Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 04, 2011 08:40PM

Watching the Donny and Marie Barbara Walters Interview was made much more interesting in my reading of Newell Bringhurst's book on Brigham Young.
http://www.amazon.com/Brigham-Expanding-American-Frontier-Biography/dp/0673393224

Apparently, Young "allowed" William McCary, a black showman, womanizer and aspiring prophet, to "entertain the troops" at Winter Quarters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McCary

Well, William got himself a white wife and a whole lot of trouble when he claimed the gift of being a prophet along with his many other talents.

My guess is in that dreary place and time old William was what was on T.V. and everyone was endeared to him from the reprieve he offered for them. That is all but Young. He was said to allow William to perform for the pioneers but in Bringhurst's book it sounded like Young was not enamored with the fellow.

Then after William was duly expelled for his aspirations and Young was back on the trail, Young was quoted in Bringhurst's book as coming down hard on the company (the advanced one) that he was with for their too jovial and he used the N word behavior.

I wonder what Donny and Marie would think if it was true and widely known that the Black Ban was largely due to their religious leader's distaste for one man's talent and spiritual ambition?

A whole lot of good people had to treat a whole lot of Black Peoples poorly because of one man's caprice and it was in the Entertainment Department.

Too bad Marie didn't get paired with a Black man in her stint on Dancing with the Stars.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 06:06AM

Interesting, the possibility that he may be at the root of the Mormon church's negative fixation with black people.

Date: June 06, 2011 06:32PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting, the possibility that he may be at the
> root of the Mormon church's negative fixation with
> black people.

He is the author of it.

I don't know how anyone could realize Brigham's Ban was a capricious and malicious act and think the man was a prophet of God.

Really? Thats Entertainment!

Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 06:40AM

But even now the LDS do not want black talent or fear it or feel uncomfortable around blacks

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 08:02AM

They have been taught since Brighams day to fear and loathe Black people. Even the 1978 policy change did not do much except thatthe membership accepted the change, but the attitudes still prevail. Afterall, most people over 40 still remember very clearly how their prophets warned them and taught them.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 08:35AM

Way. Intermarriage would be a sure way to lose any possibility of the celestial kingdom.

Date: June 06, 2011 01:34PM

I think his attitude towards minorities changed with his experience with McCary. He wrote slavery into the Utah Territorial Constitution after Mormonism was seen (before) as abolitionist.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:45PM

And I think this is a prime example of a church going astray. The founding Prophet Joseph Smith gave the Priesthood to Blacks.
The Priesthood was taken away in the new church in Utah by personal attutudes of one prophet, and all people of that race suffered for another hundred years.

Meanwhile, because the chruch can never admit that a Prophet was wrong they supported and expanded upon one simple verse from the Book of Abraham and their own prejudices until we had people teaching of being born into circumstances because of their premortal existence, keeping seperate blood supplies, and general teachings such as claiming it was a commandment from God.

Date: June 06, 2011 01:51PM

No wonder GBH worshiped Young's pragmatist version of Mormonism. It is also funny how NO ONE in modern Mormonism defends Young's Adam-God Doctrine much yet they defend Young as God's prophet's ban on Black Peoples.

Funny.

I think Brigham was jealous of McCary's dancing skillz.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:19AM

There is no way BY could have let him remain a Mormon and risk him stealing away his followers.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 04:14PM

Before this whole kaffafle JS adjudicated a case between Orson and a black man.

Not sure what happened, but Joseph found in favour of the black guy....the man was very gracious towards Orson, causing the prophet to comment, that there are any more spiritual persons nor a people more closer to God than the blacks.

This infuriated Orson and made him quite jealous...I mean a black man more spiritual and closer to God than he, I be a monkey's uncle [ha ha ha ha ha ha].

This came from a very outspoken, I will not let them dictate what I say Institute teacher I had [he was awesome, and i am sure he is not in the MORG anymore]

So this made it easier for them to institute their stupid ban!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 06:46PM

Utah (BY ruled by-with IRON HAND) had the CHOICE to enter the U.S. as a Territory as either SLAVE or 'FREE'.

altogether now, they (led by BY) chose:

to accept their territorial status as 'SLAVE';
after all... They Brought Their Slaves to Utah/Deseret WITH THEM!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 06:46PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: June 06, 2011 06:56PM

...one man's dislike for one other man.

I can't wrap my head around Young allowing one of his leader's white daughter's to marry a black man then later declaring such a union prohibited.

Seriously? One man banning an entire race of people because he didn't like one of them? Forcing most Mormons in Utah to accept something that their earliest leaders lobbied against and which helped expel them from a state?

Really? Talk about absolute power corrupting and the icing on this cake - Young is upheld as an exemplar of Mormon righteousness.

No wonder is successors came up with PropHate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.