Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 07:33AM

I don't know if this post will be allowed here- I guess the mods will decide- but here goes. I read yet another article about the victims of the Florida shooting, and now i understand. we are all victims. We are all victims of the despicable way half of America has decided that God likes guns. God doesn't like violence; he doesn't like America more than other countries, and he doesn't even (shocker of shockers) think the Bible represents him very well. He especially doesn't like one political party over another, or one race, or one church. God weeps for all his children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 09:23AM

Amen to that.

And I'm an atheist :)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:08AM

Of what?

Being alive?
Equal? The Same?

I don't buy this argument and I don't sell it either.

M@t

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:35AM

Remember that little incident in the Old Testament called The Flood??
I doubt god weeps much.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:47AM

Which god are you talking about and how do you know this about him?

Do you speak of the God who had people put lamb's blood over their doors so he'd know which kids to kill and which one's to let live? The one who sent plagues and famines? The one who drowned everyone?

But you happen to know that didn't happen and God doesn't like being portrayed that way? the Bible got it wrong? So you invented a God to your liking? You are fixing his reputation to suit yourself? Well why not? Because man created God, each in his own likeness.

Half of America created their god in their own military assault weapon loving image. I don't like it anymore than you do. My vote doesn't seem to count for much anymore though and apparently neither does your "loving" God's vote if He votes at all.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 11:20AM

One of my main points is that the Bible is only one of thousands of descriptions of God, and the Bible is not to be worshiped (I use that word precisely) as the final word on what God is all about. The OT God is not very nice. The NT God started out nice, but by the time of St. Paul and the Revelation of John, somehow people decided they liked the old vindictive God best of all.

Yes, God is a human concept, but it seems to be wired into our psychologies to such an extent that most people need to have some sort of image of God to function. Yes, that is the very definition of an idol, but most people require their temporary idols. Those are the people to whom my remarks were directed.

Thanks.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 11:27AM

Nicely put and do agree. I do tend to bristle when anyone adds the word "loving" or "caring" when they refer to Bible God. I don't think that many read the Bible all the way through like I did---once, which was definitely enough. I wish I could rememberer the name and order of all the books now just because they keep coming up on cross word puzzles, though. :)

I do like the point your original post makes very much and loved using it as a spring board for my own slant. Thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.