Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 12:52PM

Ok the Catholic church is getting more strange now, a lady priest walked into my job and it doesn't bother me much because I am not Catholic, but many in the south are Baptist and don't want women preaching at all! You can't in the lds so called church, men are in the priesthood and everything else! Women just take care of the babies and be bored to death in the lousy relief society

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 04, 2018 12:53PM

I didn't like it at all and were talking about baptism of the dead and how to help Muslims, but Mormons don't care! They love to brag

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 01:15PM

a) What made you think she was a priest?
b) What made you think she was Catholic?

Just wondering.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 01:27PM

No they don't. Probably never will. Women are not worthy.

A female priest was probably an Episcopal.

Date: March 04, 2018 04:41PM

Yep but she had the white collar, could have been Methodist

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 04:50PM

crazyhorse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep but she had the white collar, could have been
> Methodist

Many denom ministers wear white collar. Cant go by that.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 07:58PM

An Episcopal priest is more likely to wear a collar than a Methodist; Methodist ministers typically don't anymore. Neither do ELCA Lutherans (much), Presbyterians, or any of the more laissez-faire denominations (UCC, Disciples, Unitarians); the less liturgical the tradition, the less likely the minister is to wear a collar. The only denominations where the white collar is still typically worn are Catholic (which she couldn't be), Missouri Synod Lutheran (which she also couldn't be), or Episcopal. If she referred to herself as a priest, then she's 100% Episcopal; that's the only Protestant denomination that refers to its clergy that way.

Source: 24 years working as an organist/choir director in all the above denominations.

Posted by: Lurker2018 ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 10:24PM

They're high church Lutheran

Date: March 04, 2018 01:45PM

No such thing as a female Catholic priest due to dogma of "in persona Christi"

Posted by: Curry ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 04:12PM

You won't find a Roman Catholic woman priest but there are women who are Catholic priests in independent churches. One example is Spiritus Christi Church in Rochester NY, which broke away from Roman Catholicism when it was reprimanded for having too many women in positions of authority, and especially on the altar giving sermons. This church has a woman priest. This church has a lot of programs to benefit the poor, and has reached out to the LGBTQ community.

Most people are not aware that not all Catholics are associated with Rome and the Vatican. For example, there is a Polish National Catholic Church started by Polish immigrants to the USA who wanted their own church in their own language.

Date: March 04, 2018 04:52PM

Curry Wrote:
> You won't find a Roman Catholic woman priest but
> there are women who are Catholic priests in
> independent churches. One example is Spiritus
> Christi Church in Rochester NY, which broke away
> from Roman Catholicism when it was reprimanded for
> having too many women in positions of authority,
> and especially on the altar giving sermons. This
> church has a woman priest. This church has a lot
> of programs to benefit the poor, and has reached
> out to the LGBTQ community.
>
> Most people are not aware that not all Catholics
> are associated with Rome and the Vatican. For
> example, there is a Polish National Catholic
> Church started by Polish immigrants to the USA who
> wanted their own church in their own language.

Very true.
Just because a group uses the word "catholic" does not mean they are in communion with the Holy See

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 05:26PM

And another thing: "Priesthood" in Mormonism is a wholly unique concept- and by "unique", I do not mean cutesy. In most other religious settings it refers to the group of individuals who have been specially selected to preside over a narrowly defined set of rituals. Sometimes that does include counseling, but usually only in the setting of a confessional, which is again a strictly defined ritual. In Mormonism it refers to the power of God. It is a force. It is an ordering principle of the universe. Prior to 1978, blacks were not merely barred from presiding over ceremonies. They were prohibited from participating in the nature of God and from achieving equal status with God.

Please remember this, all you non-Mormon news reporters. Mormonism is unlike almost anything you have ever encountered in your life.

Posted by: Hane ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 06:28PM

The white collar may indicate that she was a Methodist minister. No way in hell will the Roman Catholic Church, of which I was a devout member till my 50s, will ever ordain women as deacons, let alone priests!

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 06:50PM

I would be willing to bet that the LDS church has females in the priesthood before the Roman Catholic Church has female priests. in Both it will probably never happen but if the morg keeps losing members it might be something they do out of desperation however impossible it all may seem now.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 07:17PM

I grew up Catholic. The Roman Catholic Church does not have women priests, and I do not expect to see that happen in my lifetime (or several lifetimes.)

You may have seen a female priest from the Episcopal Church, or perhaps a minister from a number of Protestant churches, i.e. Lutheran (ELCA,) Methodist (UMC,) etc.

Curry (above) mentioned the Polish National Church. I visited a local PNC with my mom as a teen. I had no idea that the PNC existed before that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 07:19PM by summer.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 07:33PM

I lose hope sometimes, that mormonism will ever come crashing down. In its history, the catholic church has burned people alive at the stake, sold indulgences for money, and done a lot of other really bad things. They hold prejudices against women and gays (unless you're a priest who is molesting little boys). And yet they have money and prestige, and people donate money to them, even still. By comparison, the so-called "Lord's elect" that lead mormonism really are saints, despite their own dirty deeds in the name of god. Catholicism deserves to die and yet doesn't. Why should mormonism be any different?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 09:07PM

In the Pacific Northwest, in 2016, I visited some of my old stomping grounds. I visited 8-10 different denominations (Catholic, Episcopalian, Christian, Methodist, UU - Unitarian Universalist, or Universalist Unitarian) in three different cities, and never once heard a man preach a sermon.

Every church I visited had (at least one) a woman preacher/ pastor/ 'leader' (women preachers are more common now than you may believe or know). It didn't strike me as odd, but what are the odds?

M@t

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 02:32AM

The Roman Catholic church has no women priests. There are break-off Catholic groups that do.

I personally don't see the RC church in the negative light that many display here. They are the oldest church that we know of, and therefore have the most negative history. If you do some digging, ALL churches have some negative history. Catholics also have a great deal of good on their record.

There are many fundamentalist churches that don't allow women to preach/become a credentialed Minister. That is an interpretation of the Bible that some hold to. All of us are free to switch churches, if we want to.

Date: March 05, 2018 06:12AM

I understand why people stay. But IMO many of them stay in spite of the church's doctrines and practices. They make it work for them.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 08:23PM

The Roman Catholic Church is the Mother Lode of bad actions . just look at the past 100 years and you have:an alliance with the fascist states of Italy and Germany . The Pedophile priests they covered up if not downright encouraged . Doing nothing to stop the spread of AIDS because condoms are evil. 800 dead children abused neglected and murdered and dumped in a cesspool in Ireland . Making a truly horrible individual like Mother Teresa a Saint.Do some RC clergy help some people? Yes. The list of bad actions is almost endless so please stop with the "The RC ain't that bad " because they as an institution are horrific.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 05:20AM

Probably a Anglican priest. I haven't been to a Church of England church service in ten years that hasn't been run by a woman priest. And an excellent job they make of it! They certainly bring something special a d unique to a service!

Date: March 05, 2018 06:15AM

I was stunned the first time I walked into an Episcopal cathedral and saw a female priest. Until then I had no idea how hard it was to never see someone like you in a position of church leadership.

Date: March 05, 2018 09:02AM

Yep you are probably right and it is a break off from the Catholic church? But who knows!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 06:08PM

Isn't a catholic church break-off kind of like a mormon church break-off? How many mainstream LDS church members would leave to join a Warren-Jeffs-type of church? I am guessing that the catholic church break-offs have relatively a small number of followers. Catholics believe that their priesthood authority came through peter with no break in succession, while Mormons believe in a priesthood authority from John, as restored in 1830. So where would a catholic break-off church get their authority? Of course it's all crap anyway. But it would be interesting to see what they say about this issue.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 07:31PM

azsteve Wrote:
> So where would a catholic break-off church
> get their authority?

Why, they just make it up -- like every other church/sect does!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Catholicism

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 09:13PM

Doesn't the Catholic Church have female Eucharistic ministers who are allowed to administer communion to people, for example in nursing homes, after the priest has blessed it? I don't think they wear specific clothing, however. It's a lot more authority than Mormon women have

Date: March 05, 2018 09:30PM

jan Wrote:
> Doesn't the Catholic Church have female
> Eucharistic ministers who are allowed to
> administer communion to people, for example in
> nursing homes, after the priest has blessed it? I
> don't think they wear specific clothing, however.
> It's a lot more authority than Mormon women have

Women can be "commissioned" to be an extra-ordinary (meaning extra) minister of the Eucharist in the Catholic church, yes (the priest is the "ordinary" minister).

That means they can distribute communion during Mass, at nursing homes, or for the home bound.

They may or may not have albs to wear. That depends on the pastor of that particular parish. And they are limited to their parish only.

But it has nothing to do with being ordained/Holy Orders.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 10:32AM

I don't believe there are Catholic women priests. However, there are Episcopalian women who are priests. My former boss, formerly an attorney and managing director in our legal dept., left the company for the seminary about 7 years ago. She is also African-American and I cried when she told me she was going to be going to seminary and eventually leaving. Cried because of how much I'd miss her, but also because of how happy I was that someone like her would be in ministry. I hear amazing things about her now.

I attend a UU church, and we have a female minister. In fact, I think more than half of UU ministers are now female. They just don't come any better and I don't know of any men in the congregation who are intimidated by her. The Mormon church sure wastes their real talent and assets by not having a female presence in leadership. There are a lot of pretty great Mormon women, if they are left to their own devises.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.