Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 10:49AM

Prompted by the discussion on Brigham Young's quote on inter-racial marriage, I'd like a compilation of quotes where prophets and apostles say that the church would never do certain things without entering a state of apostasy (things that the church has since done).

I'm pretty sure there is a quote by Heber C. Kimball stating that the church would never end polygamy without apostatizing. Does anyone know where that is, or any other quotes?

Here is the Brigham Young quote, given in a join session of the Legislature on February 5th, 1852:

"We know there is a portion of inhabitants of the earth who dwell in Asia that are negroes, and said to be jews. The blood of Judah has not only mingled almost with all nations, but also with the blood of Cain, and they have mingled there seeds together; These negro Jewes may keep up all the outer ordinenances of the jewish releigeon, they may have there sacrifices, and they may perform all the releigeous seremonies any people on earth could perform, but let me tell you, that the day they consented to mingle their seed with Cannan, the preisthood was taken away from Judah, and that portion of Judahs seed will never get any rule, or blessings of the preisthood until Cain gets it. Let this Church which is called the kingdom of God on the earth; we will sommons the first presidency, the twelve, the high counsel, the Bishoprick, and all the elders of Isreal, suppose we summons them to apear here, and here declare that it is right to mingle our seed, with the black race of Cain, that they shall come in with with us and be pertakers with us of all the blessings God has given to us. On that very day, and hour we should do so, the preisthood is taken from this Church and kingdom and God leaves us to our fate. The moment we consent to mingle with the seed of Cain the Church must go to desstruction, -- we should receive the curse which has been placed upon the seed of Cain, and never more be numbered with the children of Adam who are heirs to the priesthood untill that curse be removed."

I guess apologists would cling to the phrase "until that curse be removed," which apparently happened in 1978.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 12:08PM

All quotes shamelessly lifted from D. Michael Quinn's essay:
http://www.lds-mormon.com/quinn_polygamy.shtml

Shortly after Congress outlawed polygamy in 1862, there were apparently appeals from friendly non-Mormons for the Church to voluntarily surrender the practice of polygamy without government coercion. Brigham Young responded in June 1866: "But suppose that this Church should give up this holy order of marriage, then would the devil, and all who are in league with him against the cause of God, rejoice that they had prevailed upon the Saints to refuse to obey one of the revelations and commandments of God to them."

Apostle Wilford Woodruff reaffirmed, "If we were to do away with polygamy, it would only be one feather in the bird, one ordinance in the Church and kingdom. Do away with that, then we must do away with prophets and Apostles, with revelation and the gifts and graces of the Gospel, and finally give up our religion altogether and turn sectarians and do as the world does, then all would be right."

Daniel H. Wells, second counselor in the First Presidency, introduced the subject by stating, "It is possible that we as a people may be denied the principle of a plurality of wives—hereafter, for not honoring it thus far.... If we do not honor this great principle, God will surely take it from us." ...Counselor Wells read a letter from President Brigham Young that "there was no danger of us having to surrender any portion of our religion—but as to Polygamy, if anything ever caused that principle to be withheld from us, it will be in consequence of the God of Heaven being displeased with many who have gone into it."

John Taylor: announcing a revelation of God which stated: "You may appoint Seymour B. Young [a monogamist] to fill up the vacancy in the presiding quorum of Seventies, if he will conform to my law; for it is not meet that men who will not abide my law shall preside over my Priesthood."

At October 1884 general conference, George Q. Cannon said that the appeal for a new revelation to "lay polygamy aside" was in vain because such a revelation would be useless "unless indeed the people should apostatize.

April 1885, the Deseret Evening News editorialized concerning "the demand that plural marriage relationship be abolished," and stated, "Were the Church to do that as an entirety God would reject the Saints as a body. The authority of the Priesthood would be withdrawn . . . and the Lord would raise up another people of greater valor and stability."

at the dedication of the Manti Temple on 17 May 1888, President Woodruff said, "We are not going to stop the practice of plural marriage until the Coming of the Son of Man.

Woodruff told the apostles, ".... The Lord never will give a revelation to abandon plural marriage."

A year before the official declaration President Woodruff recieved a revelation in which he was told NOT to announce that the practice of plural marriage was suspended:
President Woodruff considered the matter alone for several hours that evening and dictated a revelation of 24 November 1889 which stated in part:
"Let not my servants who are called to the Presidency of my church, deny my word or my law, which concerns the salvation of the children of men.... Place not your selves in jeopardy to your enemies by promise . . . Let my servants, who officiate as your counselors before the Courts, make their pleadings as they are moved by the Holy Spirit, without any further pledges from the Priesthood, and they shall be justified."

Posted by: The other Michael ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:00PM

This is very amusing -- "that the day they consented to mingle their seed with Cannan, the preisthood was taken away from Judah".

I've watched recent PBS specials on the origins of the Israelites based upon current archiology. It turns our that they were originally Cannanites who broke away after the disintegration of the Cannanite state system. They were not of a pure blood and they did worship multiple gods. There was no mass migration from Egypt and their god YWHY was likely stolen from another group of people.

So all of this 'blood mingling' crap is just that!

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:02PM

Yes indeed!

I know right.

It is so ridiculous. Thnk God for Mitt Romney...the expose continues!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.