Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 08:02PM

It's Boston and Vancouver in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup ice hockey finals. Puck drop momentarily.

Excuse me for being so frivolous and also off topic. But it's SO EXCITING. Vancouver hasn't been in the finals since 1994 and we lost.

We respect Boston for their talent and awesome history but definitely it's our turn to WIN IT ALL.

Sometimes you just have to leave work early, ignore world troubles, be thankful for your own good fortune and savour the moment, ya know?

Speaking of fortunes, the lowest ticket price tonight is apparently well over $600.00. I'm a loyal fan but not to that tune. I'm happy enough with my own little TV and a few slices of pizza. Hawaiian style.

Life is good when you can stop and smell the roses every once in a while. Or the locker room, in this case. :)

Go Canucks! We luv ya! (But I must say those Big Bearded Bruins are somewhat awe-inspiring. Especially that 6'9" defence man, with a reported wing span of 20 feet or something ridiculous like that).

OK, little puck, here I come... :)

I hope everybody enjoys their evening as much as I am savouring mine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 08:25PM

you get CBC. We get NBC. All year we get to see the regional networks cover the games.... then the playoffs come around and the NHL ignores its regular fans and tries to placate the masses with loud squawking, non-stop hype.

But yes, I'll have it on, but with music as my audio choice.

My prediction? The fans for the losing team will complain about the officiating. That's as far as I'll go.....

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 08:55PM

well i guess "Puck" wont be weighing in so i will for her!
GO BRUINS!! :)sides...cant side with the Canadians can we???!!! :)

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:00PM

Even though there's quite a bit of, shall we say, enmity between the Blackhawks and the Canucks, and even though the Canucks knocked us out of the playoffs this year, I still want Vancouver to win. 1) I love the city (and my sister lives just over the border in Washington, so when I go visit her, we spend a day in Vancouver). 2) I have (I'll admit, irrational) issues with Boston sports teams. 3) Winning the Stanley Cup last year was seriously one of the coolest things that I have ever witnessed. My God, that Cup is huge and old and gorgeous. And shiny. Very, very shiny. It's three feet tall and weighs as much as a 3 year old -- how bad ass is that? Nothing better. And the parade we had was so great. My voice broke because I screamed so much.

For Vancouver to win for the very first time would make me very happy on a number of levels. Go Canucks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 10:01PM by jbstyle.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:01PM

Go Bruins! :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:10PM

And Winnipeg is tickled pink to have an NHL franchise again after 15 years wandering in the wilderness.

Date: June 01, 2011 11:25PM

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:22AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 01:22AM by looking in.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:09PM

I lived in Boston for a time and saw them play. Win or lose, they're my favorite team and always will be. I just love it even more that they're in the finals. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Five-reasons-Boston-Bruins-should-be-happy-after?urn=nhl-wp6279

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:25PM

Goddamn right, Go Bruins! If it ain't the Redwings then I'm for one of the original 6.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:31PM

I'm cheering for the Canucks - hell, I live on the coast in BC, it would be suicide not to! ;-)

But what I love best about the playoffs is all the beards... swoon!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 01:31PM by spaghetti oh.

Date: June 02, 2011 01:32PM

I have a beard!

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:51PM

Do you have a puck? ;-)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:34PM

So I drew up Cosmo the Cougar with a hockey stick, etc., accompanied by the caption, "The Puck Stops Here."

(Hey, it wasn't my idea. I was just the doodler for the client).

It didn't turn out that well, either. The lettering wasn't big, bad and bold enough and the colors were wimpy.

That said, "Go, Canucks!"

(My mom's from Canada, my grandmother taught school in Raymond, I have cousins in Calgary and it's a great big, beautiful country).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 01:57PM by steve benson.

Date: June 02, 2011 01:45PM

Steve:

I say we meet up at the stampede and watch us some chuck races. Think any of your kin would put us up?

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:54PM

. . . well, at least the ones that seemed to be spooking her.

Anyway, I remember going to the Calgary Stampede as a kid, way back in the day. Roy Rogers showed up one year to sing on the outdoor stage and it was pouring rain. The only thing I remember from his performance was his opening line: "This is fine weather for ducks."

Nonetheless, Calgary's a real nice place--green, lots of trees and absolutely idyllic during certain times of the year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 01:56PM by steve benson.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 01:46PM

Thomas is a great guy but, hey, GO CANUCKS!!

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:01PM

Canucks fail.

And I've been encountering a LOT of nasty Canuck fans - who are acting exactly as they complain Boston fans act.

Not worrying about my Bruins at all - I think this series is going to go all seven games.

Date: June 02, 2011 02:59PM

Sorry about the nasty fans. I haven't run into that. I haven't heard complaints about Boston fans. Sorry about that too. Sometimes I must dwell in La-La Land as I only notice the good stuff.

Thousands of Canucks fans in the streets last night and no trouble; except maybe a little excess alcohol. A few more thousand will show up for the Saturday night game, undoubtedly, especially as they're forecasting that spring will have finally sprung by then. It was a very wet May so we're due some sun. All the better to celebrate our win in Game 2 on Saturday!

I think the bite thing was highly oversold. At least that's what I heard. I hope so. Otherwise, yeah, not a good move. I hope it's a good fair, physical series but nothing that causes injuries. I might be rooting for Boston myself except not when the home team's in it! I'd also like the Sedin twins to get a chance to take the Stanley Cup home to Sweden. That would be cool.

But, I won't count the chickens yet. We definitely respect Boston and are taking it a game at a time.

Hockey 2010/11 has certainly been more fun than anything I ever experienced in Mormonism. Just saying so's to keep this somewhat in the ballpark, or the ice rink. :)

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 03:00PM

My team (Dallas Stars) is already out.

Timothy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.