Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: animatheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 11:41AM

For anyone who doesn't remember, this young Mormon couple refused to take their baby to a hospital, in lieu of 'alternative' remedies.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/father-convicted-in-sons-meningitis-death-a-featured-speaker-at-wellness-expo/ar-BBIYCBf?li=AAggFp5&ocid=mailsignout

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 12:36PM

"Wellness" is the code word for medical quackery.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 01:43PM

The fact Stephan isn't in jail is a crime.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 01:51PM

Absolutely! He has one more kick at the can (legally speaking) this Spring, fingers crossed that the Supreme Court will uphold his previous conviction.

I have no problem with adults making the decision to try whatever remedies they fancy, however wacky they might seem to me or others. But children don't have the luxury of making those choices for themselves and aren't always fortunate enough to have parents who are making good choices for them.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:39PM

One thing about Canada - the "justice" system tends to be far too lenient in many cases. Even if a person receives a criminal conviction for serious offences, all too often they are given very light sentences in relation to the severity of the crime they committed. They are out of prison in short order while families of victims are still in the midst of appalling grief caused by their criminal actions.

In this case where the child died - to me it's not so much a case of disagreement about treatment choices but more about criminal bad judgement leading to death. If parents want to use "alternative treatment" at the very least they are still responsible to exercise good judgement according to at least a basic standard of reason. If the person on the street would know the child requires urgent standard medical assessment and treatment then even more so should the parents. As the child's condition worsened surely it should have been obvious they weren't going in the right direction.

And how could a father, who has been judged to have been negligent in his child's death, still be touting the "benefits" of his brand of "medicine"? He gives the alternative treatment crowd a bad name. I don't blame other participants for backing out.

I think there is a place for a non-standard approach in some instances. Decidedly not, however, when a person, especially a child, has an infection or a surgical issue that should be an obvious medical problem that requires the standard scientific solutions; i.e. antibiotics, investigations, surgery, etc.

It seems, very sadly, that this guy has not learned anything from his child's death. It's pretty blatant to set himself up as some kind of alternative care expert at a conference. Sheesh.

Date: February 11, 2018 08:39PM

Agreed. Much too lenient. The time does not fit the crime in most cases.

Date: February 11, 2018 08:41PM

The father is so steadfast in his beliefs that we are all in the wrong to even think he did wrong. I don't know what ward or stake he's in or if he and his wife still attend church. He has his supporters on the "other" site.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 02:28PM

But you must know that it was the ambulance crew that killed the child, because the natural remedies sold by the parents were too much of a threat to (I forgot the adjective the stick and bark crowd like to use to make regular medicine sound threatening) regular medical practice.
[edit: found the adjective. Allopathic, a made up word that sounds vaguely ominous because of the root for "pathology" embedded in it]

One of the big advantages of being a conspiracy theorist is that you can discount any and all disconfirming evidence by declaring it to be part of the conspiracy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 02:42PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:17PM

Two major sponsors of the wellness expo at which he’s presenting have withdrawn their sponsorship for the event, due to his participation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/david-stephan-son-meningitis-death-speaker-wellness-expo-1.4530355

Date: February 12, 2018 11:25AM

I wonder if the asshole holds a temple recommend?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.