Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 12:40PM

Stray Mutt said that for 30 years people didn't use 2 envelope wdding announcemetns.

Well, I guess I was not from Utah but lived here when engagged, so it was 24 years ago. We got the very traditional 2 envelope with invites and yeah, the reception after the temple. It was weird.

When I graduated in MI I also used the 2 envelope that was 85. So maybe he is right, I and my ex were not from here.

I can't remember last time I got an old fashioned invite....they are al the one page photo things.

I admit I like the photos, but then what is the point of saving them when they have al that writing? I like to save the individual picuteres.

Sorry about my typing. hands messed up today for some reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 01:14PM

Are you saying that for the past 30 years people in Utah haven't used the two-envelope announcement?

Married 32 years ago and in Utah, at that point a folded sheet of paper with a photo super-imposed with the invite details was the usual TBM route. In my native NY; the 2 envelope invitation has been used for as long as I, and my parents, can recall (and still used today.)

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 01:52PM

Sorry, I don't know how to quote his post-it was on the "addressing an envelope" part 1. Stray Mutt was saying that for the past 30 years people in Utah have been using invites/announcements OTHER than the 2 envelope. I was pointing out that I was married 24 years ago and used the 2 envelope, but I was from MI so that may have been why....

I think the 2 envelope is what is proper, is it not?

Date: June 04, 2011 08:51PM

32 years ago in Utah most people were leaning toward the cheap photo ones but some did still use the double envelope. Everywhere else I know of has always used the double.

out

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 02:00PM

Nowadays the predominant thing in the invitation is notification that the couple is registered at Target. And K-Mart.

Glue a ribbon by the picture of them sitting on a log and read which temple you aren't invited to attend.

Add a small Map Quest insert for location of the ward building where the reception will be held among the crepe-draped basketball hoops.

Place all in a colored homemade envelope and improperly address the envelope.

No thank you notes from the new Mr. and Mrs. will follow. Instead you will receive a baby announcement.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 02:50PM

Oh, so true...I can relate.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 02:00PM

IME it is a personal choice. I receive both single envelope picture announcements as well as two envelope ones. I'm right here in the heart of morgdom so I just don't think it is anything other than personal choice.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 04:56PM

bigred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IME it is a personal choice. I receive both
> single envelope picture announcements as well as
> two envelope ones. I'm right here in the heart of
> morgdom so I just don't think it is anything other
> than personal choice.

I agree and it is also dependent on what the couple can afford. Yes, you can get it on parchement like paer, engraved with two expensive envelopes, but that can b e quite pricy.

Posted by: out ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:52PM

But double envelopes is considered proper.

out

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 02:01PM

I was exaggerating a little when I wrote:

>Besides, Utah Mormons haven't used traditional 2-envelope wedding announcements in 30 years or more. They've been replaced by cheesy cards with a photo of the couple.

Sure, some people still use traditional invitations, but they are the minority of Utah Mormons. All the invitations from my pile of nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews have been the photo type.

Date: June 04, 2011 02:17PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> I was exaggerating a little when I wrote:
>
> >Besides, Utah Mormons haven't used traditional
> 2-envelope wedding announcements in 30 years or
> more. They've been replaced by cheesy cards with a
> photo of the couple.
>
> Sure, some people still use traditional
> invitations, but they are the minority of Utah
> Mormons. All the invitations from my pile of
> nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews
> have been the photo type.

Curious as to why you care. Why are the photo ones cheesy? Seems that is your opinion. 'Tradition' changes as technology changes. Do you feel that people are cheesy because they have a cell phone rather than a traditional phone that is tethered to the wall? For nearly 75 years the traditional phone was used...but guess what - the times they are a changing. Seems to me it is just another opportunity to bitch about and judge something. Good grief.

Date: June 04, 2011 02:30PM

...it seems more blatantly narcissistic. "Oh, look how cute we are. Aren't we just so special? Don't you love us as much as we do?"

Sure, weddings are about the couple (especially the bride) being the center of the f-ing universe for as long as they can drag it out, but at least it used to be done with more style and subtlety.

Why do I care? Because when yet another announcement/invitation arrives, it lowers my opinion of that niece/nephew/other relative. And because the photo cards are such a Mormon thing, they're like little posters saying, "We're too young, naive and brainwashed for marriage."

Date: June 04, 2011 02:56PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> ...it seems more blatantly narcissistic. "Oh, look
> how cute we are. Aren't we just so special? Don't
> you love us as much as we do?"
>
>
Wow Stray Mutt - you really read a lot into these don't you? It is no more narcissistic than a graduation announcement or any other big occasion. It IS about them, and they are just giving a medium for those that know one or the other of the couple to see a picture of the person they have chosen to marry. Of course they will be smiling - their love is young (perhaps a bit misguided) but they are doing the best they know how and just want to share their happiness with others.
I honestly don't think any of them think to themselves 'don't you love us as much as we do' I really think they are saying We are happy and want to share our happiness with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 02:56PM by bigred.

Date: June 04, 2011 08:56PM

"Joe and Molly Mormon request your presence at a dinner held in their honor"; which is how a recent invitation we received read.

That's tacky and narcissistic and if someone has to explain to you why then you probably won't understand.

Date: June 04, 2011 08:54PM

Plus typically sending a photo of oneself with a wedding invitation is just, well..cheesy.

It's not progressive, just cheesy.

out

Posted by: non for this ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 02:32PM

Damn bigred, what the hell is your problem? He was just expressing an observation, opinion. Maybe you need to chill out a bit!

Date: June 04, 2011 02:51PM

non for this Wrote:
> Damn bigred, what the hell is your problem? He
> was just expressing an observation, opinion.
> Maybe you need to chill out a bit!

Seems that the people finding any nit picky thing to bitch about and judge are the ones that need to chill. JMO. I guess I just get weary of the negative attitude of many of the posters here. Find something real to bitch about. Yes Mormons marry too young, I just don't think allowing the type of invitation to lower one's opinion of the neice/nephew/neighbor/friend says much about the person making that judgment.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 05:06PM

Maybe his quote was about more than just wedding invitations. Maybe it's what mormon wedding invitations represent that pisses him off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 05:07PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 04:45PM

I've never perceived Stray Mutt as being negative - actually, he/she adds lots to this board with a great sense of humor.

Date: June 04, 2011 05:07PM

I think we all have things that annoy us. Stray Mutt has the right to find certain things cheesy, but the point is that it is the choice of the bride and groom. Some people are into tradition and some are much more informal. It is a choice and really none of my business. I have a right to my thoughts about their choice, but it is still none of my business. Another factor that plays into it is money. Everyone doesn't have the money to pull of the perfect formal wedding such as Kate and William. If someone chooses to marry on the beach in jeans and announce it with mimeographed announcements they get to. It wouldn't be my choice, but that isn't the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 05:10PM by bona dea.

Date: June 04, 2011 05:20PM

Date: June 04, 2011 05:23PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> n/t

Agreed. That is what I said. I don't see why it bothers you so much, but I am not disputing your feelings. I prefer more formal announcements too.

Date: June 04, 2011 08:58PM

"John Doe and Family"...that is tacky and improper. Period. And that's it.

out

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.