Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 03:56PM

My church is thinking of purchasing a piece of property. The back portion of it has a high-voltage power line running through it.

I would opt for a different piece of property.

What I was told was that a church building can not be constructed under the power lines, but the parking lot can be paved under them. I would not want to park under the power lines either.

Is it just me feeling this way about not being anywhere near high-voltage power lines? I can't imagine them being safe to be around.

I guess if the building is constructed near the street, then it wouldn't be a major problem.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 05:24PM

I'm not sure what your question is.

Having such things on your property can certainly lessen property value.

Nature can topple the high voltage lines down to you, but it's very unlikely.

There are some who think the AC fields generated by high voltage power lines my negatively influence living things around them. Nobody has every proven it... so it depends on how into conspiracy theories you are, or how worried you are about your microwave oven.

Power lines are one of those things society needs, but they don't want them in their neighborhood.

I'm not sure if this helps... but I'd thought I'd throw something out before the board shuts down today.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 05:34PM

I THINK I've heard something about the high power ones causing cancer???? They are really ugly. All power lines in my neighborhood are underground. I never want to live with ANY power lines around my house.

Posted by: Hedonist ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 05:35PM

there is much research regarding the electro magnetic fields from power lines and the occurance of cancer near them. I wouldn't disregard as conspiracy....but I might not worry about a church being built there...since I won't be there.... but you may want to look into the research and see for yourself.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 05:41PM

There are some concerns about electromagnetic fields, but another problem is flashover, which can happen in damp or wet weather.

And sometimes things go wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdekH0UnWXk&feature=related

You could have a point. Buy some different property.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 05:53PM

Hey, why not? It could enhance the Power of God experience. Also the fires over the heads thingy (holy ghost) and whatnot.

Your church will grow (and glow) like crazy once word gets out.

Posted by: anona ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 06:07PM

..due to constant exposure to possible negative effects. For instance, I've read studies where one should not have ones bedroom/sleeping arrangement near the breaker box due to exposure to harmful electromagnetic fields. In a church, the exposure would be occassional and minimal ergo I doubt there would be any danger. Just off the cuff.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 06:28PM

When I was looking for my first house, I decided not to buy a very nice house for the price because there were huge powerlines visible out the back window. I just thought they were unsightly, and I was worried about being able to sell the house later. I still wouldn't have bought it for that reason.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 11:25AM

"are going to hold an emergency meeting today to take a good, hard look at the potential dangers" of building a church on the property in question.

I sent pastor and the church council the following via an email:

Dear Pastor and Council members:

I'm not sure who is on the church council. I hope I have the majority of you reading what I just located below.

My father worked in health safety for decades which made me very safety conscious.

Per our meeting today concerning the 5-acre parcel with the high power lines, I did a little research on the internet and came up with the link below. When you elect the "FAQ" option at the top of the page, you will access the information below.

My suggestion would be that we do more research on the hazards that we may encounter purchasing this type of property for church use.

Your sister in Christ,
Sandie

http://www.powerlinefacts.com/index.htm

6. Are electric fields from power lines dangerous to human health?

a. There is little evidence that electric fields at the intensities associated with power lines directly impact human health. However, these fields have the potential for indirectly inducing harmful reactions. It is undisputed that fields above 1 mV/m (millivolt per meter) can disrupt heart pacemakers and defibrillators. Electric fields of this intensity, while rare in general, are common immediately adjacent to transmission power lines. Also, one researcher claims that electric fields from power lines ionize particles in the air, and these particles are carcinogenic. This research has been validated by epidemiological evidence.

7. I live near a transmission power line. How do I know if I am in danger?

a. When assessing danger, distance is all-important. The current research seems to suggest that living further than 400 feet from a transmission line will provide an adequate margin of safety from magnetic fields. However, the very latest research suggests that pregnant women should never venture anywhere near a transmission power line, for even momentary exposure to high magnetic fields sharply enhances the risk of a miscarriage. They should avoid even driving under a transmission power line.

b. Those utilizing pace makers or automatic defibrillators should similarly avoid even momentarily venturing near transmission power lines.

c. Those concerned about the less-documented risks associated with particles ionized by electric fields should avoid outdoor exposures with 2000 feet downwind from transmission power lines.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:28PM

I mean a flaming fireball screaming out of the sky, and boyhowdy,
that would be all she wrote...

SLC
Electrical engineers kid

Posted by: halfbreed ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 12:31PM

The are two primary ways for utilities through property.
First is "Right Of Way" where the utility or municipal government own the property.
The other is a "Utility Easment" where you still own the land but the utility has the right to access your property to maintain the utility and the property owner is limited in what he can do with the prpperty. There should be specific language associated with the poperty parcel number or contract documents that describes the utulity easment. sometimes there is just a reference number and you have to look that up to find the specific details to the easment.
The county assesors office would be a good first stop. A local title company would be another good resource.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:27PM

Spent years of my youth inside submarines. Slept between torpedoes, high voltage, high pressure air, lube oil everywhere. Reactor plant & steam lines in back. Surrounded by sea water. Operated by teenagers with attitudes and substance abuse issues.

What could go wrong
go wrong
go wrong
go wrong

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:34PM

There's no danger in parking your car under power lines. Your car is insulated from the ground by rubber tires, making your car an effective dead-end for electrical circuits, and it takes a circuit for electricity to flow. Of course the air between the lines and your car is an even bigger hindrance.

Other than that, power lines are basically like magnets, and probably pose no greater risk than having a cell phone in your pocket.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:43PM

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 03:39PM

rock that was cooled in the presence of a magnetic field, so that one side is locked-in with more electrons than the other side (or with polarize molecules aligned in the same direction). Since positive and negative charges attract, the force in the empty space between them is called a magnetic field.

Power lines are basically hunks of metal with electrons moving through them (well, back and forth anyway). As the electrons move back and forth it creates an oscillating magnetic field around the wire. The electrons in your body might have a laugh being tugged one way and another in the presence of this field, and in some cases they might knock your DNA around a little bit which in extreme cases could lead to cancer, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Radio waves and cell phones are cool because we can control and detect that oscillation of magnetic fields and use it to transmit information across empty space over great distances.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:35PM

We have high-voltage lines running across a corner of our 700-acre ranch, about a quarter mile from the house. The most annoying and unpleasant thing about them is the constant humming.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 03:50PM

If you google EMF, you're gonna find all kinds of propoganda, pro and con.

However, mention has been made about circuit breaker boxes, cell phones, and microwaves. Even your computer is electrified. And how about that big screen TV?

Exposure to a congregation from PARKING under power lines during church services would be minimal. If the church decides to operate a day care facility (many do, to make ends meet), I'd keep the kiddie playground away from the power lines.

You were also given advice to check the deed, to see if the power lines are there by way of easement. If so, you cannot fence the property, unless gate keys are given to the utility company.

Frankly, you should get a humdinger deal. The power lines give you a great negotiating point. Emphasize that you are leery of giving the congregants cancer or interfering with pacemakers, and get a better price on the property.

Since you aren't talking about a home where people will be living there 24/7, the risk of exposure to an unfounded risk is very minimal. I say, go for it!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 04:04PM

how much time you spend close to the potential danger...

if only a few hours a week.... Prolly not going to be a problem;
as mentioned above, distance from wires to humans is the other first-order consideration.

I 'think' that laws mandate that the higher the voltage/energy, the higher up towers must be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.