Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 12:37AM

Today I saw an acquaintance I have not seen for about 10 years. He recognized me first but I stood there trying to place his face then it dawned upon me who he was. He was a mechanic who did some work on my car at a shop that was owned by a Mormon.

He told me right away that he joined LDS, Inc, how much he and his daughter needed the church and it turned his life around. He was a nice, straight-forward person when I knew him but he "confessed" he used to drink a beer after work and weekends at a friend's house while watching a game - not what I would call behavior that needed "correcting".

His physical appearance and personality was quite different from 10 years ago. He was overly talkative, over-shared and acting meek and needy. He was milquetoast and he had an odd grin on his face and made eye contact only twice - when I first saw him and when we parted.

His body language was different too...he stood at an angle and while he was talking he never faced me so it looked like he was talking to an invisible person. Someone walking past him came quite close and HE apologized a little too loudly and took a few steps back.

He said to me several times joining the church was the best thing he had ever done. I just looked at him and thought "What have they done to you to turn you into such a simpering, insecure person"? He was what some might call "a man's man" and now he stands there, shoulders drawn in, a slouch and seems so insecure -and he's "happy".

TSCC may be giving him something he believed was lacking but it stripped him of everything he used to be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: aeriegirl2018 ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:22AM

That's so sad! I lost my true self while active in the church. For 10years, I played the Molly Mormon role. I stopped listening to music, other than lds music. The stress of callngs, visiting teaching, raising kids, being a wife...started to affect my mental and physical health. Long story short, I've been on disability since 2006.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 10:55AM

The emphasis on strict obedience makes some members question their own judgement and many are afraid to stand up for their inalienable rights.

In short, Mormonism is a mind fuck.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:13AM

When they tell you to doubt your doubts they are telling you to doubt yourself. And Mormons do. As you say, they do "question their own judgement." What is the use of being alive if you are doing that?

Mormons surrender themselves to be used as the Mormon church seems fit. It's not life. It's existence. They diminish a person's humanity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.