Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 02:11PM

We have lots of temples in Canada of other Christian and non-Christian beliefs. They are interesting to look at and some have some great buildings. What they do in their temples I am not sure. Their religious beliefs are not broadcast.

Yet the LDS Church builds temples and lets people know we do work for the dead in the temples. When you think about it that is very weird especially in a country that is very secular in their thinking.

I notice that in Edmonton the LDS temple is not one of the tourist attractions but its on a major roadway for people to see. I drove past it the other day. They had some cars and I thought, "people doing work for dead people." Is this a commmon view non LDS people have of the LDS temple?

I must admit after reading the Steve Benson discussion about the temple marks I have come to the following conclusion:

1) The Temple Ceremony has changed a lot since the time of JS.
2) No where in the discussion does it indicate "revelation" but rather "we feel" when changing the ceremony.
3) When non members start to really find this stuff out what will they think? How could they say the Church is guided by revelation? How could they say the tenple work is true when it has been altered?
4) The bretheren do not recieve revelation about the temple so that would also filter down to how they run the Church. I would love to sit down and ask them how they could say that God is the same today as he was yesterday and will be in the future.

Back to the temples dotting the earth? Are young married people attending the temple and doing temple work or is it the older folks who have been around a long time and have not really studied the temple history?

Why is it we here very few temple stories these days of dead people visiting the people doing their work? Back in the 60's we heard stories like this all the time that so and so was dead appeared to us in the temple. Never hear that today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 03:05PM

http://www.theonion.com/articles/planet-earth-doesnt-know-how-to-make-it-any-cleare,20639/

This article makes it pretty clear that the Earth is fed up and not going to stand (or spin) for it anymore. ;)

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 03:29PM

"Back to the temples dotting the earth? Are young married people attending the temple and doing temple work or is it the older folks who have been around a long time and have not really studied the temple history?"

A mix of both. My grandparents went all the time and eventually worked in the temple for a time. Older folks in the ward seem to go more than the younger ones, but our ward has a temple night set aside each month and a bunch carpool together. So who knows?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 04:23PM

I left TSCC back in 2000 just after the big building rush of the McTemples.

My personal view is that these temples will kick the mormons in the ass in the long run.

Here's why:

Growing up in the late 70's to 80's temples were few and far between. Going to one was a big deal. One would have to plan and save. The family would talk about it and plan sometimes for years before they could go. Back then, there were 20 in the world. Attendance required real investment in both time and funds.

Now they're everywhere. Some places that are heavily Mo have multiples. Boise will soon have one in Boise and one 10 minutes away in Meridian. The Phoenix area will have three?!?!? And those poor dolts in south SLC area will have how many - I lost count.

It used to be a "special" thing to see that gold leafed hammered copper angel moron on the spire. Now you can see that gold painted fiberglass action figure all the time.

They have built so many that they have become cheap and commonplace. Nothing special about them anymore.

But here is a problem for the next decade: Remodeling them. After 20 or 25 years, the temples usually get a major remodel. These McTemples were built on the cheap and on the fast. They will require even more than usual. Between 1998-2001 they built 55 of them. That means that in about 12 years they will have to pay for remodels on 55+ buildings. They had the money to build them back then. Will they have that kind of money to remodel in 12 years? God I hope not.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 04:58PM

+1

Posted by: Eric2 ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 08:49PM

Well, I hope not either but mostly because it's a waste of money, and the money is better spent elsewhere.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 02, 2011 11:38PM

Then when they exhaust the temple business model through saturation, the big boys in SLC can sell these often prime locations to private interests (for conversion into expensive coffee shops, health spas and funeral parlors) and get nice kickbacks.

It's a no-lose situation for the Churchco executives. Other people's money. Total control. No accountabiity. Fun times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.