Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 07:26PM

I know that I like coffee but not every morning - and that I like iced coffee better than hot. I learned I love sweet tea.

I know my favorite drinks all have rum in them and that I usually only have a drink. I always worried about drinking because my grandma was an alcoholic but I usually just have a drink every other weekend or so and am just fine with only one.

I know that "the hill I'm willing to die on" (as they say in the old movies) is lying. I really can't stand liars or play along with lies because it's more comfortable not to have to rewrite my own life. I've always considered myself honest before but I didn't know what I was willing to sacrifice for the truth. A lot.

I didn't know I was such an introvert - I was always pushed to be outgoing by my outgoing mom and the culture she raised me in. I'm so much happier with peace and quiet.

I learned to stand up for myself, which has brought me a lot of peace of mind. Like I am on my side for once, if that makes sense.

I learned by so-called TBM husband thinks the cross I wear is really sexy. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I learned it.

OK, your turn:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 07:51PM

ahh..this is fun!
I learned I like one cup of coffee and I too like sweet tea.

I learned I didn't need to be fixed by religion or anything or anyone.

I learned I could depend on my ability to use critical thinking and reason and logic and trust myself.

I learned that I do not like anyone thinking they need to tell me how to live!

I learned I don't have to take offense, or take things personally. It's just not necessary and is a sure trip out of peace of mind.

I learned how much I needed laughter and humor in my life on a daily basis.

I learned it's OK to be an extrovert, socialize with anyone, and enjoy myself, and use humor -- including in public with strangers.
When others laugh when they are around you, you've built a relationship that works to your advantage and it's a great way to build a rapport and help relieve other people's stress in the process.

I learned I have no need to be concerned about commandments, ordinances, rules, policies, of any religion. I'm much happier without that added layer.

I learned I could relax, have fun, let things go, and live in a much greater place of peace and joy and happiness than ever before. While those moments happened sporadically, in the past, - I find that kind of life is the norm now.

I found I can life in the present and enjoy it and release the past. Oh what freedom that is!
No regrets, no rehashing the past. That is over and done.

I don't have any need to category my behavior as righteous or sinful. Those ideas don't apply to me anymore.

That's just what I thought of ... off the top of my head.

I'm in a much better place now, mentally and emotionally.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:15PM

As a Mormon, I always thought I was a fairly tolerant and non-judgmental person. And I was, compared to a lot of other Mormons I knew.

But it wasn't until I left, that I actually became more of the person that I'd thought I was.

I sure like Me a lot better now.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:25PM

That there's no such thing as being "unworthy." We're all worthy by virtue of our beingness.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:31PM

1. I want the truth, whether it is pretty or ugly.

2. I owe Mormons NO justification or even explanation for my choices!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 08:33PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:26PM

That I can handle my life without magic.

That I didn't fly off into debauchery without the church's rules.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:29PM

One of the hardest things for me to leave behind was the black and white thinking- either it's all this or all that.
It's refreshing to hear/see/learn other POVs, cultures, ideas, art, and music even if I disagree or dislike it.

I'm also extremely addicted to coffee and tea. I can't get enough of the stuff. It makes me very happy/

I love horror movies and rated R movies and I don't feel guilty about watching them.

I like showing on my ladies and my tattoos. I also love my nosepiercing and will have it till I'm ashes!

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:30PM

SusieQ's list pretty well sums up my feelings. But I'm especially proud of "critical thinking and reason and logic and trust myself" as the revelation that has benefited me most.

But the revelation that was the most shocking to me was that the priesthood is meaningless. And priesthood holders are just ordinary men with made up titles in a bogus religion. That truly opened my eyes.

Thanks for asking!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:59PM

nebularry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SusieQ's list pretty well sums up my feelings. But
> I'm especially proud of "critical thinking and
> reason and logic and trust myself" as the
> revelation that has benefited me most.
>
> But the revelation that was the most shocking to
> me was that the priesthood is meaningless. And
> priesthood holders are just ordinary men with made
> up titles in a bogus religion. That truly opened
> my eyes.
>
> Thanks for asking!

I'm going to second the comment about priesthood being meaningless! That goes for all religions in my view. It's a bunch of unnecessary controls that don't allow adults to be adults!

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:24AM

I am a much better person than I thought I was. Within the church I was so consumed with guilt and self-hate for all the tiny little things that didn't even matter. I also learned that I was super judgmental like most Mormons, and I hope that I am slowly changing that. I learned that coffee and tea have more health benefits than the gallons of soda that Mormons allow themselves to gorge on. I learned that I can love my family without imposing stupid rules on them that have nothing to do with reality. The most important thing: I learned that I can walk away from things and people that are damaging to me- emotionally, physically or otherwise.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:35AM

This is what I have learned so far, but I know I still have a long way to go...

1. I don't like coffee unless it tastes like a candy bar, but I love iced frappochinos. (sorry if I spelled it wrong)

2. I prefer tea

3. Caffeine gives me headaches and makes me sleepy.

4. I have found the perfect pair of underwear cut...and it's not garments!

5. I don't automatically judge someone for their piercings, tattoos, sexual orientation, or if they are a working mother. Its not my business why people do what they do!

6. Salvation is a free gift from Jesus and I can't earn my way to heaven by being good. (not trying to be preachy, this is just what I believe for myself).

7. I'm in the process of learning how to have meaningful relationships that are not solely focused on religion. This is a work in progress with my TBM husband.

8 To accept my children for who they are and not try to make them into someone they are not. For example, my 7 year old daughter asked me what she should be when she grows up. Instead of me telling her that she should get married and have babies, I listed many different professions and somewhere in the mix I mentioned being a mom also. I told her it was her choice and she should do what she loves.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 11:51AM

1. I hate lying. I never used to think I was especially honest, but someone I was working with, in talking about me, said "Susan doesn't lie." And thinking about it, I really don't. Mind you, I'm not perfect.

2. I don't have to be religious or a believer. I'm not sure I've been very religious my whole life, even when I was a little Catholic girl. I have tried to be, but being religious just doesn't feel authentic for me.

3. I need to be authentic, whatever that means. For me, it's being myself and doing what I want to be doing. Not what someone else thinks I should be or should be doing. And that's not always easy.

4. Life is really good!

Susan

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 12:13PM

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:01PM

I can actually feel!

I am a much deeper thinker than I thought I was.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:09PM

jazzskeeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can actually feel!
>

Yeah, isn't that bizarre? I feel like I can almost literally see more colors now. Everything isn't a bland, greyish shade of color.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:09PM

I learned that I am a steely strong woman with tremendous courage.

I would have never believed I had it in me to go through all I have, and come out better than okay, at least on most days.

I also learned that a really good man could truly love me, just for who I am, all of me, just the way I am. To be loved and accepted completely has been a very new experience for me.

And I learned I am a good person, not because I was mormon, but just because I am me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 01:15PM by think4u.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:25PM

That I had wisdom within me, values and truths I already knew that I could trust.

That I wasn't a child of God. I was an adult - capable of being responsible for myself.

That the depending upon old men to do my thinking was obviously flawed - why did I have a brain? Why not just a brain stem and a reproductive tract?

That joy could be found in peace with understanding.

That uncertainty is a normal part of daily living and I don't need constant reassurance. Some things are uncertain until they unfold. Perfectly ok. I don't need to understand "the Nature of GOd" and the First Cause to enjoy my day.

and everything that everyone else said! So much to experience!

Anagrammy

Posted by: Snow ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:47PM

I learned that I haven't the slightest idea who I really am.

Sad, but true.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:59PM

I learned that I love coffee made in a French press, and that it tastes better when you grind the beans fresh every time.

I learned that homebrewing is a fun hobby and the end result is pretty tasty.

I prefer iced tea over soda, especially on a hot day.

I learned that a good man will love me for who I am, even though I'm human and never going to be perfect.

I learned the value of laughter on a daily basis, and not to take life too seriously.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.