Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 07:56PM

I listened to Radio Free Mormon's dissection of how the church handled the Bishop scandal and found it compelling. The narrator looks at the various pieces of evidence over time, compares the church's various statements, and tells a story of monumental dishonesty and cynicism.

You know the bottom line. The church knew about Bishop for decades, hid the truth, then tried to demonize the accusers and disavow all responsibility. What the RFM analysis does is show the depth of the church's complicity and how poorly it covered its tracks.

It is definitely worth a listen.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/2018/03/radio-free-mormon-28-church-sex-scandal-cover/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 08:06PM

THANKS big time for posting this link. I so agree that it is a compelling link and very well presented by a prosecuting criminal attorney.

I so concur that "[w]hat the RFM analysis does is show the depth of the church's complicity and how poorly it covered its tracks".
Ha, Ha, the MormonCult is not as smart and sneaky (only sleazy) as it thinks it is, and met its match by the attorney who wrote this fine coverage.

Date: April 04, 2018 08:28PM

Yes, I was surprised the piece didn't resonate on RfM although there surely has been a lot on Bishop lately.

I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was elderolddog-level analysis.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 10:15PM

You damn them with faint praise...

ETA: I listened to the whooooooooole thing and now I feel I've been insulted! 15 minutes, tops, for me to set out the time lines and all the then available facts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 12:04AM by elderolddog.

Date: April 05, 2018 12:27AM

Yes, but could you hold everyone's attention with your Joe Friday routine?

That, my friend, is the question!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 09:10AM

I've seen his Joe Friday routine (but only on Sundays).

Yes, he could :)

Date: April 05, 2018 02:16PM

What? You guys are in the same ward?

;)

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 09:05AM

EOD is capable of far more...he could keep four balls in the air including his own...ten plates spinning on sticks...while at the same time rebutting the JFK grassy knoll..and the top five reasons Wendy married Rusty...we are in the presence of true greatness...I haven't listened though I've heard this is a great rundown...perhaps the tscc became bloated with arrogance and thought its mighty lawyers and money could cover any multitudes of sins...the piper seems to be playing...been a tough couple weeks for the one true land corp masquerading as a church...you gotta say that smear dossier just reeks of sinister...if you listened closely outside kriton mckonkie late at night...you might hear the scurrying of rats plugging holes in the good ship

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 11:53AM

Thanks for this link, very interesting. He does a good job of laying it out.

If he is correct, the biggest fallout will come from TSCC covering this up for decades, not the fact that one of their officials is a predator.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 09:24PM

I’m going to listen to the podcast tonight.

Unfortunately, common elements of abuse include power, secrecy, impunity, and cover-ups. Just a guess, these will be fully present.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:55AM

No, I did not listen to the whole 2 hours...

How do we get the BYU police force de-authorized as an official Utah peacekeeping organization? A private university ought to pay for its own private security, not a state-authorized one.

I cannot imagine the Morg taking an action against Bishop—to do so would be to admit there’s no discernment, and the BYU police may have been obstructing justice.

Remember Dallin Oaks’s defense for the Hofmann scandals—the church was also a victim? I’m getting pretty tired of this victim defense. J. Ruben Clark’s Boner.

Date: April 06, 2018 01:43AM

I think it may be different this time. The MeToo movement indicates that the country is far less tolerant than it used to be, and there are a lot of Mormon scandals in the news right now.

If you were to watch the press conference McKenna Denson did with her attorneys today, which you probably don't have time for, you'd see that the woman is taking the church on publicly and directly. There is no question of an NDA given the Mormonleaks leak; and that interview with Bishop has him admitting to multiple acts of sexual misconduct as well as saying he confessed all this to Elder Wells. They are going to seek discovery from every entity involved in this scandal, including Wells and some of the others. Also, Denson and her attorneys show the approach the church has employed--the smear tactics--to discredit her, thereby smearing the church.

I think the tide may have changed. It's clear what happened this time and the plaintiff is a formidable woman. Moreover Sam Young was there today, meaning that the adolescent interviews and the sexual assault themes are merging.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 06:27PM

Very clear from his presentation of the facts and timeline that TSCC is working hard to cover-up its involvement in this, to shift blame for not reporting Bishop to the low-level leaders, and to smear the victim. Just awful and reprehensible behavior for any person or corporation, but especially for a so-called church.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 07:56AM

the path to getting a testimony must come through learning that covering up cover ups is an honest transparent way of doing things. However I could never have time to study this story unless the amazing Correlation program incorporates it into our lesson plans. In the meantime the blessed theme of this decade is obedience :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.