Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:21PM

I've been thinking about this for sometime now, and most of you know my story and 7 month battle w/this. The lovebombing, etc. When I was investigating the church I'd witnessed no baptisms but 2 confirmations during visits w/the church. Minus the prominant noses, it almost appears as if they are/were the "Mafia" of religion. Tall, straight stance, confidant walk, and then in groups. It's as if they rule the church, not just the bishop. Maybe it just appeared that ways to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RubberPriesthood ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:44PM

This has always been a mormon culture.

The men after being laid by hands and confirmed Melchizedek
priests - suddenly is elevated into an imaginary super
priesthood powered beings. With ability to heal the sick and
drive away Satan ...and all the other fantastic powers ...
which many guys, sooner or later, discover do not exist or
work at all.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 11:53PM

Many men refuse to give up their pretend powers even when they know its not real they cant possibly allow themselves to break that ideal. What would they be then? Unremarkable. Unspecial. The same as. The bishop is not equivalent to a pastor in the LDS faith. The people are drones that carry out tasks kind of like members of an ant society. There is little feeling behind it though it may appear that there is, that can be contrived from years of practicing the appearance of humility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 11:55PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 12:12AM

His job is to keep the ward running efficiently.

Having served as counselor to two Bishops, I can tell you that training sessions are very much like the business leadership meetings at my work. What about spirituality? Well, helping the members to keep the temple as their priority and to make and keep sacred covenants is the LDS version of religious devotion.

Just like a boss at work, only a certain level of questions can be allowed, and only a certain degree of predetermined latitude is given-just enough to let the employee feel empowered.

Unlike a Pastor, the Bishop did not want his position nor did he intentionally train to qualify for the job. Unlike a Pastor, the Bishop does not have a degree of any kind, does not do his job full time, and does not have the freedom to fully invest himself in his calling...errr, assignment.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 12:17AM

Hmmm interesting to know!

I hate CHURCH.

No spiritual reason to be there.

My ward is a real sausage fest cause the bishop is all about Men have the priesthood.

The talks are mostly by men.

The whole ward is well conditioned

He told me when I moved in that he hoped I'd see how a real family ward runs.

He was very pushy...very I am a man!

Date: June 02, 2011 12:20AM

It still appeared that way to myself. Even though you have RS, it still appeared as if the "priesthood" is like a mafia. Maybe, not by actions but appearances, yes......

Date: June 02, 2011 12:25AM

females may hold a "position" by being RS leader(s) but, it still appears "mafia" style. In my view, it does. All of these men walking in ALMOST formation style, in rows of 2's. Then standing around a human being, almost as if that human being is being "made"

Date: June 02, 2011 03:25AM

from the outside looking in, maybe not appearing or acting arrogant, but very confidant.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 06:29AM

It's a bizarre kind of arrogance, because it's absent any charisma or "swagger", but penisholders are patronizing in a million subtle and offensive ways. Words and gestures designed to establish authority absent ANY credible merit.

There are remarkable Kolobian men who I admire more than I can say, they are humble, honest and the best friends you could want. The other guys are just unspeakably grotesque in any normal setting. They are the perfect parody of political (unearned) power. Like new commanders with no battle experience, the troops laugh at their incompetence, and secretly disdain them.

Power is confused for truth, at the highest (worst) manifestation, and displays of strange assertions, gravely made about the temperature of oatmeal, or the time of day become moments of awkward silence, especially for non Kolobians who haven't seen it before.

Like cult leaders Manson and Koresh, they assert authority to command anyone in their imagined kingdom, often extending far beyond their own homes and families.

I watched in stunned amazement when my friends hosted a very large backyard party, prepared the food and activities themselves, and then fell over themselves giving the presiding penisholder the floor for prayers and comments. You'd have thought he owned the home, provided the meal, or at least was the boss at work for everyone there. The arrogant prick didn't miss a beat, smiling, and giving his approval of the gathering, my wife laughed at me because she knew I was pretty near asking how it was he even came to be invited.

At another "party" where chocolate fountains and strawberries sat waiting for hungry guests to begin eating and dancing the guest speaker literally channeled Jesus, saying that there are "no single people in exaltation" he described heaven, and how Jesus would knock at gods chambers saying (I kid you not)

"Lord, Rofflemayo is here, and he would be with the father."
"Did he find a companion in his earthly existence?"

He spoke in the dead monotone that conference speakers all use, which is calculated to kill as many brain cells as possible so you'll stay Kolobian a little longer.

At this point the "party" mood was exactly what you would expect at a funeral crossed with a root canal. My wife and I were stifling laughter at her jokes about the Pope and Mother Theresa putting moves on each other in a celestial bar so they could get in. He noticed our giggling and (thank the god of your choice) he cut the his long winded and unwanted testimony short.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 06:38AM by roflmao.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 08:17AM

Im copying ypur first paragraph. Thats IT!

Date: June 02, 2011 11:55AM

suckafoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im copying ypur first paragraph. Thats IT!

It's yours with a genuine propeller beanie priesthood blessing thrown right in

=D

Date: June 02, 2011 11:03AM

Wow!! very interesting, to say the least.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 11:59AM

especially in certain callings tend to physically take on the notion that they Represent The Lord.

LDS folks, tend to walk a fine line between: humble and proud.
Some have a harder time with that than others.

Women, on the other hand, generally tend to be stuck in the "humble" part! :-)
Humble to the LDS means: teachable.
In other words, they are more easily molded into obedience to the will of Heavenly Father.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 12:14PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 12:14PM

Not really. Most of the men in the church are burned out and don't want to be there in the first place. Nothing tall, straight and mafia like that I recall. I know I looked like the cat dragged me in and the dog dragged me out most of the time. Baptisms were just an additional time away from my family, as if there weren't enough things keeping me away.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: June 02, 2011 01:00PM

Ron!

You look a lot better now!

Sorry we missed each other in February, I came close when you were in the city too, but will see you sometime

=D

Date: June 02, 2011 12:45PM

Never attended an actual baptism, just a confirmation. I just remember about 8 men walking up into the sanctuary, lined up and then circling around their person.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.