Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: June ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 11:47AM

I am thinking of sending my preschooler to vacation bible school this summer. Anyone have experience with any? Did your kids enjoy them? What kind of things did they do at the camps? Right now my child goes to mormon church most Sundays with my husband and I think it would be nice going to a different church's camp. Obviously I am going to research specific ones in my area, but I wanted some kind of idea what they are like before calling a local church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:42PM

Well, I'm probably the RFM expert at Vacation Bible Schools, since I've gone to at least one every summer since age 5 and have worked with one every summer since age 12, in at least 7 different denominations and in 3 different continents now......

Loved it so much even did VBS while trying to be a Molly Mormon for 17 years. Sigh.......

If you are still interested in having a Christian educational basis for your children, then VBS is just plain "good old-fashioned Bible teaching" and makes being a Christian a FUN and GOOD thing.

My little kids all go to two different weeks of VBS, in two different denominations, each summer and LOVE it.

Basic VBS Tutorial:

***One week of 5 days. Usually 3 hrs 9-12 or 1-4 Mon to Fri. Usually breaks the kids into classes about 8-12 kids each, with one primary leader and a preteen/teen helper.
***Each day the kids rotate through Bible Story time, Music, Snack, Games, Art/Crafts.
***Usually start and end the day with large group assembly. ***End the VBS week with a parent program with slide show, special music numbers, usually done the next Sunday in whatever church you chose to attend VBS, not mandatory.
***Costs can be anywhere from FREE to $15 or so for the week. ***They love having parent volunteers to help, if you have toddlers/babies usually you can keep youngster in the nursery for free if you're volunteering.

What do they learn???
***Some VBS programs "buy a package" from a central location (you'll notice many local churches doing the same theme) with a theme like "New York" or "Swamp time" or "Egypt" and do their 5 days around that theme.
***Some do a section of the Bible with Bible verse memorization being the theme, such as "Fishers of Men", "The 12 Disciples", etc, or memorization of the Books of the Bible (that was FUN) or something similar that they got an "award" if they completed it in the week's time
***Some just choose 5 Bible stories (Creation, Noah's Ark, Moses...) and do each day with that theme
***They usually learn 3-5 short Bible verses, a few catchy songs, do a fun craft each day, eat snack and play roudy, loud and fun games. Usually go home, eat lunch and take a 2 hr nap immediately after VBS!!!

Here's what I've learned in my 35 yrs of VBS you might want to consider and look into:

*** The smaller the church, the lower the budget for VBS, and the less "flashy" and packaged the week is.
***Might be lower budget, but makes up for it by small class sizes, better bonding with the teacher, better one-on-one craft time, better Bible story time. Just a somewhat better experience.
***Would be better for a youngrer or quieter child to go to a smaller VBS program.
***Your Baptist programs have more up-beat music, but can sometimes be "too much" for the young ones. Better go for Baptist VBS when older elementary.
***Your Methodist/Presbyterian VBS tend to be HUGE with large budgets and "flashy" programs. Very very well-done but a little one might feel a bit marginalized in large class sizes or intimidated in the large assembly times.

Lots of folks use VBS programs as "free childcare" but it's really a lot more. Yes, some indoctrination, but not like we had in Mormondom. Usually it's straight out of the Bible, if that's Ok with you.

Our kids are homeschooled so I usually like to stack their summers full of lots of activities like VBS to give me a little break and to get them their necessary "socialization" HAHAHA

Hope this helps you.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:43PM

My mom used to force me to go to VBS. I grew up Presbyterian, though.

There were lots of arts and crafts and musical activities. It was somewhat fun, but I would have preferred to be doing other things. I have never been very religious.

Posted by: kristine ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:50PM

When my granddaughters were a bit younger I took them to VBS at our Lutheran church. It was for one week from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and cost $10 per kid for the week. They absoultely loved it and wished it would go on all summer. Music, snacks, crafts, stories with a theme. Also outside games on the church grounds. Now the older one (a teenager now) volunteers and helps out. Usually it involves kids no older then 8 or 9.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 01:59PM

I've been a director of VBS--and kids enjoy them a lot. The observation that smaller churches with less money are less 'flashy' is accurate.

Here's the deal, though: the evangelical/non-denominational type churches use VBS to get membership. The directors books actually coach the teachers on how to take aside the kiddies and get them to 'ask Jesus into their hearts' and then get mommy and daddy to bring them to church on Sunday.

The mainstream churches (think Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, etc.) use the same programs but skip that nonsense. They aim to provide great family fun while teaching some Christian truths.

If you do send your kids, go with a moderately sized mainline denomination that isn't looking to convert you and your kids will have a wonderful time and make a lot of friends and learn some bible stories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 01:59PM by nwmcare.

Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 03:07PM

Oh yes. Excellent, excellent point about the smaller programs might be interested in gaining members for their congregations.

One summer our kids went to a mega-Methodist Church for one week, were fairly overwhelmed with the 1000+ kids in attendance but came home with really cool crafts and a CD of songs they leanred.

Then the second week was at a small Baptist Church, did popsicle stick crafts, had pop-rap-type songs they couldn't even remember, as well as a handbook titled "I'm a Christian Now!!" in their hands at the end of the week. But they liked that week because they got to know their teacher and their classmates.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:05PM

My kids went to Lutheran VBS each summer back when we lived in SLC. I mostly sent them to give them so real life experience so they wouldn't be drowned in Mormonism and the Mormon world view. Even though I was TBM at the time, they never came home with any info that bothered me...nothing was ever said against Mormonism or contradicted basic Mormon beliefs. It was a really great experience for them both and I feel really lucky they could see what good, happy people non-LDS were. It came in handy when we started out of Mormonism that they could see another life was possible. I think if you pick a VBS that basically agrees with what you believe and is pretty well thought of in the community, and isn't about recruiting, you should be fine.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 02:51PM

I wen t as a child. It was okay and there was not a lot of pressure. You might want to talk to them first and see what the program is like

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 03:03PM

I went to VBS as a child at a Nazarene church where they scared us with stories of fire and brimstone. I would have nightmares of their church sanctuary falling on top of me during an earthquake and would wake my parents up with my screaming.

My Mom wouldn't let me go back.

Make sure that whatever denomination is running it is emphasizing the loving Jesus instead of the judging vengeful Jesus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 03:11PM by kookoo4kokaubeam.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 03:05PM

I went when I was really young ( 8 or 9 ) to VBS Church of Christ in Detroit suburbia. I enjoyed it.

Ron

Date: June 06, 2011 03:12PM

I would also consider the denomination. Mainline churches are a lot less likely to proselytize or scare kids with hell than Fundies. Not saying all funamentalist churches would do this, but I would check it out and make sure your kidsaren't getting pressured or taught stuff you don't like.I'd also check to see that kids are safe, have adequate supervision and activities are appropriate.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 04:42PM

Please!

all posters & readers here... PLEASE number Mennonite churches (there are few) as Mainline!

In Seattle.. the group is a wholesome people with Lots of resources available to share. Dont have a 'zeal' for new members, but we do Welcome visitors!!

Sorry our property doesn't have a lawn for picnics, etc., but the one I first went (Toledo, OH) does.

mennos aren't 'bible thumpers' or anything else weird, although there are some minor variations from congregation to congregation... some of smaller ones get infulenced by STP... Same Ten People, haha!

either way.. except for other fringes (like the nazarene story above) most are pretty Bland

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 05:05PM

Mainstream Protestant VBS is a great way to teach atheist children about God without the fear and hellfire. They will have fun and not be pressured. I worked at the Presbyterian church and there was never a word about converting any of the kids. You might consider it a form of advertising for the church--getting the word out that they are in the neighborhood.

It's important that children have a basic understanding of the Bible stories so they can be part of the Judeo-Christian heritage and understand references. You don't want them made fun of in school when someone says, "Is your mom trying to be Noah?" and your kid asks, "Who's Noah?"

Like sex, make sure they know the basics from you at a young age so they are innoculated against a cult later.

Anagrammy

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 06:46PM

My SIL (a non-practicing Christian) sent her two children to VBS for several summers to give them some Christian background. I think her plan worked well. She raised two very decent kids who have enough background in Christianity, that if they ever want to join a congregation, they can do so easily.

Date: June 06, 2011 06:51PM

Whether you are believer or not, the Bible is a part of our culture and literature. If you find a good Bible school, it is a good way for kids to be exposed. I would just take the precautions I would take before sending kids anywhere and check it out.Make sure the kids are not being indoctrinated and that they are safe and happy

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 07:11PM

There are good science camps, technology camps, adventure camps, sports camps and all kinds out there. You can give your kids exposure to something that might give them an advantage or help them find their future career.

Summer camps can provide all kinds of one time opportunities.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 09:59PM

Most have reasonably priced summer programs designed to actually learn your kid a practical thing or two.

Why continue to f**k your kids up with religion when there's so much more out there?

Timothy

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 07:14PM

My children all went to vacation bible school, every summer. (We were TBM.) They wanted to go. They begged to go. So I sent them, not knowing what a positive influence it would be. They learned some good basic principles that were not taught in Mormon Primary or Sunday school: tolerance, love, honesty, kindness, acceptance of differences, the unconditional love of God....

As adults, they still remember some of the cute, catchy songs, about nature, love, everyday life.

They went to a Presbyterian VBS, and there was no recruiting.

Choose a VBS in your neighborhood, if possible. My children knew a lot of the other kids, which made it even more fun.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 08:33PM

One other thing you might check into: some churches have VBS in the evenings. They run 6 pm to 8:30 or 9 pm so that parents can come and help and often begin with a family dinner or include dinner (instead of snacks).

This is usually done in areas where both parents work or in farming communities when daylight hours are precious. These programs often have the parents participate--setting up, cleaning up, supervising, etc., while the usual teachers, music leaders, craft and games people do their thing.

Whichever program you end up with, I hope you and your kids enjoy the experience!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 08:45PM

VBS and other similar programs seem creepy to Mormons. It doesn't make sense. I bet they're just afraid that the kids will stop learning about Joseph Smith for a second. Mormons could have their own VBS with Mormony stuff, but they just don't.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 09:20PM

MWAAAAAAA!

I got nothing but love for you honey!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 09:44PM

Ours will be in July (Methodist). They break kids up by ages....there is always a drama time including singing, storytime, treat time, Physical activity time and craft time. People are in charge of each activity. It's fun for all. Ours is in the eve. - like 6-8:30.... time for moms to go do errands if they aren't helping.

Our theme this year has something to do with Mainstreet- how to show compassion, give assistance and work hard on main street. They are also teaching the Beatitudes....and common Bible stories. So much....I can't remember it all. There is no push for converting anyone. Just sign up and go. There is often online sign ups.

I went as a child and it is fun for new kids to be there to socialize with others. Kids bring their cousins, neighbors, etc. Many find it an enjoyable way to spend almost 3 hrs.every day in a certain week each summer. They plan to be home that wk and not on vacation. Hope you find a good place.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 09:51PM

I went as a kid and loved it.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:05PM

I grew up in a baptist childrens home and went to V.B.S. every year. It was a ball. Don't remember very much religion except the basic stories of Jesus. We had a lot of crafts and singing,

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.