Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 10:38AM

My first entry is "Secret Combinations"= Bad men in Book of Mormon, but then there's those wacky polygamists in their magic underwear hangin' around with Joe Smith on the Down Low. Sounds like a Secret Combination to me.

What's your favorite "Do as I say not as I do" mormon moment, wherein something in the church teachings and BoM or D&C is abso-frackin'-lutely contradictory?

I got the idea for this yesterday when I was hearing Glen Beck's theme song that says "We will be the key." (I don't know why)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 10:52AM

One of the most used alibis for hypocrites - let me be your authority on morality (it's from 'God'), but don't expect me to live by the rules I ('God') set up for you.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 10:53AM

And those longjohn undies were also known as combinations, so maybe Joe made it an in-joke?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 11:44AM

One straight from the Old Testament. God says "thou shalt not kill," then 40 years later commands them to murder all the men, women and children (except for the virgin teenage girls) in Canaan.

Also, honesty is taught in Sunday School Gospel Principles classes out of the church manual, saying "When we speak untruths, we are guilty of lying. We can also intentionally deceive others by a gesture or a look, by silence, or by telling only part of the truth. Whenever we lead people in any way to believe something that is not true, we are not being honest." I'm not even going to begin to go into how many ways TSCC is guilty of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 11:45AM by kimball.

Posted by: JoD3;360 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 11:46AM

God cannot change or he would cease to be God/ whether by my own voice or my servants, it is the same.

In 1978 Bruce R. McConkie said to forget everything he ever said regarding race and priesthood(which he as an Apostle had solemnly proclaimed was a commandment and blessing from God)

Changes in the revelations in the Book of Commandments and D&C, Adam-God, Polygamy, Priesthood ban, Law of Consecration, Law of Tithing, etc.,etc.,

Date: June 02, 2011 11:57AM

Ooo, I got another good one.

BYU is accepting of students from all other faiths who agree to live by the honor code, and facilitates them joining the church, but rejects and expels any that had at any previous time been mormon.

Or basically, the general philosophy that it's imperative that people of other religions question their faiths, and it's imperative that mormons do not.

Date: June 02, 2011 12:57PM

oh oh oh, pick me again!

The article of faith declaring how we believe in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law, followed by the illegal practice of polygamy (in Illinois, followed by Utah after passage of the Merrill Act), sacking of the Nauvoo Expositor, etc...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.