Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dawkins ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 11:52AM

In another thread about temple recommends, the new barcodes were mentioned.

Can anyone explain how the barcodes work? Do they track attendance? Can they be remotely disabled and being invalid (for probation or other "sin" or apostacy)?

Does it pull up any infomation about you when scanned?

I think this may be the "mark of the beast" all of those fundies were talking about. LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:06PM

You mean other than a tithe paying app?

Other than their tracking temple attendance so they can come up with a new sadistic way to get people to pay?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:10PM

system from some years back. This system was used before, I used to have one, probably in the 80s. Maybe someone else can recall the years they were used.

I don't know what all it tracks, but probably: name, Ward, Stake, temple of attendance.
I think it can be used to buy temple garments etc. also, to track purchases.
They are like the grocery store, etc. barcodes. Nothing new.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:11PM

I was a temple worker when bar codes returned and we were told that people were purchasing recommends on the internet which looked absolutely real. They were coming into the temples and going through all the endowments...sometimes getting married.

I personally saw one of these "patrons", a young woman with jeans under her white dress, which was partially undone in the back. At the time, I was disconcerted, and brought the situation to my supervisor's attention. She ran through the temple trying to find the young woman....to no avail.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:12PM

Oh...the bar codes were to make sure that the recommend was issued by the church and not the internet.

Date: June 02, 2011 04:22PM

Anon455 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh...the bar codes were to make sure that the
> recommend was issued by the church and not the
> internet.

Ya... I think that is the main reason they brought them back.
It was too easy to make a temple recommend and forge signatures.
The LDS Church is getting very strict about who they will allow to buy garments and temple clothing also.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 04:44PM

You'd think they'd be able to discern there were fake recommends and unworthy persons.

Shouldn't the unholy stick out like a sore thumb?

Posted by: Dawkins ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 04:51PM

Thank you.

So when it scans, it just registers as valid or not valid (green light, red light)?

I was curious as to whether a Bishop or SP could turn it off (revoke or make it invalid) remotely.

Date: June 02, 2011 05:43PM

Dawkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you.
>
> So when it scans, it just registers as valid or
> not valid (green light, red light)?
>
> I was curious as to whether a Bishop or SP could
> turn it off (revoke or make it invalid) remotely.

Recommends are good for two years now days, I am told. If someone resigned their membership or is exed, or disfellowshiped, the bishop will ask the member to surrender their recommend, if they have a current one.

I think it registers the name, Ward, and Stake and the Temple they are attending and the date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 05:43PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 05:43PM

Having worked in the business field and familiar with some types of bar code systems, my guess is the card only contains some basic identification information.... maybe just a number.

When the card is scanned the information is sent to the computer room where the id is called up and all your information is available. That information is what your various groups record on you. This could be you purchases at church stores, your attendence records, your tithing, your callings, recommends, etc.

Anytime the card is scanned some information is recorded. If it isn't scanned when you go in for tithing meeting, then the information would need to be entered by hand and there could be errors.

You might be scanned without you knowing. Proximity technology just requires the card be near the scanner. It might be hidden in a piece of furniture as you go into the church or sit in the bishop's office.

You can talk about Big Brother, but it's all possible.

Yes the Bishop or SP could change a recommend just as you're approaching the temple.

Posted by: Flecher ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 06:47PM

I once got into a Costco with a recommend. They just waved me through with the other "members". I consumed many terrestrial samples with the gentiles!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.