Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:49AM

"We preach tithing to the poor people of the world because the poor people of the world have had cycles of poverty, generation after generation," he said. "That same poverty continues from one generation to another, until people pay their tithing."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900016023/dowry-is-not-the-lords-way-in-kenya-lds-president-nelson-says-tithing-breaks-poverty-cycle.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:51AM

The thought makes reason stare.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmdnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 12:33AM

Bamboozled pounded the nail into the board with one strike of the hammer. Use their own words against them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:02AM

Poor people! I have the solution to your poverty!
Give me your money!

Asshat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:46AM

I'm betting that's the translation most African's are hearing. Even 3rd world countries have some internet access. It won't take them 50 years to figure out mormonism is a detriment to their lives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:08PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Asshat.

Hie's response, which I am quoting here, is quite polite and amazingly restrained compared to what I am thinking and feeling about Nelson's "encouragements."

I can't think of any words which are strong enough to convey my outrage...

Nelson has no idea...and willful stupidity is the very least of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:36PM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Asshat.
>
> Hie's response, which I am quoting here, is quite
> polite and amazingly restrained compared to what I
> am thinking and feeling about Nelson's
> "encouragements."
>
> I can't think of any words which are strong enough
> to convey my outrage...
>
> Nelson has no idea...and willful stupidity is the
> very least of it.

Just be careful not to cuss tevai haha jk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:48PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just be careful not to cuss tevai haha jk.

:D :D :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:40AM

Oh, I see! That's why there is no more poverty in Utah. Wait.... Nevermind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:53AM

God didn't send us here to minister to your needs -- he sent us to ask for your money.

Don't buy your bride, but buy your way into the temple.

Behold the prophet of the one true church, who doesn't understand the poverty cycle, bashes your traditions, and asks for your money instead of asking how he can help you.

This whole story makes me sick. So glad to be out of the one true cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 10:11AM

The prosperity gospel rears its ugly head once again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 10:14AM

Nelson added that if he'd had to pay for his wife, "I would have missed five children, because only with my last five was I out of debt."

WTF does that even mean??? My God the hypocrisy of these people. It's maddening.

You were a heart surgeon, and for the last many decades you arse has been receiving massive spending allowances from your so called church? WTF???

The irony of it all - coming from a church of polygamist founders. Pure brutal unadulterated hypocrisy at its finest.

Leave those poor people alone. You racists MF's!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: J Lingo ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:02PM

Obviously he never had a nine cow wife

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:06PM

Nelson's statement that "[he] would have missed five children, because only with [his] last five was [he] out of debt" left me perplexed, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 10:15AM

So the wealthier more prosperous Euro/US/Asian and some Arab nations owe their economic success or ongoing growth to Mormons paying tithing then?



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 10:56AM by Zeezromp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:49AM

By his standard Islam would then be the trew church. Those faithful Kuwait citizens are so wealthy they don't have to work. They just import Mormons and others to work FOR them. Shall I convert?

I think I know why so many people believe in Hell. It's because they want to believe there is an extra hot place for people like him to live for eternity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:21AM

It the same theme throughout mormonism.

The BofM is a true record because of how you "feel" about it. Its truth has nothing to do with facts of science or your actual human experience.....its feelings.....its all in your head.

Now switch it to money.

Tithing is a true principle because of how you "feel" about it. Its truth has nothing to do with facts of economics or your actual human experience.....its feelings.....its all in your head.

So they get the poor Africans to turn over their money AND feel good about it, regardless of fact or personal experience.

Horrible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:28AM

Fucking vulture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:46AM

This makes me sick!! How can you speak to a group of people, who can barely afford to live, and ask them to pay tithing?
F&#@ing assholes!!
They must be hard up, having to ask for the African people's money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:49AM

Wrong outfit.

Those despised Catholics build and run hospitals, soup kitchens, orphanages.

Mormons build malls.



By their works . . .


Edit: no. Not hard up.
It's called "greed."
Trying to fill the bottomless emptiness of their desperate souls with material stuff.
Billions and billions are not enough.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 11:54AM by zenjamin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 04:18PM

I don't believe the greedy MormonCult can ever believe it has too much money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 05:07PM

Nelson, let's see your evidence that once a person pays their tithing poverty disappears. Oh right, evidence means science and you keep that compartmentalized, don't you?

Science can be used when you say because you SAY you speak for Jeebus and Gawd. You leaned on science full out, didn't you, to give you the tools to understand human anatomy and especially the heart? Science can be amazing, can't it?

You know, if my single poverty-stricken Mother would have followed your counsel on tithing, I guarantee she. myself and my siblings would have been toast. We would have died....plain and simple. There was only so many pennies, and I do mean pennies, and none to spare. But you don't care to know about noble people like my mother, do you? No, you just care about what you have decided to care about----prestige, power, and money.

Nelson, your heart is cold.

Why not warm it up and really learn about the people and culture of Africa. If you have the ability to take a joy ride around the world, you are capable (I think) of REALLY taking a ride of joy in educating yourself and getting rid of the silly outdated worldview you hold.

But, your time is fast running out.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 05:10PM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:34AM

Apparently Mrs. Nelson also encouraged tithing in her talk --

"'Think about something you need,' she added. 'What would make your life better right now? What are the eternal laws that govern that blessing? What eternal law would you need to live so that you could receive that blessing?'
The eternal law that governs finances is tithing, Sister Nelson said."

Elder Holland encouraged it indirectly --

"Another speaker on Monday night, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, also encouraged east Africans to prepare for the temple. He asked them to qualify, receive and carry the temple recommend required for entrance, even before the temple is built."

My feeling is that with a temple planned for Nairobi, money is on the leaders' minds. They want temple sessions full. It would be embarrassing for the church if they built a temple and nobody came.

ETA: I'll answer Wendy's question...think about something that I need. Some extra cash would be welcome. What are the eternal laws that govern that blessing? Show up for work every day, and keep developing my career. Keep looking after my health. Be frugal. Save as much money as possible.

There's nothing really difficult about it, Wendy.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 02:45PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:55AM

Pay your tithing so you can live in squaller and look up at the white, empty, air conditioned/heated/plumbed, useless building kept by tscc. They better put in heated showers because that will keep the temple at capacity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:40AM

""We preach tithing to the poor people of the world because the poor people of the world have had cycles of poverty, generation after generation," he said. "That same poverty continues from one generation to another, until people pay their tithing."
=====================================================================================

Boat is sinking sooooo, Captain Nelson heroically drills holes in the bottom.

Let the water out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tig ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:04PM

Thank you for the chuckle. This thread needed comic relief.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kathleen ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:56AM

Did Nelson ask them to sell their blood?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kathleen ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:56AM

Any gold in their teeth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:01PM

If anything he should have talked about fast offerings. Members helping members.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:20PM

FasT Offerings go straight into Salt Lake's coffers.

Any $ coming back locally is strictly supervised and controlled.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:41PM

Fast Offerings used to stay at the stake level. But now, the offerings are sent to the COB and the Stake President has to ask for money from the fund for needy members. I'm sure some of this money is pilfered for building temples and other expensive ventures.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 05:32PM

Tells you how long it's been since I was associated with the church.

When I was a branch president all fast offerings were kept in the branch. Of course I spent every penny of it on branch members. May be why I lasted about a month.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:09PM

This is disgusting! Isn't there someway we can get national/international news to pick this up? —An American religious nut case blames poverty on not giving a multi-billion dollar cult money.

Hopefully, Afican members will see that Mormonism is just as corrupt as governments that prey on the very people thy’re supposed to help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:32PM

If there was a video of it, John Oliver might be interested.

He's dished the mormon tithings thing before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:50PM

It needs to be a news source that Mormons watch.

John Oliver would do a great job, but I'm not sure it would reach the right audience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:31PM

Maybe it's not their fault? Maybe it's just mormon Jesus, writing their scripts for them? Maybe they, the GAs, feel bad about it, but mormon Jesus makes the do it?

Good ol' mormon Jesus is a ghawd to fear!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:09PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it's not their fault? Maybe it's just
> mormon Jesus, writing their scripts for them?
> Maybe they, the GAs, feel bad about it, but mormon
> Jesus makes the do it?
>
> Good ol' mormon Jesus is a ghawd to fear!

(Cussing) damn right he is. Bible jesus doesn't hold a candle with mormon jesus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:55PM

So despicable. It makes me sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:11PM

Not a millimeter off the beaten path.

Same for the poor, destitute elsewhere, the Mormon God is an Equal Opportunity Opportunist!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:16PM

Don't recall Him asking for tithing, though he did encourage people to give up their livlihood to follow Him and serve others.

I would think TSCC should be in those communities helping to provide services like health care. A doctor member (who has since passed-away) of the Christian church I attend founded a clinic in Uganda to give prenatal care and nuitrition to pregnant women because the rate of birth defects and problems due to inadequate nutrition in mothers and infants was very high. His wife is continuing the project even though she has battled cancer. They work with through a local charity, http://barhd.net/

So in comparison, giving a speech promising wealth from tithing to TSCC is crass and infuriating.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:54PM

numbersRus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't recall Him asking for tithing...

Luke 11:42

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.”

Without neglecting the former (giving a tenth). Tithing.

:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:23PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:27PM

Plum out of mint, though. Even ate all the Girl Scout Thin Mints.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 03:16PM

numbersRus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plum out of mint, though. Even ate all the Girl
> Scout Thin Mints.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY could get a tenth of my GS Thin Mints outta me! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:41PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:06PM

(Cussing) I am fucking really mad right now. This shit has got to come to an end, some way and some how. You don't fuck with the minds and the money of the poor. It's a real sin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:09PM

Interesting. Today we have learned that it was impossible to climb out of poverty prior to 1830, because there was no one true church to collect tithing. Before 1830, economic growth cycles did not exist to raise general standards of living. Throughout recorded history, peasants could not work their way up to the middle class through hard work and good fortune, because no tithing.

Thank you, Russ, for your inspired version of "Drunk (on mormonism) History."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:13PM

God does not make people rich because they send him money. When will people understand this?

Any money voluntarily given should be used to cover basic expenses,allow for some recreational activities to help members socialize, and the rest could be for helping the poor.


There is NO reason to cover a church's worldly investments, especially not when regular members are not allowed to enjoy the profits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 03:15PM

Elyse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God does not make people rich because they send
> him money. When will people understand this?

...and also understand that giving a church or some pastor money isn't sending "god" money anyway...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:14PM

Just look at Nelson and Holland's faces: Doesn't it just make you want to run right up to them and hand them your last dollar? And Wendy the Wonder Woman says: "You, the Saints of Kenya, could set an example of joyfully freeing our young people from the chains of this practice and thus begin living 'not after the manner of men.""This practice" could also be interpreted to be tithing, polygamy,or building malls.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 03:00PM

That’s the way things are done in a high demand religion. Wait until these tithe-paying Africans read about City Creek Mall and the puny 1% of tithes actually helping people.

Even if paying tithing is beneficial to members, as a way to remove subconscious blocks against prosperity, it also benefits a pestilence that has no business existing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 03:48PM

Shouldn't be surprised.

This is the same guy that had his wife sell her blood.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 03:48PM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 06:00PM

Poverty stricken African saints are needed to pay for a week's worth of grounds keeping for the City Creek Mall while Utah saints follow the prophet's words "Let's go shopping.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 10:51PM

Here's my reaction to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_DL4pN8vOc

What the effing hell!

Existential crisis Dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:28PM

They are poor because of their government.They were poor centuries before JS was even born.
So, if a tiny percentage of the country tithes, they’ll be rich?
Likely, like here, if they tithe, they’ll be more poor

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ceciland ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:38PM

What really freaks me out are the comments of people on that deseret news article...did anyone read them? Oh my gawd!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:40PM

I should have put TBM daughter. I try to ignore those things these days. Another of my fb friends, a neighbor, also shared it and liked it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 12:31AM

Purely criminal, IMO :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In


Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.