Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 11:59AM

Given than LDS Corp is run by some of their oldest members (First President is 93) what does this corporation of octogenarians and beyond do for their fellow elderly coreligionists?

It has to be significant right? I mean elder abuse, poverty, social networking collapse, health crisis after health crisis, they have to have some compassion and love for these members closer to the veil than most others? Right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 12:00PM

It ropes them into "missions" they can't afford (and are sometimes physically incapable of doing).
And then convinces them to give any money they've managed to save over the years (after tithing) to the church when they die.

So supportive...

Date: April 05, 2018 12:51PM

By their fruits ye shall know them.

In this world of interconnectedness it is more than a shame that a corporation known for being run by elderly does nothing for them.

Obviously, their gods don't care about their aging membership. And a big irony is that these octogenarian leaders don't appear to care what "The World" thinks and make it one of their virtues. But not caring about "the widows" and the aged who have dedicated their lives to Mormonism is downright evil.

But they are too busy working with their un-emeritus. They are too busy focusing on their youth. Too busy acting like a for profit organization to care about a huge aging population who if they had setup programs to help would be a huge influence on their youth, their image, their message.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 03:33PM

You just summed it up perfectly.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:13AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It ropes them into "missions" they can't afford
> (and are sometimes physically incapable of
> doing).
> And then convinces them to give any money they've
> managed to save over the years (after tithing) to
> the church when they die.
>
> So supportive...

I still don't believe the elderly give all their saved money to the morg after they die through a will. Does this sh#t really happen? I am feeling the anger rising. When i first heard this i called bullsh#t, the level of evil of the morg just went up a few notches.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:25AM

Here is a page showing the different ways LD$, Inc. will allow you to donate after you die

https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/gift-planning/how-to-give/testamentary-giving-tools

This one shows the things they will acccept in addition to cash

https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/gift-planning/what-to-give

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:27AM

Here's the church website page where they 'teach' senior members how to enrich the church via their (the senior members) deaths.

It's a cute page!

https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/gift-planning/gift-planning-services/beneficiary-designations

Check out the list at the left! They do their best to cover all the bases. And know this: Jesus wants you to give all you can to his church. If you doubt this, ask any mormon prophet.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 12:01PM

Just a guess—it makes them feel guilty for enjoying reruns of The Golden Girls.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 12:09PM

They make sure they pay tithing on their meager Social Security checks.

Date: April 05, 2018 12:58PM

The Law of Affinity for their elderly. Send the check and expect the blessings. No more Home Teachers to see how you're doing? Oh, well. Want to read your octogenarian hero in The Ensign's First Presidency Message? Oh, well. Want LDS Philanthropy to come over and show you how they will use what's left of what you have? Sure!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 01:01PM

Same as they do for all the rest. Absolutely NOTHING! (Say It Again) [Frankie Goes To Hollywood]

It KEEPS TAKING THEIR MONEY and stealing their families time (useless meetings, callings, calling them on missings, work-positions).

What can it do for them?
Suddenly lead them down the path of righteousness after misleading them all their lives?

No such luck.

It cannot turn around.

It's been going the wrong way forever.

M@t

Date: April 06, 2018 12:20AM

Yes it has. They don't care as long as the money keeps flowing.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 01:05PM

With a promise of salvation, it takes their money. Puts it to good use, I am given to believe.

Date: April 05, 2018 01:28PM

Given the need, LDS Corp would dispute the recollections of the elderly regarding how things used to be.

Date: April 05, 2018 01:30PM

Like Joseph Smith married a young girl who wasn't his wife?

Date: April 05, 2018 01:31PM

yep! and death oaths and the RS being run by the ladies, and MIA being a lot of fun, etc., etc.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 01:44PM

I'm sure there will be more answers. I remember reading a few experiences with how their elderly parents were treated.

My mother couldn't figure out why they didn't at least look in on them given that my parents were both quite sick and they had 2 sons who have disabilities. My one disabled brother would watch out for them, although he had to walk to their house as he couldn't drive.

My aunt was shocked by how poorly she was treated after my uncle died. She was in her 60s and quite active, but she was treated as though she had no value to the church. She now has Alzheimer's. Her son moved home to care for her.

They only care about getting their money. My very wealthy uncle who had been a SP kept threatening his kids he was going to leave it all to the church, but he didn't!!! ha ha ha

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 02:28PM

In my ward, they used to budget a special banquet for the "80s club". They were real good about getting the YM and YW involved by interviewing them and creating nice posters about their lives. And hold onto your hats, most of these posters were very secular. It was nicely done and well attended. To me, these were some of the best members in the church. And then we got a different bishopric with a shitty attitude. All of sudden, they dropped this social and others. Members even offered to pot-luck and donate for this event and the pisshead bishop declined.

Now a very personal story about my Dad. Before my father passed away from a stroke, his health faltered during his last year. Even though I was making daily phone calls 2000 miles away, I had no idea that he was not attending church. It wasn't until I made an emergency trip to see him in the ICU when I found out that the church was neither checking up on him nor offering the sacrament once a month. It made me very angry because he deserved better treatment as a loving human being.

In a way, my Dad had the last laugh before he passed away. Some of the ward's PH pinheads went down to the hospital to see him. He pretty much zoned out when they tried to talk church to him. Later, a sister came into his room with her special needs daughter. The leaders were amazed. My Dad came out of his fog to talk to her for nearly 15 minutes. He then drifted back into unconsciousness after the little girl left.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 02:44PM

Lots of benefits for older members....

They assign them chapel cleaning duty.....that's good exercise for seniors!

They send them on missions so they can't be around their kids and grandkids....that prevents getting nasty colds and flu from them!

They take tithing money from them.....that reduces their taxes!

They encourage them to attend the temple as much as possible....that means they'll be doing baptism for the dead and washing and anointing, which means they'll be washed regularly and stay clean.

They offer a free meal of bread and water once a week.....that means they'll always have food to eat.

They tell them what to eat, drink, wear, think, say, read, watch on TV, associate with, and so much more.....that makes their lives so much easier with dementia, not having all those pesky decisions to make.

They assure them they will be with their families forever after death.....that gives them peace of mind to know that they will recognize their family members again after having dementia while alive!

Life as a senior in mormonism is like retiring in Florida with millions of dollars!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 03:14PM

My dad had a stroke while serving a mission with my mom. They were released early. Both my parents lost their testimonies in the time between their mission and the time they passed away. When my dad was in the assisted living home his friends and family would visit him but he never got any visits from the church at all. He mentioned this to me. Some missionaries came and he was hoping the elders would pop in and say hi. They didn't and he was a bit bummed. My dad paid a lot of money to the church over his lifetime. He died wondering if it even was true at all.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 03:52PM

My grandma (mid-80s) lives in downtown SLC and is very active in anything church-related.

I think she's still a part-time missionary at the family history center. She has done it full-time in the past.

When she's not visiting her many kids/grandkids/greats, she's busy busy busy with family history, Various church-sponsored classes, temple "work", and helping visitors at the family history center. Her whole life is centered around her family and the church.

Lately she has been sending emails to the whole family group about the importance of church attendance, how listening to conference will answer all your questions, families are forever, we may not understand why but the prophet knows what the lord wants, etc. etc.

I get the impression that several of her posterity are finished with the church. I don't know how many or who they are for sure because no one dares to admit it to anyone else.

I also get the impression that she may be hearing things from the top leadership. I imagine something like: "Brothers and Sisters, as grandparents you have a great responsibility to strengthen your posterity. We implore you to work to bring your children and their children back into the fold. In order for all to benefit from the blessings promised in the temple, our families need to live in righteousness and obedience."

I don't know this for sure, but her emails lead me to believe that top leadership is guilting the old folks because their grandchildren are doubting and leaving.

The church isn't getting any $ from her because she doesn't have any. Her kids are taking care of her living expenses. They do get a lot of free labor out of her, though. She's healthy and independent and jumps to do whatever is asked of her. She gets to go to the temple and save all her ancestors.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:03PM

Although I will say my dad had the perfect response to the home teachers, etc.

SNORE.

The minute they hit the doorstep, he'd wake up and say "What's for lunch?"

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:16PM

My husband was in the Bishopric when he had his first stroke. The other counselor became bishop shortly after. He hasn't contacted my husband in the 5 years since his stroke. My husband is broken hearted that all but one priesthood friend has abandoned him. I think he sees the cult for what it is now but would never admit it.

I quit paying tithing as soon as husband turned finances over to me. That really ended attention from anyone in the church.

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:46PM

Before I resigned I cooked for the Elderly once a month in the Ward building,A couple were called to provide a lunch and some form of entertainment etc,the poor couple were elderly themselves and finances were poor,they asked me to help out,they got no funds from the Ward and I provided the food each month.

The Ward was held up as a great example of how they helped the Elderly,once a month,free lunch and some games,which did not cost TSSC a penny,in the Ward it was very evident that only certain families were worthy of visits and care,much like a mutual appreciation society.

Date: April 05, 2018 04:50PM

This is like the anti-Conference thread.

I heard a snippet of Conference where some guy was praising Russell M and saying that he expects the old man to live 10-20 more years since he is in good health at 93.

Praise to that man who communes with the old guys. All other old Mormons can suck it if they don't have time and/or money to give.

Date: April 06, 2018 12:26AM

I feel like i have been at war with those old guys since birth. More than live a real life i would rather see them go down.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 06:28PM

My aunt (just turned 80) and her husband (who is 86) regularly clean the temple and have helped clean the conference center. I think this is HORRIBLE. I'm glad they are that healthy that they can do what they do, but they shouldn't be required to do cleaning. They have 7 children and a ton of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They also don't have much money. The children support them.

Anyway, they couldn't get tickets to conference. My daughter was able to get my aunt a ticket and, for the first time in her life, she was able to attend conference.

Date: April 06, 2018 11:32AM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My aunt (just turned 80) and her husband (who is
> 86) regularly clean the temple and have helped
> clean the conference center.

> Anyway, they couldn't get tickets to conference.
> My daughter was able to get my aunt a ticket and,
> for the first time in her life, she was able to
> attend conference.

Wow. Just wow. Sounds like Scientology.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 07:56PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 07:57PM by Void K. Packer.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:08AM

From watching my mother age I'd say they do absolutely nothing. One woman comes as a VT but I think she gets more support from Mom than she gives. She has Mom to talk to and Mom just listens.

I got Mom to stop paying tithing so that may also have something to do with their lack of interest in her. They realized that if they come to ask her anything I will be there to make sure they cannot fleece her. No priesthood come at all now. Evil apostate daughter scares them. YAY!

Date: April 06, 2018 11:41AM

Let me see if I have this "most correct."

God, Elohim, Jesus, and Holy all desire that men in their 70s to 90s lead the only organization on the earth truly authorized by them?

Through these men these deities setup programs for youth, women, children, and men to participate in that I will call "Programs for The Living."

Through these men these deities setup programs to reclaim dead people for them (the deities.) Many older Mormons get involved in the various activities around these programs. So these are what the aged have for them? "Programs for The Dead."

What about the process of getting dead? There is nothing that these deities, currently choosing aged men instead of teenage boys, have wanted to reveal to their "servants" around helping devoted lifelong members have some "Programs for The Living" for them before they die?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 11:54AM

We all know that the Mormon church only takes - it rarely, and then reluctantly, gives. I was stupidly a convert many years ago. My mother kept harping on me that the church will not take care of us (wife and I) when we get old. She was right. I am glad we paid diligently into 401Ks and paid off the house early by not paying tithing for nearly 25 years. I can not emphasize that enough to folks - do not give your hard earned money to the Mormon corporation. It does not need it. Your family and local charities deserve your devotion. If we can save folks from the corporation, their lives will be richer emotionally, spiritually and financially.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:03PM

Mormonism sucks people dry and tosses them aside when they get old.

Even younger Mormons don't get help when they need it, it's quite an eye-opener for many who paid in faithfully for many years.

Worse than the Mafia, who usually take care of their own.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 02:06PM

It does NOTHING if (while) they are alive.

It will PREACH about itself after they're dead though, at their funeral.

It will also dress the dead in trademark rags.

Then it will forget them - though it doesn't even care [unless they left a perpetual tithing (bum) fund for TSC (The Stinking Church)]. It won't remember them.

M@t

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 02:24PM

At 82 I say EL ZILCHO !!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.