALL the 10 Commandments.

And not OT style...JESUS style where he says if your eye offend, pluck it. If your right arm causes you to sin cut it off...

Yes please tell me how well you are doing [No I don't want to hear about the Pharisaical law keeping where they grade on a curve and pick and choose!

Arrrgh! [I am not allowed to preach] but really calling you a SINNER?

A sinner according to Jesus standards is someone who thinks they can keep the law.

You mom in law is like my TBM friends...that I have exed and asked them not to talk to me about BULL!

Date: May 31, 2011 07:48PM

Ha ha ha ha! I wish you were in Oregon!

Please...I will take "pure and delightsome" over White and delightsome any day!

Being black I know what you mean.

I cannot tell you how many Peter priesthoods totally loved me...BUT for the color of my skin.

IDIOTS!

Go be happy...if your MIL is really happy why is she all up in your grill?

Heaven forbid someone is having fun!

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 06:18PM

In the exact same "testifying" language. To me, that is a sign of brainwashing.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 06:54PM

it's the most uplifted and edified she's ever felt in her life. Which is even sadder. But if she spent her whole life in a morg, then it's entirely possible that what she feels on Sunday is as good as she thinks the world gets. Like a child in the third world who has a bunch of diseases but since that is the way of life, it doesn't occur to that child it's possible to feel whole and healthy and well-fed.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 07:30PM

Do they seriously believe this when they talk about how uplifted and edified they found church to be, or is it just lip service? It's really hard to imagine anyone actually feeling uplifted.

My mother once remarked, "Can I ask you a question? Why doesn't your religion make you happy?"

I guess I'd arrived home from church looking all drained and tired (probably just bored), but it really struck a nerve when she said that.

I hadn't even realized, until that point, the negative effect the Church had on me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 07:49PM

I think that's an incredibly good point, Greyfort. Church should make you happy, content, and at peace with yourself. Attending church should be a positive, uplifting experience. If it isn't, what's the point of attending?

With regard to the MIL's FB post above, I think I would either let it pass, or respond to her, "I'm glad that attending church makes you happy."

A colleague of mine who is a born again said something very similar to me -- that she needs her weekly church attendance to feel spiritually nourished. I just took her comment to be part of the fabric of life. We're all different. However when people generalize and say that *everyone* should go to church, you have to wonder if they realize that not everyone is like them.

Date: June 02, 2011 02:05AM

I would never give my MIL the satisfaction of responding to her. And that is my biggest problem with her - not that she's Mormon and it makes her happy, but that she imposes her religion on everyone else and looks down on those who choose not to live her Mormon way. If your religion makes you happy, fine. But Mormonism isn't for everyone (I would argue Mormonism isn't for ANYONE) and she just can't accept that.

I also have Christian extremist in-laws who try to out Christian their Mormon relatives which is equally infuriating to me.

Date: June 02, 2011 02:09AM

Oy Vei

Er Red Zin?

I know Sr. Battle-Axe.

I am sooo happy I just can't help but impose my happiness!

Really...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 07:34PM

Date: May 31, 2011 07:42PM

>>>>>>>>I CAN'T STAND THIS WOMAN. Edified and uplifted? More like bored to frickin tears and depressed. Spiritually fed? I was spiritually starved to the point where my spirit almost died. I was a shell of myself as a Mormon.<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yes yes yes {for lack of a better term}

Yes ask her if she knows what edifies means...I find many TBMs to be very illiterate [meaning don't know what words mean] very much like princess bride. I don't think that word means what you think it means!

Spiritually fed...I go to church and I want to stab myself to death.

How is that spiritual feeding.

And have you heard that sacrament prayer of condemnation?
Compelling you to be worthy to partake.

If Christ died for sinners, seems pointless to clean yourself up so you can be clean to take a shower??????

Gosh...I am so glad about my new life. I always would look at the "EVIL" people and wonder why they were so happy, while I---"The EXALTED" was miserable...almost always about their happines while my GOD's greatest goal was to make sure I sacrificed myself DEAD!

Yes spiritually fed indeed!

Goodness...I wish I were in the same state as you.

I would immediately friend you and take on your MIL...just cause!

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 12:28PM

If it's true about the 600 members and only 150 attending, then clearly about 75% of the members find the church edifying or uplifting.

Date: June 02, 2011 01:59AM

LOL! Clearly! It's obvious everyone else has some kind of problem.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 02:24PM

I EFFING HATE Sundays.

All because my dad made us all go to church so we could be all edified and pure, and the entire day was wasted with the BS.

The only good thing that came of it is the feeling I get when I drive past a church on Sunday - let's just call it a feeling of holy superiority cause I'm not in there with all God's sheeple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.