Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 02:17PM

Let's start with:

1. Blacks are/were cursed because they were "fence sitters".

2. Amerindians are/were cursed because a guy was a jerk to his brothers.

3. There was a group of people who were *not* cursed around the Tower of Babel* time and kept the "Adamic" tongue.

4. Everything good about the American/South American natives came not from development over thousands of years, but because "white and delightsome" Jesus-loving Middle Easterners are superior.

And that's just so-called historical BoM stuff.

*If they really wanted to build a tower to heaven, why didn't they start on a really tall mountain? :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 03:14PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> *If they really wanted to build a tower to
> heaven, why didn't they start on a really tall
> mountain? :-)

Don't forget the ridiculous notion (which is clearly expressed multiple times in the OT) that "heaven" is just above the clouds over a flat earth. Or that Yahweh was actually worried that their tower would reach his "heaven."

:)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 03:17PM

I always hated that all-or-nothing BS that revolved around eternal families. I was traumatized at 9 years because my two older siblings no longer attended church. Yes, the primary teacher reassured my understanding of that doctrine that I would never see them after death.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 04:43PM

Let's not forget institutionally-sanctioned adultery.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 10:41PM

jan Wrote:
> Let's not forget institutionally-sanctioned
> adultery.

It was adultery, that Pervert Joe Intentionally mislabeled as "polygamy" in his attempt to justify it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqG5skfZcrE

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 11:13PM

Adultery is not very accurate. It ranged from coercion to rape.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 08:54PM

great doctrine from Joe..."If a faithful sister has an opportunity to seal to a man with a higher priesthood than her current husband enjoys, she may leave her husband and move in with the brother of the higher order, with no need for divorce or marriage to be performed. A simple sealing, and the deed is done."

This doctrine carried forward into the pioneer, territory years, and continues in some "unofficial, secret key of the kingdom" form among the "church leadership" today.

This is Joe's basis for "polyandry" in Nauvoo, where Joe got to "seal to" the wives of his trusting brethren, without their knowledge or consent.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 02:47AM

Sidney Rigdon was so distraught about Joe propositioning his wife that he had to be talked out of suicide. In TBM speak, he was offended.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 05:04PM

To me, it all boils down to one above all else. That you do not have the ability to determine truth for yourself, you need the church to tell you what is true.

As soon as you accept that one, the others seem to make sense.

Date: February 06, 2018 06:01PM

But, they DO tell you to determine the truth by yourself, by praying about it!
And if you get the answer they tell you you're supposed to get, you're right! And if not, you're wrong!

:)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 07:53PM

Correct!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 05:50PM

Here's one that's ridiculous and evil:
The best a woman can hope for is to be a plural wife in the celestial kingdom.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 04:43PM

I didn't really care for the eternal career option of co-ruling a planet with a "forever" husband. As a Federal Civil servant, I had had quite enough governmental structure, and wasn't eager to make it into an eternal life-plan. And I was divorced, so I was similarly not eager to get roped into a dual-management plan.

Both of them told me later that they weren't sure how to deal with that response.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 07:12PM

General (Specific) Conference

M@t

Date: February 06, 2018 09:22PM

I forgot to mention that this is the kind of tripe you *must* believe, or by definition you cannot be a member of TSCC; there really is no middle ground because you can't say "It's a good place to raise a family" or "The people are so nice"-- this BS is foundational, and they will try to guilt you and squeeze cash out of you!!

Things like D&C 132: the excuses that "It was only for a time" or "It was for widows" or "Old Testament prophets did it" or "It really wasn't clearly explained" or "Joseph didn't really want to do it" are so outrageously stupid it boggles the mind to imagine that a loving god would pull this kind of shit.

And even if He did, JS was a such a cad that he broke every rule/command in D&C 132!

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 09:39PM

"You shouldn't find fault or criticize your leaders, even if it's true." Even if they break most of the big commandments like bro Joseph did.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 10:38PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> Let's start with:
>
> 1. Blacks are/were cursed because they were
> "fence sitters".
>
> 2. Amerindians are/were cursed because a guy was
> a jerk to his brothers.
>
> 3. There was a group of people who were *not*
> cursed around the Tower of Babel* time and kept
> the "Adamic" tongue.
>
> 4. Everything good about the American/South
> American natives came not from development over
> thousands of years, but because "white and
> delightsome" Jesus-loving Middle Easterners are
> superior.
>

all of that is based on the white is great and good while dark is evil and bad fundamental premise of the book of MORmON.

Just as hopelessly stupid: dead people are waiting in some form of Hell for vicarious secret MORmON temple handshakes (that MORmONS will not openly talk about) to be performed for them so that the dead can be "saved" into MORmON heaven. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsakhmRzow8

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 11:41PM

The central doctrine of Christ's gospel is Kindness, Honesty, & Respect for others, those are AWOL from tscc.

Also, the Obvious, Blatant disconnect between Mormon leaders sayings/claims & their actions ('reality') is amazing, but TBMs pretend it doesn't exist.

Date: February 07, 2018 11:29AM

GNPE wrote: "The central doctrine of Christ's gospel is Kindness, Honesty, & Respect for others..."--basically the Golden Rule.

You hear that spouted at every GC: but the layers upon layers of gobble-de-gook that are heaped on top of that to make you "worthy" bury the Golden Rule until the original meaning is lost.

How does "Love your neighbor as yourself" fit in with "The first law of Heaven is obedience" or "pay tithing to be temple worthy" or "do you masturbate?" It fits in because "Heavenly Father said so."

TSCC was started during a time when Protestantism was very Old Testament-y so there's lots of fire and brimstone, right down to Jesus arriving in the New World and wiping out a number of cities and thousands of people--nice going, Mormon Jesus.

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 11:54PM

How about the old testament?? Sheesh when god told them to murder EVERY INHABITANT including women and children-- yikes, I don't believe that, sorry.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 12:59AM

Catholic theologians have been saying,quoting Origen, that these horrible Old Testament slayings should be understood as symbolic.
Most likely only the warriors were slain, after the women and children were sent to relatives in neighboring lands. Or maybe the Joshua story was all symbolism. Who knows? Hebrew literature tends to be full of symbolism and metaphor.

I'm just trying to say that I don't see the whole Judeo-Christian world to be far gone like Mormonism. There are some far gone sects, but there are many sensible ones too.

Date: February 07, 2018 09:07AM

brigidbarnes Wrote:
> Catholic theologians have been saying,quoting
> Origen, that these horrible Old Testament slayings
> should be understood as symbolic.
> Most likely only the warriors were slain, after
> the women and children were sent to relatives in
> neighboring lands. Or maybe the Joshua story was
> all symbolism. Who knows? Hebrew literature tends
> to be full of symbolism and metaphor.

Or...they're simply engaging in apologetic excuses, trying to reconcile (unreasonably) the brutal, tribal, murdering OT Yahweh with the (mostly but not entirely) "loving" NT god.

(btw, actual history and archeology inform us that the entire Moses/Joshua set of tales are complete fiction -- that there was never any captivity in Egypt, no "exodus," no wandering in the desert, no taking over the "promised land" by Joshua's great battles. Which makes those stories illustrative of what the people who wrote them, after the Babylonian captivity, *wanted* their tribal god and their history to be.)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 11:35AM

That you are so horrible that the only way you can be saved is by the brutal torture and murder of a god.

That your nature is contrary to the nature of god and that you must submit to god/the church to overcome your evil nature.

That there is nothing you can do to secure your salvation unless god allows it.

That the only thing you can do to secure your salvation is to endlessly work.

Bottom line I think the most evil doctrines are the ones that subjugate you to god and the church.

The list of ridiculous doctrines is massive but my favorite is that Satan shit on god's work so bad he had to fuck his boy up real bad to fix it.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 11:57AM

Where to start? There is so much that is simply insulting to the intelligence if not morally corrosive.

My nomination for the worst is the teaching of the pre-existence and the related judgement for behavior there.

The teaching of the pre-existence is the foundation for discriminating against non-whites and against anybody who was born in reduced circumstances. People who were "more valiant" in the pre-existence were rewarded with better circumstances in this life. Those who were less responsible got what they deserved - poverty, disease, dark skin.*

A corollary of this is the principle of "divine right" which is usually applied to kingship. With Mormons, however, it is applied to everybody. God wanted Mitt Romney born into a wealthy, white, Mormon family, so obviously he must be superior to a black man born to a single mom, right? God has already made his choice. Are you going to differ with that choice?

* - Except of course, if a good Mormon family has a child born with a birth defect. Then that is seen either as a reward to protect the child from the evils of this world or as a test to spur the child to greater achievement or a test of the parents to see how good they really are.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 05:27PM

Markj and I are on the same wave length nominating the pre-existence s**t as "doctrine that is just plain evil and/or ridiculous.

As a Mormon youth who gravitated to the church thinking I had found refuge from emotional abuse plus a promise and plan for kindness and trust that had pretty much evaded my life so far, when the teaching of the pre-existence hit my ears, I was at once smothered by shame, guilt and questioning and wondering.....what in the hell had I done up in heaven and why would a loving God treat me this way?

Wouldn't the loving and amazing thing be was for Him to have placed me into a home where love and kindness abounded so that "whatever I had done" THAT I COULD NOT REMEMBER had a real chance, a real opportunity to change?

This I will tell you hurt....a whole, whole lot.....because now I had two fathers who were treating me like I was unimportant to them.....two fathers that I did not trust.....and two fathers that I WAS GOING to question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 05:29PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: February 15, 2018 12:47PM

Well said. The whole basis of Christianity is that you are forgiven and your sins washed away.

The basis of Mormonism is that certain people are still paying for sins of their ancestors--sins that go SO FAR BACK that they were PERFORMED BEFORE THEY'RE ANCESTORS WERE MORTAL BEINGS!!

And how do we know that? Because ONE GUY said god told him so; that's right: Heavenly Father's Plan involves FORGETTING where we came from and what happened in the pre-existence, except that He told ONE GUY all about it, the same guy He told all about marrying a bunch of women and the same guy He provided golden plates to that described a group of people that seem to never exist!

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 10:24AM

A bishop telling someone in financial trouble to pay tithing.

Someone paying tithes instead of helping their kid through college.

Touting families and family temple work, but telling Am Indians, Islanders etc., they are from Israel. No, you don't have rich hertitage, you are Jewish and now you need to wear a 1950's business suit and vote Republican.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 10:24AM by perky.

Date: February 09, 2018 06:10PM

perky Wrote:
> ...you
> are Jewish and now you need to wear a 1950's
> business suit and vote Republican.

Isn't it ironic that most actual Jews (in the US at least) don't do either of those things? :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 09:14PM

Fuckin' near everything I've ever heard preached in a church.

Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 12:33PM

The Book of Abraham, pre-mortal existence,Martin Harris and his lost transcript of the Book of Lehi,baptism for the dead, magical underpants, the list is endless.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.