Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: March 31, 2018 04:28PM

Or is everybody from Latin America a "minority" regardless of race?

This is, IMHO, a brilliant stunt by the Church. Make everyone in Utah think they have selected a "minority". I bet Soares doesn't see himself as a non-white person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 31, 2018 04:42PM

sharapata Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or is everybody from Latin America a "minority"
> regardless of race?
>
> This is, IMHO, a brilliant stunt by the Church.
> Make everyone in Utah think they have selected a
> "minority". I bet Soares doesn't see himself as a
> non-white person.

I know nothing about this particular person, but I do know that most Brazilians who we, looking at them, would assume to be white have at least some black ancestry.

Could this be what the church had in mind??

In other words, the church gets credit for their unprejudiced benevolence in picking a "minority," while the church itself (and its p.r. photos) will not be discomfited by the corporate and personal awkwardness which would accompany a pick who would "present" as other-than-white?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 31, 2018 04:46PM

considering all of the many other instances of MORmONISM raping and revising language to suit their own MORmON purposes that is a triviality, but you are definitely on to something

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 31, 2018 05:11PM

I don't know a single Brazilian that considers themselves Hispanic. Portuguese is the language spoken in Brazil.

The church might tout him as Latino or Hispanic though.

Maybe he is part Lamanite.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 09:45PM

He does speak Spanish.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:18AM

Agnes Broomhead Wrote:
> He does speak Spanish.

Do we know how well he speaks Spanish? We have numerous Azores Potuguese people in California who speak Portuguese. most of them can transition to Espanol relatively easily. Because of the different phonemes involved, it's usually much easier for a Portuguese-speaker to speak Spanish than for a Spanish-speaker to speak Portuguese.

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: March 31, 2018 10:34PM

Brazil's ethnic quagmire played a large part in the priesthood ban being lifted. Most Brazilians have some "Negro blood".

Posted by: brazilianhere ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 05:30PM

As a white Brazilian, I can say that I never thought of myself as non-white. In fact, when my American friends refer to me as non-white, I still think it is weird. There are LOTS of Brazilians who don't have a single drop of non-white blood in their heritage, especially in the South of Brazil, and myself and Soares are from.

Quick note: Soares' daughter was the first Brazilian to ever serve in a French mission. No surprises that she was majoring in French at BYU.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 05:39PM

He is whatever Cult HQ says he is and how dare anyone question them!....yeah right....

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 05:54PM

Keep in mind that you are speaking about an organization that conjured up an additional (fictitious) ( completely non sense) Hill Cumorah as needed to attempt to justify their OTHER insane completely detached from reality BOM based DoctUrinal garbage, even as the Hill Cumorah was very precious as an exclusive ONLY pin pointed supposed new world Book of MORmON location.

AS other LD$ inc executives are willing to pose as ASSpostHOLES, it is easy for Soares to pose as WHATEVER is needed and required in any instance to try to keep the tithing money rolling in.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 06:30PM

I have no idea if this Mexican 'tradition' has any comparable tradition in Brazil...

There are Mexican citizens, of Spanish descent, who can pony up genealogies that show no forebearers ever "mingled" their blood with brown skinned natives or Mestizos. There is a big such club in México City. Amongst regular citizens, they are considered very snobbish, very elites...

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:04AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I have no idea if this Mexican 'tradition' has any
> comparable tradition in Brazil...
>
> There are Mexican citizens, of Spanish descent,
> who can pony up genealogies that show no
> forebearers ever "mingled" their blood with brown
> skinned natives or Mestizos. There is a big such
> club in México City. Amongst regular citizens,
> they are considered very snobbish, very elites...

That is the origin of the casta system in Mexico. Certainly the most white (European) groups will become the elites in such a culture.

Probably a similar situation exists in Brazil. Geographically it is a huge country but racially, different groups tend to be concentrated in different areas, both on the state and local level. The more "white" (European) will naturally be the favored regions.

Date: April 15, 2018 10:40AM

According to Social Security anyone born south of the Rio Grand is Hispanic regardless of skin color.

My son was born in the Canal Zone and while I was stationed there. He regularly shows up as Hispanic on school and government forms. Once the school district tried to put him in the spanish speaking classroom. He doesn't speak spanish.

I had to sign forms denying him education in his "native" language.

Posted by: Joe666 ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:37AM

No more than an individual of Dutch descent whose ancestors came to South Africa in the 1600's. Still White and Delightsome - but on immigration papers or a visit to the US they are "African American" because of where they were born.

How many generations of family do you have to have to be a "native" of a country? After all, in the US "native americans" are just immigrants from an earlier time.

Date: April 15, 2018 11:53AM

I am often asked where in europe I most identify with.

I always reply that I am an American not European. My ancestore were a plymoth and Jamestown. I think 500 years ought to let me call myself an American.

Posted by: logged out this week ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 10:40PM

Soares was born in 1958. He would thus have been eligible for a mission in 1977. An article on the church website says that he was an active missionary when the ban was lifted. The timeline makes sense in that regard.

So he would have templed up *before* god changed his mind about black people. My understanding is that the church was a stickler about proving ancestry so as not to violate the one-drop doctrine/rule. While I have no idea when his ancestors arrived in Brazil, I'd bet he had to complete at least his four-generation chart in order to be approved for the temple and a mission, and that he is quite confident that he is Cain-free.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.